Some people do not understand that California has twice the population of Florida

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Don't care since I don't plan on attending either way but just surprised that NJ isn't requiring negative tests since Murphy and Cuomo have been on the same page about a lot of this stuff.

Not requiring the pricey tests is probably a relief for Red Bull. I doubt anybody is going to pay Nets-style testing prices to watch Barlow and Clark as the marquee players.

In Florida I don't think they have the tests and it doesn't appear to be an issue there. They have been having games this entire time and are recording fewer covid positives than pro-lockdown states like New York.

Even in NYC, not sure if you have been out lately but restaurants/breweries are clearly ignoring the 25% capacity limit since they have been so decimated by the lockdowns and are trying to recoup their losses. I've seen places myself over the last week stuffed with what had to be at least 75% indoor dining/taproom capacity. I think the owners realize the liquor authority or health inspectors aren't going to stop by in 30-degree snowy weather for an impromptu check and are just seating everyone that comes though the door.

The state already has too many issues to take care of. And despite all this going on, the positive cases are declining in NY too.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Knicks and Rangers aren't requiring the $200 testing like the Nets, just a negative test from wherever. It's always possible that NY decides to drop it soon too.

Florida, Texas, Indiana, Arizona aren't requiring tests and some of those have been running events for months.

Personally for me I just don't have any interest in paying money to wear a mask(I'm not anti-mask, I'll wear it to the store, doctor, etc) and experience a lackluster atmosphere. I'd rather save the money and hassle and watch from home for now.

As a season ticket holder for the Red Bulls and Devils ill be staying home until we actually get back to a real normal. I'd consider changing my mind for a big playoff game but I'm really not concerned about that happening for either team as well lol

Yeah that totally makes sense. I guess people are paying up for the novelty of seeing sports in person again, although it's only been a year without events. Feels much longer than that though.

I'm not sure though how much longer these mask 'rules' will stay in place. I mean if Barclays is asking people for two negative tests (including one done on-site) and is still putting up plexiglass around the individual seating areas... what is it gonna take? I know none of the tests are foolproof but then why even make fans go through all that effort if the experience is going to be the same as walking into any non-restaurant business over the past year?

I guess though at some point this year the mask/distancing stuff will be completely dropped or heavily phased out. It seems like the number of people who are pro-staying home and are calling everyone who does anything outside "selfish" has significantly dropped this winter compared to what it was last spring and summer. It's also getting much harder to ignore that states like California, which has the strictest lockdowns in the country, is doing much worse in terms of positives/deaths than states like Florida that have been fully open this entire time. Not sure how much longer Cuomo for example can sell a lockdown when his popularity is taking a hit and other states are getting by just fine with less red tape.

Right Back

Right Back

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:RedBullOut
  • Supports:Metro, RedBullOut

It's also getting much harder to ignore that states like California, which has the strictest lockdowns in the country, is doing much worse in terms of positives/deaths than states like Florida that have been fully open this entire time. Not sure how much longer Cuomo for example can sell a lockdown when his popularity is taking a hit and other states are getting by just fine with less red tape.

Where are you getting that information? Data from the CDC would indicate that Florida is on the whole doing comparable or worse than California. Slightly fewer infections per 100k (which could be thrown off by generally requiring less testing, especially for people who are asymptomatic), and slightly more deaths per 100k. Also give me a break that any states are 'doing just fine'. The country is about to hit over 500,000 dead. 

#RedBullOut

Rats get fat, good men die.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Where are you getting that information? Data from the CDC would indicate that Florida is on the whole doing comparable or worse than California. Slightly fewer infections per 100k (which could be thrown off by generally requiring less testing, especially for people who are asymptomatic), and slightly more deaths per 100k. Also give me a break that any states are 'doing just fine'. The country is about to hit over 500,000 dead. 

California has 3.53 million cases compared to Florida's 1.87 million.

California has about 50,000 deaths compared to Florida's 30,000.

And by just fine I mean in terms of getting though the current situation with varying levels of being reopen. Not everything has to be completely closed is my point with that.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

California has 3.53 million cases compared to Florida's 1.87 million.

California has about 50,000 deaths compared to Florida's 30,000.

And by just fine I mean in terms of getting though the current situation with varying levels of being reopen. Not everything has to be completely closed is my point with that.

Florida is about half the population of California.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Florida is about half the population of California.

Yes, and even when you factor that in the numbers are still pretty much the same. It doesn't make California's response any better and the perception is that it should be because of the restrictions.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Not everything has to be completely closed is my point with that.

Almost nothing has been completely closed anywhere. That's why half a million people have died in the US.

The messaging is different depending on who's in charge, but the practical decisions made by Newsom v. DeSantis haven't been all that different.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
You know what would have been a better strategy than all the restrictions?

1. Listening to the scientists who for years said this was coming and that we were not prepared. Maybe now people will listen to the scientists about climate change. What the fuck am I saying? No they wont.
2. Shutting down travel from ALL countries immediately to buy us more time.
3. Using the defense production act on steroids to get us all the supplies we needed for masking up and testing.
4. Rolling out a uniformed message that everyone mask up.
5. Rolling out a stellar national testing and tracing plan.

All that would have been great. We got no fucking leadership and everyone was left pantless looking around like a bunch of fucking buffoons. Some good decisions were made and some bad. More people could have died. Less people could have died. More of the economy could have thrived. More of it could have been crushed. More of it will be. Fed just keeps fist pumping fiat like a jersey nightclub. Hold on to your shorts friends. Its gonna be a bumpy next few years.

We landed in the middle. Its not great but its about right for how well we were prepared and how well the federal government lead us (or didnt lead us) through this.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

Not requiring the pricey tests is probably a relief for Red Bull. I doubt anybody is going to pay Nets-style testing prices to watch Barlow and Clark as the marquee players.

In Florida I don't think they have the tests and it doesn't appear to be an issue there. They have been having games this entire time and are recording fewer covid positives than pro-lockdown states like New York.

Even in NYC, not sure if you have been out lately but restaurants/breweries are clearly ignoring the 25% capacity limit since they have been so decimated by the lockdowns and are trying to recoup their losses. I've seen places myself over the last week stuffed with what had to be at least 75% indoor dining/taproom capacity. I think the owners realize the liquor authority or health inspectors aren't going to stop by in 30-degree snowy weather for an impromptu check and are just seating everyone that comes though the door.

The state already has too many issues to take care of. And despite all this going on, the positive cases are declining in NY too.

Florida is still a mess. I live here and work in one of the bigger Emergency Rooms in the State. It's a problem here it's just that Floridians truly don't give a shit about other people. They don't want to wear masks or quarantine and the weather is always nice so everyone is out like there's no pandemic happening.

The state Gov doesn't care at all. They stopped having daily and weekly phone meetings with heads of hospitals months ago.

It's up to every county. The boonies have no rules what so ever neither does the state. Every hospital has to figure shit out on their own without any help from the state, luckily the hospital I work at is part of a very large worldwide enterprise and we still have supplies.

But we literally have no where to put patients. We are inundated with patients

If Florida had the size of California's population I can easily see the number of cases triple
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Floridians truly don't give a shit about other people.

Is there some altruism index ranking states?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Floridians truly don't give a shit about other people

I know Floridians of different races, ages, political affiliation, religion, etc. They are all good people that absolutely do give a shit about other people. Some of them have devoted their lives to other people.

Ill paraphrase something I heard Jared Kushner say which is: politics is tribal and the Republican Party just fell victim to a hostile takeover.

Every political party has a large tribal following. Democrats republicans independents it doesnt matter. It seems to me that people often vote for things, vote for people, say things and believe in things only because they are completely loyal to their party.

When a political party tells its voters things that are not true and when people only get their news from one source and or surround themselves with only like minded people then the country as a whole suffers.

The people of Florida are no more heartless than the people of any other state.

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars

Both Grelladinho and the thread split title are missing the point. It isn't that Florida has fewer cases than California... it's that both have a very similar number of cases per capita, which indicates that the lockdowns and regulations in California maybe aren't as effective (or as necessary) as people think.

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Both Grelladinho and the thread split title are missing the point. It isn't that Florida has fewer cases than California... it's that both have a very similar number of cases per capita, which indicates that the lockdowns and regulations in California maybe aren't as effective (or as necessary) as people think.

IMO the point is that no matter if youre California or Florida or wherever this is a fucked up situation that could have been handled much better. I dont see the value in assigning blame or praise to any single entity.

Anyway, my understanding is that most of the spread is attributed to multi family dwellings and impoverished communities. Feel free to correct me. The information is constantly changing. And therein lies the problem with a novel (new) virus. Thats information that would have been helpful when this all started, but we dont have a time machine. We have the information we have at the time we have it.

I believe its practical to overreact at the onset of a new virus, but governments also need to be able to react quickly to updated information.

Which takes me back to my original point that federal leadership was completely lacking never mind being adaptable.

Researchers: Fed, heres new data and suggested courses of action. Things may change again soon. Be prepared to adjust.

Fed: States, heres new data and suggested courses of action. Things may change again soon. Be prepared to adjust.

States: local officials, heres new data and suggested courses of action. Things may change again soon. Be prepared to adjust.

Etc.

There was a disconnect from research to the individual citizen.

And again Id highlight the general unpreparedness. We should have had more emergency medical on hand (hopefully now we will). We should have had a playbook designed (hopefully now we do). We also should have made sure (over the course of decades mind you and hopefully moving forward) that the means for production for this kind of unplanned disaster is better located within our own country. Etc.

Piss poor planning. Piss poor leadership.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

We should have had a playbook designed (hopefully now we do). 

Piss poor planning. Piss poor leadership.

There was already a playbook in place. Unfortunately, the previous administration decided to disregard it. 

https://www.pbs.org/...ficials-confirm

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

There was already playbook in place. Unfortunately, the previous administration decided to disregard it. 

https://www.pbs.org/...ficials-confirm

Guess it needs a clause to address sociopathic leadership...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users