377 replies to this topic

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

I'm also in the camp that we were never getting real arena updates besides the scoreboard. There's no reason not to announce these things unless you're full of shit and aren't doing them. Regular season is over in like 3 months lol

The attendance for every nycfc vs red bulls game has been less and less for each regular season game. Even more so for the games at Yankee stadium where the drop offs are really noticeable.

Red Bull claims all the games were sold out so no reason to post the figures but anyone that was actually at the games in 2017 and 2018 know they weren't legit sold out.

These numbers show a bigger drop off and I'm expecting under 30k for the August game. I personally hate going there and I haven't gone back since 2016 and I never plan to go back unless it's a knockout game.

Yankee Stadium
June 2015 - 48,047
May 2016 - 37,858
July 2016 - 33,613
August 2017 - 33,679
July 2018 - 30,027
August 2018 - 30,139

Agreed. Attendance has definitely dipped. I actually think the DC game drew a better crowd than the Boy City game last year.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Come on, that's just not true.

In England, its universally understood, and generally explicit in the stadium rules.

https://sports.stack...ball-supporters

In Argentina, some teams don't even allow visiting supporters in the stadium.

In Italy you have to have a special "Supporters Card" saying where you are from in order to buy a ticket, and they won't allow you to buy one outside the visitors section.

Try wearing a Real shirt into Camp Nou and see how far security lets you get.

"Persons responsible for security and control are instructed to expel any supporters of the visiting team that enter the area reserved for supporters of the home team (meaning, anywhere except the visiting supporters section)... If there is no seat in the visiting sector, the offender shall be expelled from the premises or simply refused entrance in the first instance."

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

In England, its universally understood, and generally explicit in the stadium rules.

In Italy you have to have a special "Supporters Card" saying where you are from in order to buy a ticket, and they won't allow you to buy one outside the visitors section.

You never see traveling supporters outside of the designated section(s) in England either. 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

You never see traveling supporters outside of the designated section(s) in England either. 

That's because fans of the home team would tell them to fuck off and give them shit for the entire game if they sat in their section. Here, everybody must be nice to each other and not be negative in any way...

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

As well in the Bundesliga. Those leagues have implemented such measures to eliminate hooliganism. In South America, certain derbies dont allow away fans at all! Just look at what happened during the Copa Libertadores Final between River Plate and Boca Juniors! The 2nd leg had to be played in Madrid due to security issues OUTSIDE the stadium!

As much as pundits want to hype up MLS derbies, we are not at the level yet of hooliganism. Outside of some bad apples, the general public are calm. Even in the NFL, where fans, like the Philly Eagles, who are douchebags, you can go to Lincoln Field with a Giants jersey. Just expect heckling on another level all game and if you have a thick skin and level head, what do you care?

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Figured you were talking about England. Monitoring home team stands in general makes sense. Italy/Argentina/the Balkans make sense too.

"Virtually everywhere" and "strictly enforced" for neutral stands in the whole world are definite exaggerations, however.

E.g. Classicos in Spain definitely have fans of both teams mixed in the neutral areas (a quick Google search even pulls photos of adversarial fans in the home stand of Camp Nou, at their own risk, I guess.)

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

That's because fans of the home team would tell them to fuck off and give them shit for the entire game if they sat in their section. Here, everybody must be nice to each other and not be negative in any way...

Partially that, but the home club also makes it challenging for rival fans to purchase tickets outside of the traveling supporters section. Not impossible, but it's a hassle. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Figured you were talking about England. Monitoring home team stands in general makes sense. Italy/Argentina/the Balkans make sense too.

"Virtually everywhere" and "strictly enforced" for neutral stands in the whole world are definite exaggerations, however.

E.g. Classicos in Spain definitely have fans of both teams mixed in the neutral areas (a quick Google search even pulls photos of adversarial fans in the home stand of Camp Nou, at their own risk, I guess.)

Neutral stands are explicitly that.   All stands are usually home supporters stands unless identified otherwise.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Come on, that's just not true.

It's true. From my experience in spain it's hard to get tickets unless your a member of the club or a season ticket holder. They get first dibs to buy extra tickets. If there are any left overs, those tickets then get sold to the public. It can be difficult to get a single tickets to any meaningful games. That is why you wouldnt see random fans in dif sections.

Traveling fans have their own section.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

argy league banned visiting supporters due to violence. Copa Argentina holds the games at "neutral" venues where both sets of fans can attend. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
South American rivalries go to another level where rival fans refuse to go to their rivals stadium, even for a neutral National Team game! Recently occurred in the Copa America when Brazil played in Porto Alegres Gremio stadium which hosted Brazil. Gremio rival fans of Inter refused to attend the game to avoid issues.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

crazy shit down there. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

argy league banned visiting supporters due to violence. Copa Argentina holds the games at "neutral" venues where both sets of fans can attend. 

Argy is a different world on this.  Brasil too.  You're risking your life for some of these derbies.

#RedBullOut

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

They may be there, just not wearing colors.
And may not have far to travel, either.
London has 5 or 6 PL clubs each season.
Liverpool & Manchester have two PL clubs as well.,
IIRC, at one time Everton & Liverpool fans sat together.
Perhaps that was the Scousers v. All philosophy.
In my youth, at games in London, no one wore colors anyway, except for scarves. Now, kits are ubiquitous.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Imagine if the MLS Cup was hosted at RBA this year.

The tarps would stay up, right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users