• Please log in to reply
447 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,070 posts

So we're supposed to ignore 2.5 years of evidence for one game?  I just don't rate him enough right now to trust Etienne as a day in and day out winger.  Our defense this year was fantastic, but we were exposed on the wing (especially late) when it came to crunch time vs. Atlanta.

Depth option is OK.  He's not a daily starter and we need to upgrade that position.   We've needed to upgrade the wing for 2 years.

This is correct.

Personally would trade Etienne while he still may have some value.  He's changed his fight-level for the better which has been nice but he's just not a scorer. He misses too many opportunities and even the goals he scores seem like mistakes.  

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
Agree on need for more talent ahead of DE, disagree on long term value. Dude is 22, I think by 25 he's 10g/10a player. It'd be so metro if he was, but for someone else. Like a Haitian McGee.

This team doesn't have that much creative talent with the ball to just dismiss him. Who on this roster can beat defenders 1v1? Kaku, Murillo, Muyl sometimes maybe. Royer is a crafty Lindpere 2.0 but he doesn't break any ankles.

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

This is correct.

Personally would trade Etienne while he still may have some value.  He's changed his fight-level for the better which has been nice but he's just not a scorer. He misses too many opportunities and even the goals he scores seem like mistakes.  

I actually think DE7 is going to have a breakout year.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Agree on need for more talent ahead of DE, disagree on long term value. Dude is 22, I think by 25 he's 10g/10a player. It'd be so metro if he was, but for someone else. Like a Haitian McGee.

This team doesn't have that much creative talent with the ball to just dismiss him. Who on this roster can beat defenders 1v1? Kaku, Murillo, Muyl sometimes maybe. Royer is a crafty Lindpere 2.0 but he doesn't break any ankles.

Sign better talent, let Muyl/Etienne/etc keep fighting for minutes and pick up spot starts.

As a side note, you know things aren't great when a right back and Muyl are #2 and #3 on the "who can beat people" list, and I say this as a large fan of both Murillo and Muyl.

SoapyDish

SoapyDish

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Arsenal

I take Muyl and Etienne over 90% of MLS journeymen and Ivan's out there that we could/would otherwise have. With the added factor of their age and durability they are (imo) great squad players. Even if we got some magic unknown South-American DP3 they can't play every July game in Houston. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,461 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia
Koffi signed (again?)

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

Koffi signed (again?)

Looks like it's just a reminder. We announced this last season, but he was loaned to the USL team (although he didn't play with them at all) until 2019 when the HGP tag/first team move became official.
2013, 2015 and 2018 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Supposedly Robles is getting a contract extension tomorrow so we will see actually how much it is for.  Sam Stejskal implied that it may be a DP contract.  

Good for Robles I guess but I thought he signed an extension with us recently, and I'm not the biggest fan of goalie DPs.  

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

Supposedly Robles is getting a contract extension tomorrow so we will see actually how much it is for.  Sam Stejskal implied that it may be a DP contract.  

Good for Robles I guess but I thought he signed an extension with us recently, and I'm not the biggest fan of goalie DPs.  

Supposedly a fake Sam account. Red Bull picture was just referencing upcoming season.
2013, 2015 and 2018 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

rhactl7

rhactl7

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Good. I love Robles and he is a club legend, but as a GK he should not be getting a DP spot when there are only 3 available. Especially when we have a very competent backup.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Supposedly a fake Sam account. Red Bull picture was just referencing upcoming season.

I'm struggling to wrap my head around the guy who took the time to create a fake account for an MLSsoccer.com editor

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Good. I love Robles and he is a club legend, but as a GK he should not be getting a DP spot when there are only 3 available. Especially when we have a very competent backup.

Since we will never use the third spot otherwise, it doesn't matter.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Tymatt

Tymatt

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls/MetroStars
It looks like Hamlett said we are adding a hgp I assume Omir Fernandez and also another piece in the coming week. I’m hoping for something exciting but a dp quality winger is probably too much to hope for

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

I saw this, and was going to say this in response:

Since we will never use the third spot otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
In about a month from now we will know whether or not Marcus Epps is the marquee signing for the offense this offseason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users