105 replies to this topic

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

He will be our top striker, like he was end of last year. Unfortunately not by much, and the bar is very low. Fabio is better than nothing, but ideally we can get someone who is a decent upgrade over these guys.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

He will be our top striker, like he was end of last year.

This statement is a little misleading. Klimala started on 10/30 and they both started on 11/3. Then Klimala missed the last regular season game through suspension. Fabio started the playoff game, but that may have only been bc Klimala let the team down by getting suspended for the season finale.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I don't know how you can say he is better than Klimala.   Statistically they are a wash, and Klimala is better athletically and gets himself in position for more xG.  Fabio is certainly more likeable.   

Neither are good enough to be our top guy.

Klimala has missed too many easy goal scoring opportunities.   the only reason why he is getting playing time is because we have no other capable forward on this squad.

By default, anything that could resemble an avg MLS forward could be considered a better option that Klimala. that is why Fabio is better than Klimala. 

As i said before, he should have never left in the first place. people wanted an alternative and got stuck with fletcher when a full preseason would have done wonders for fabio. 

if we cant find any other forwards, then i would rather have Lacava and Sowe be our number 1 and 2 options at the end of the season. it would be better for their development then be in exile.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
If Fabio stayed I thought but clause would have made him DP. No way he was a DP based off last season.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Alas, Fletcher is paid like a DP but plays a Barlow.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Im assuming theres no chance Fletch is here for the second half of the season.

If the options are Fabio, Fletcher, no one, or Barlow, Im taking Fabio. But not at a contract that locks us in like we have with Klimala.

That wouldnt give me much hope for any silver this season though. To feel like we have a good shot at a Cup, wed need to bring in Fabio AND a proven, clinical DP striker AND release Fletch and cut Barlow.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Lol
But slower

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Statistically Klimala gets himself in position

This does not pass the eye test for me.
Klimala never seems to get into position.
Team seems to play around him more than through him.
Ball seems to bounce off him; he is awkward.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

This does not pass the eye test for me.
Klimala never seems to get into position.
Team seems to play around him more than through him.
Ball seems to bounce off him; he is awkward.

He has the 5th-highest xG in MLS over the past 2 seasons.

He has the worst G-xG in the league during that same period by 1.75 goals.

If he finished at even an average rate, he'd be almost as productive as Raul Ruidiaz.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Lol
But slower

And less accurate

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Im assuming theres no chance Fletch is here for the second half of the season.

If the options are Fabio, Fletcher, no one, or Barlow, Im taking Fabio. But not at a contract that locks us in like we have with Klimala.

That wouldnt give me much hope for any silver this season though. To feel like we have a good shot at a Cup, wed need to bring in Fabio AND a proven, clinical DP striker AND release Fletch and cut Barlow.

in reality, the contract does not matter.  it does not hurt you from signing any other DPS in the future. 

Fabio fits a need and role on this team. if we need to dump fabio, klimala or any other players to sign a stud, we can always loan them out to another team or rb2. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

in reality, the contract does not matter.  it does not hurt you from signing any other DPS in the future. 

Fabio fits a need and role on this team. if we need to dump fabio, klimala or any other players to sign a stud, we can always loan them out to another team or rb2. 

It does matter if RBNY arent willing to take the hit. Who would pay us Klimalas salary as a loan fee? If Fabio has the same level of season he finished 2021 with and he was a DP, who would pay us a DP salary as a loan fee?

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

It does matter if RBNY arent willing to take the hit. Who would pay us Klimalas salary as a loan fee? If Fabio has the same level of season he finished 2021 with and he was a DP, who would pay us a DP salary as a loan fee?

does not matter.

For salary cap purposes, if a team in Europe agrees to take on klimala on loan he is no longer in MLS and no longer a cap hit.

Klimala salary is not a lot of money compared to what other euro bench players are making. It is a very affordable rate for euro teams.

Look at how much fletcher is making. A terrible player but makes more money that klimala.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

does not matter.

For salary cap purposes, if a team in Europe agrees to take on klimala on loan he is no longer in MLS and no longer a cap hit.

Klimala salary is not a lot of money compared to what other euro bench players are making. It is a very affordable rate for euro teams.

Look at how much fletcher is making. A terrible player but makes more money that klimala.

I agree that Klimalas salary isnt that much compared to what some Euro bench players are making. But why would a Euro team take him even at a discount. He isnt scoring. No one is going to take him. And definitely not at his salary, where you can get a proven goal scorer.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

I agree that Klimalas salary isnt that much compared to what some Euro bench players are making. But why would a Euro team take him even at a discount. He isnt scoring. No one is going to take him. And definitely not at his salary, where you can get a proven goal scorer.

Prove goal scorers are difficult to obtain. The smaller clubs sign for potential or the possibility that he will be a goal scorer. Again, his salary is not that much.

Same situation applies to Fabio if he comes and becomes a bust.

MLS is not like the nba or NFL where a bad salary can doom you. You can loan out those bad contracts to other leagues. What might be a bad contract in MLS might be a decent contract in south america or europe for the same talent level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users