General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

The bandwagon will be gone without you.

Anyone in the world can be a Monday morning quarterback.

So youre saying its better to assume someone sucks, rather than give them a fair shot?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Earlier you accused the club kicked Robles to the curb. Are you saying now they shouldnt have released him, allowing him the freedom to go exactly where he wanted?

No. Someone wrote that no MLS team would want any of our players. I replied that 2 have already found other MLS homes, and named several that IMO would make other rosters in this league.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

GMoney

GMoney

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

So youre saying its better to assume someone sucks, rather than give them a fair shot?

No, I know Hamlett sucks.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

No, I know Hamlett sucks.

If were talking Hamlett, of course I agree. I thought the subject in question was Thelwell.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

¯\_( ツ)_/¯ I got other things to stress about on this team. The guy who came on Feb 3rd and people are calling for his head Feb 24th is not one of them. To each their own.

I thought you were talking about Hamlets moves, not Thelwell. Im following now.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

No. Someone wrote that no MLS team would want any of our players. I replied that 2 have already found other MLS homes, and named several that IMO would make other rosters in this league.

The other poster was referencing players we could have moved to improve our 2020 team and you referenced BWP and Robles specifically.  BWP wasn't on the roster after the 2019 season ended, so we could not have moved him for anything without resigning him.  And, Robles is basically the same case because we released him, so as not to kick him to the curb.  But yes, we could have held on to him and traded him.

I agree though, the are a lot of players currently on the roster that other teams would love to have.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

People on these pages make it seem like running a 'real' club is no different from playing fantasy football. "Get some business done." None of us knows what's been going on behind the scenes. Who knows who we've tried to 'do business' with who's turned us down? Just because Milo, and now 'Euro Milo,' speculatively throw names around by the dozens doesn't mean these are players just waiting by the phone for Hamlett's or Thelwell's call. Give Thelwell six months. 

Why should fans give Thelwell six months to make an impact? The expectation should be that he hits the ground running.

This is a club in turmoil. The roster is weakening. Attendance is sagging. Morale amongst the fan base is very low. The coach is bad.

If everyone twiddles their thumbs while Thelwell gets until the end of August to do anything at all, Red Bull could be out of the playoff picture at that point, or not close to securing some number of home playoff games.

This is a different situation he's walked into than at Wolves, where fans are completely happy to finish mid table and not win any trophies. Red Bull may not care about winning an MLS Cup but the fans do and Thelwell has to start delivering sooner than later.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Why should fans give Thelwell six months to make an impact? The expectation should be that he hits the ground running.

This is a club in turmoil. The roster is weakening. Attendance is sagging. Morale amongst the fan base is very low. The coach is bad.

If everyone twiddles their thumbs while Thelwell gets until the end of August to do anything at all, Red Bull could be out of the playoff picture at that point, or not close to securing some number of home playoff games.

This is a different situation he's walked into than at Wolves, where fans are completely happy to finish mid table and not win any trophies. Red Bull may not care about winning an MLS Cup but the fans do and Thelwell has to start delivering sooner than later.

Six months would be mid-August, right after the summer transfer window ends, that seems like the right time to start grading him.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I would love if Thelwell made signings this window but he honestly from his personal perspective has no incentive to. Hamlett blew last season and this offseason and he has a new boss as a result of it.  No one adds oversight to an operation that is viewed to be working well.  issue is that Thelwell's objective is to win eventually and more importantly keep his job. Blowing $3mm in GAM and making a meh DP signing 3 weeks into the job goes against that.  Like why would Thelwell rely on Hamlett's homework over the offseason knowing he isn't that good?

If the job was my livelihood I am having the scouts run me through every player they have considered (intraleague and abroad) to see if they are good/they are looking at the right pieces.  I am asking the data people and Armas what they think are the biggest weaknesses on the team.    I am talking to Ryan McCaffrey to understand the academy pipeline to dictate which positions we need to supplement with younger prospects. Only then would i start identifying new targets assuming he has a wider network than Denis.  

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

I would love if Thelwell made signings this window but he honestly from his personal perspective has no incentive to. Hamlett blew last season and this offseason and he has a new boss as a result of it.  No one adds oversight to an operation that is viewed to be working well.  issue is that Thelwell's objective is to win eventually and more importantly keep his job. Blowing $3mm in GAM and making a meh DP signing 3 weeks into the job goes against that.  Like why would Thelwell rely on Hamlett's homework over the offseason knowing he isn't that good?

If the job was my livelihood I am having the scouts run me through every player they have considered (intraleague and abroad) to see if they are good/they are looking at the right pieces.  I am asking the data people and Armas what they think are the biggest weaknesses on the team.    I am talking to Ryan McCaffrey to understand the academy pipeline to dictate which positions we need to supplement with younger prospects. Only then would i start identifying new targets assuming he has a wider network than Denis.  

All of this........but is he even in the USA and working for RBNY yet?

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Thelwell is still awaiting his visa

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

I thought there was an agreement that he would leave Wolves at the end of this month. So he'll be here on Monday to start off the fresh new month and season....

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Thelwell is still awaiting his visa

Do like everyone else and come first on a tourist visa!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

he'll be here on Monday to start off the ... season ...

Really? Arriving after the home opener?

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

I thought there was an agreement that he would leave Wolves at the end of this month. So he'll be here on Monday to start off the fresh new month and season....

60-90 days...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users