thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Looks like Ali Curtis per bigapplesoccer.com. I like it

What's to like exactly? I know nothing about him. 

copaantl98

copaantl98

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars and USNT

Sources: Ali Curtis to succeed Andy Roxburgh as Red Bulls sporting director

http://www.bigapples...rticle_id=39718

Judge: Mr Griffin, you even tried to bribe me with a subscription to Grape soda today, which I already have!

I'M AN AMERISNOB.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Looks like Ali Curtis per bigapplesoccer.com. I like it

Link here - http://bigapplesocce...rticle_id=39718

According to Dyer, Soehn turned us down and we never offered anything to Onalfo.

So I guess I'm ok with this hire. One part because it's not a retread like Onalfo or Soehn. Also as a guy who works in the league office, he has a good understanding of the league and that's something we want in our hire. A guy who works for the league should have all the intricate knowledge of the league rules and now all the quirks of building a roster in MLS. He had the position in the league office that TFC's new GM previously had. That guy did a good job of building a team, apart from the DP's and all the money spent up there. Does that mean anything about Curtis? No but it shows that hopefully we are getting a guy who can be smart about working with the salary cap and someone who can pull off the types of weird MLS Calvinball typle things that many other MLS teams are doing that we seem to never do. 

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

Link here - http://bigapplesocce...rticle_id=39718

According to Dyer, Soehn turned us down and we never offered anything to Onalfo.

So I guess I'm ok with this hire. One part because it's not a retread like Onalfo or Soehn. Also as a guy who works in the league office, he has a good understanding of the league and that's something we want in our hire. A guy who works for the league should have all the intricate knowledge of the league rules and now all the quirks of building a roster in MLS. He had the position in the league office that TFC's new GM previously had. That guy did a good job of building a team, apart from the DP's and all the money spent up there. Does that mean anything about Curtis? No but it shows that hopefully we are getting a guy who can be smart about working with the salary cap and someone who can pull off the types of weird MLS Calvinball typle things that many other MLS teams are doing that we seem to never do. 

Pretty much took everything I was going to say. 

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

Elder Statesman

Elder Statesman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Metros
Interesting article. One year deal? No wonder others turned it down. Is it worth moving your family for a one year deal? Ali Curtis works for league office in NYC so he doesn't have to move.

pooperscooper

pooperscooper

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA, Arsenal

Out of all of the potential directions mentioned so far, I like this move the most. I will say I am surprised there was not more rumbling about Campos taking the position.

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

There are things to love, things to hate in each off-season. I'm not wasting time hating on this move, he seems solid enough at first glance. 

1. At least it isn't MdG making actual moves.

2. He's American, knows MLS, has relationships around the league.

3. They got him in early enough to be useful in the free agency window/MLS draft, which is a plus for 2015.

If he is the best they could find, so be it, let's all get to fucking work. Lotta moves yet to make before March. Backline to create, USL team to figure out, attackers & home-growns to sign...get to work, son. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

What's to like exactly? I know nothing about him. 

Toronto FC hired Tim Bezbatchenko last offseason. His prior role is Ali Curtis' current role (one which they shared at one point). He knew all the loopholes in MLS so that Toronto FC looked amazing (on paper) going into the season. DeRo, Bradley, Defoe, Gilberto, and Julio Cesar all somehow fit under the salary cap.

I'll take someone with that kind of insight over anyone else.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

nlk10010

nlk10010

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Toronto FC hired Tim Bezbatchenko last offseason. His prior role is Ali Curtis' current role (one which they shared at one point). He knew all the loopholes in MLS so that Toronto FC looked amazing (on paper) going into the season. DeRo, Bradley, Defoe, Gilberto, and Julio Cesar all somehow fit under the salary cap.

I'll take someone with that kind of insight over anyone else.

Fair, but it would be useless if RB is not looking for loopholes through which to jam a DP or two. Trying to create success by mimicking someone else's successful move fails more often than not (because you can't mimic everything).

Right now, Curtis' best characteristic is that he hasn't failed yet (with us or, apparently, with anyone else). That should keep the wolves at bay for a season.

We'll need to wait and see:  I don't think he was hired because someone knowledgeable saw something in him. But, in spite of that, we might luck out.

"The company loves its money.

If they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money."

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
Happy its not Ricardo 'backloaded contract' campos

#RedBullOut

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

could be better, could be worse

A guy who has a good relationship with Garber and the league helps us in the short term. A guy who knows the bizarre cap situation workarounds is great. Bez was good in Toronto, it's just Toronto that is terrible. A capologist will only help us.

Red Bull is dumb and de Grandpre is a mealy mouthed liar. Five year plan. Bullshit. One year contracts and a five year plan.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

could be better, could be worse

A guy who has a good relationship with Garber and the league helps us in the short term. A guy who knows the bizarre cap situation workarounds is great. Bez was good in Toronto, it's just Toronto that is terrible. A capologist will only help us.

Red Bull is dumb and de Grandpre is a mealy mouthed liar. Five year plan. Bullshit. One year contracts and a five year plan.

harping on that five year plan bit seems frivolous given how, with his role being what it is, it likely had more to do with off field matters and strategy than on, thats if its even a confirmed concept to begin with.

I mean, really he's a mealy mouthed liar? for a concept he's never been quoted on? that might not even apply to the subject at hand? for appointing a Sporting Directer on a one year deal when we have no actual clue if he is actually on a one year deal?

the guy screwed up before but I think your reaching just a bit for a chance to call him out now.

(,,,,,,,,,)    

\--|-- /   
/ |oo|   \  
#aslongaswerebreathing

2013 supporters shield champions.

kubrick74

kubrick74

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  • Supports:Metro FC / US Nats

one year deal = temporary caretaker before RB sells. Just like Chivas.

Metro Red

Metro Red

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Liverpool
He was my preferred candidate out of the names floated, let's see what he can do if this happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users