15 replies to this topic

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
(wasn't sure where to post this so I went straight to BTDH)

This weekend in Newark there's an Ecuadorian street festival (music, food, drinks, kiosks). It's taking place adjacent to Newark Penn station (in other words not very far from our stadium). You'd think this is prime real estate to have some RBNY presence - street juggling team, reserve players signing autographs...hell even Red Bull girls selling cans of the new RBNY special edition can.

Nope. Nothing here. Seems like yet another wasted opportunity. Attendance from NY fans will be tough for the next few years given the PATH situation, but the majority of people at this festival are NJ-based - the club should be jumping at these opportunities to promote the team.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
They wouldn't come to the games anyway, why even waste your time and money at this point.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

why even waste your time and money at this point.

The Ecuador MNT plays Peru @ RBA on Sept. 5.
RB can do whatever marketing it wants then.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

I 100% agree with Regulator and am surprised by the two bitter responses. Satan. How do we know locals wouldn't come to games anyway? The team has never made any effort to court them. Jake do you really think marketing to fans for the 2 hours they are in RBA, while watching a game, will have any impact? Sorry but both those comments are from the stone ages of marketing.

I live out of state now, but just came back to the area and stayed with an old friend. He lives in Yonkers and is a life long sports fan, NOT a soccer fan. From the minute he locks his apartment door he can be at Yankee Stadium in 15 minutes and sometimes less. NYCFC has realized young people that are SUPER close to the stadium are the ideal demographic. NYCFC has had people in his neighborhood bar watching games and talking about the game and the team. He went to a couple games and was treated like royalty by NYCFC. Guess what? Now he is a season ticket holder and becoming more and more of a fan each day. When he described his experience with NYCFC it made me want to cry. How can RBNY be so pathetic and make such little (zero?) effort to take care of their fans and bring in new ones.

This street festival Regulator is talking about is exactly the thing RBNY needs to be at. We always talk about RBNY competing against something like 12 NYC professional sports teams, right? Well thats the dumbest idea ever. There are more than enough soccer fans in RBNY's neighborhood to fill RBA every game of the season. Why are people in the Bronx Yankees fans and those in Queens Mets fans? Get the idea?

Marketing these days isn't about showing off your product and convincing/tricking people to give you money. It's about building community and creating positive associations with your brand. Think of it like a relationship. If you meet some girl and ask for her to go on a date 90 seconds later (or 30 sec in a TV ad) she is going to laugh and say no. If you run into a girl daily, and treat her with kindness and respect (aka building trust and affinity) she is much more likely to say yes to a date. Before love, affection, or spending money, one must build trust. Once you trust someone, something or have a positive association with that entity, you are much more likely to agree to their suggestions or fork over your money.

People in Newark and Harrison must have no idea how to feel about RBNY other than it clogs up their streets about 20 days a year. RBNY could do 10000x more than they are to get involved in their community and win over the low-hanging fruit. Seriously the locals are the EASY fans to get. Convincing someone from NYC to take the train all the way out to RBNY or some Jersey family from 1.5 hours away, is stupid and inefficient. There are a ton of empty seats to sell each and every game. The easiest and most cost effective way to sell those seats (by a country mile) is to win over some fans in the neighborhood. It too simple, too obvious, and absolutely soul crushing that RBNY has made no attempt to do so.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I ... am surprised by the ... bitter response ...
Jake do you really think marketing to fans for the 2 hours they are in RBA, while watching a game, will have any impact? those comments are from the stone ages of marketing.

I am not bitter. I wish that RB did outreach everywhere. Perhaps I am a cave man, but I think that making someone welcome in your own home and inviting them to return, is preferable to trying to invite them to your house while they are at some elses party.
https://nypost.com/2...-a-neanderthal/

Think of it like a relationship. If you meet some girl and ask for her to go on a date 90 seconds later ... she is going to laugh and say no. If you run into a girl daily, and treat her with kindness and respect (aka building trust and affinity) she is much more likely to say yes to a date. Before love, affection, or spending money, one must build trust. Once you trust someone, ... you are much more likely to agree to their suggestions

For many of us, Metro/RB has been a dysfunctional relationship. Think of that crazy GF. You know, the one you met in a sleazy bar or a crazy party. After another crazy night together, you wonder why you still see her. You want to stop, but have this insane idea that someday she is going to make you happy.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts
I'm not bitter either, I just believe the locals would rather watch whatever team they follow on tv instead of checking out the beautiful stadium in their backyard.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
The point is that in this particular case it doesn't cost a ton of money and effort to try anyway, even if it doesn't work.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I'm not bitter either, I just believe the locals would rather watch whatever team they follow on tv instead of checking out the beautiful stadium in their backyard.

this team never bothered to go to after players that would move the needle with those ethnic groups. full stop. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Right Back

Right Back

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:RedBullOut
  • Supports:Metro, RedBullOut

I 100% agree with Regulator and am surprised by the two bitter responses. Satan. How do we know locals wouldn't come to games anyway? The team has never made any effort to court them. Jake do you really think marketing to fans for the 2 hours they are in RBA, while watching a game, will have any impact? Sorry but both those comments are from the stone ages of marketing.

I live out of state now, but just came back to the area and stayed with an old friend. He lives in Yonkers and is a life long sports fan, NOT a soccer fan. From the minute he locks his apartment door he can be at Yankee Stadium in 15 minutes and sometimes less. NYCFC has realized young people that are SUPER close to the stadium are the ideal demographic. NYCFC has had people in his neighborhood bar watching games and talking about the game and the team. He went to a couple games and was treated like royalty by NYCFC. Guess what? Now he is a season ticket holder and becoming more and more of a fan each day. When he described his experience with NYCFC it made me want to cry. How can RBNY be so pathetic and make such little (zero?) effort to take care of their fans and bring in new ones.

This street festival Regulator is talking about is exactly the thing RBNY needs to be at. We always talk about RBNY competing against something like 12 NYC professional sports teams, right? Well thats the dumbest idea ever. There are more than enough soccer fans in RBNY's neighborhood to fill RBA every game of the season. Why are people in the Bronx Yankees fans and those in Queens Mets fans? Get the idea?

Marketing these days isn't about showing off your product and convincing/tricking people to give you money. It's about building community and creating positive associations with your brand. Think of it like a relationship. If you meet some girl and ask for her to go on a date 90 seconds later (or 30 sec in a TV ad) she is going to laugh and say no. If you run into a girl daily, and treat her with kindness and respect (aka building trust and affinity) she is much more likely to say yes to a date. Before love, affection, or spending money, one must build trust. Once you trust someone, something or have a positive association with that entity, you are much more likely to agree to their suggestions or fork over your money.

People in Newark and Harrison must have no idea how to feel about RBNY other than it clogs up their streets about 20 days a year. RBNY could do 10000x more than they are to get involved in their community and win over the low-hanging fruit. Seriously the locals are the EASY fans to get. Convincing someone from NYC to take the train all the way out to RBNY or some Jersey family from 1.5 hours away, is stupid and inefficient. There are a ton of empty seats to sell each and every game. The easiest and most cost effective way to sell those seats (by a country mile) is to win over some fans in the neighborhood. It too simple, too obvious, and absolutely soul crushing that RBNY has made no attempt to do so.

This 1,000 percent. Very well put. 

#RedBullOut

Rats get fat, good men die.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts
Metromaniac01 you do make a lot of good points but in reference to nycfc and how they treat their fans they are clearly not doing something right either, whether it's the stadium, the play of MLS or whatever the fact remains that their attendance has dropped off a ton since they first started and it drops every single year. They started off with 20k season ticket holders and are now below 13k season tickets and overall attendance drops every year too.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Metromaniac01 you do make a lot of good points but in reference to nycfc and how they treat their fans they are clearly not doing something right either, whether it's the stadium, the play of MLS or whatever the fact remains that their attendance has dropped off a ton since they first started and it drops every single year. They started off with 20k season ticket holders and are now below 13k season tickets and overall attendance drops every year too.

Pretty much what I was coming to say. I agree with the overall sentiment, but NYCFC should not be the bar. They are by no means the gold standard in MLS. They have plenty of attendance woes.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Just to play devil's advocate in regards to the story of your friend in Yonkers. I've lived in Yonkers for the past year, 20 minutes to Yankee Stadium door to door, and would have no idea NYCFC even existed, if I wasn't already a RBNY/MLS long time die hard. I've seen as much RBNY gear as NYCFC gear (which is very, very little in both cases). I'm not sure I've ever seen NYCFC signage on the Metro North trains. Your friend is not wrong, obviously. Just giving a different viewpoint to illustrate that they may not be hitting a home run (pun intended) in Yonkers. 

As I said in my previous post, I do agree with your overall sentiment. I am not sure why the club doesn't have more of an effort made in Newark/Harrison. They seem to have a reasonable presence in Hoboken/Jersey City, which is great. But, they seem to have bypassed Newark/Harrison to make that their priority. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i see enough ads and signage randomly for NYCFC in Manhattan. not many folks wearing the gear though. so yeah, i think they do "more" in the exposure sense. 

ftr, i don't count it when I see a generic RB truck on the street. or an ad for the bevvy. once in a while i'll see a poster of the team or some electronic billboard ad at an MTA bus stop on some avenue, not much else. maybe there's more signage in the subway, especially at Herald Sq, and other hub/transfer points? 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

Pretty much what I was coming to say. I agree with the overall sentiment, but NYCFC should not be the bar. They are by no means the gold standard in MLS. They have plenty of attendance woes.

Just to play devil's advocate in regards to the story of your friend in Yonkers. I've lived in Yonkers for the past year, 20 minutes to Yankee Stadium door to door, and would have no idea NYCFC even existed, if I wasn't already a RBNY/MLS long time die hard. I've seen as much RBNY gear as NYCFC gear (which is very, very little in both cases). I'm not sure I've ever seen NYCFC signage on the Metro North trains. Your friend is not wrong, obviously. Just giving a different viewpoint to illustrate that they may not be hitting a home run (pun intended) in Yonkers. 

As I said in my previous post, I do agree with your overall sentiment. I am not sure why the club doesn't have more of an effort made in Newark/Harrison. They seem to have a reasonable presence in Hoboken/Jersey City, which is great. But, they seem to have bypassed Newark/Harrison to make that their priority. 

I agree with all of that. I hung around with my buddy in Yonkers and I don't recall seeing any NYCFC signage or gear. We went to some hipster brewery, that would be the type of place for NYCFC to have watch parties and be involved. The idea behind my buddy is that because he is so close, once he checked out a game and was treated right, he went again and so on. To be fair it probably was lucky for NYCFC that he showed up in the first place. I think NYCFC should be working Metro North just like I think RBNY should be working the PATH and their local neighborhoods.

I don't want to say NYCFC are getting it right. My friend told me he had "good, very close" (probably corner or endline) seats for $350 and if he missed a game he was invited into the club level with all kinds of free food and booshie shit that his girl really liked for the next game. No limit on that. The staff was super respectful about checking in on him if he missed a game, and wanted to make sure he felt appreciated. Is this life changing? No. But for a casual who is looking for something to do with the girl. It sounded like a cheap, convenient, relatively nice day out.

The idea is that it's so much easier for local fans to come and go to games. The time and cost associated is much lower. If RBNY were going to do any marketing I would focus it in the local neighborhoods. I really believe in this, so when I hear about these wasted opportunities like Regulator described, I get frustrated. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

This weekend in Newark there's an Ecuadorian street festival (music, food, drinks, kiosks). It's taking place adjacent to Newark Penn station (in other words not very far from our stadium). You'd think this is prime real estate to have some RBNY presence - street juggling team, reserve players signing autographs...hell even Red Bull girls selling cans of the new RBNY special edition can.

Nope. Nothing here. Seems like yet another wasted opportunity. Attendance from NY fans will be tough for the next few years given the PATH situation, but the majority of people at this festival are NJ-based - the club should be jumping at these opportunities to promote the team.

they had large set up and street team at the June 2017? Portugal day fest.  You see the huge interest from that group.  

From what I recall this happened routinely in the past - seems now not so much.

Though I do agree that they should continue outreach.  Maybe free tickets for Harrison and $5 tickets for the surrounding towns.  (still feel like this would not make a difference which then tells you something).

They enough local players you would think that would count for a few hundred/thousand fans a game but apparently not.

OR come and get a free AIR WICK should bring in droves after the stench last weekend. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users