49 replies to this topic

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
HARRISON, N.J. (November 28, 2016) - The New York Red Bulls announced today that the club will pick up contract options on midfielder Sean Davis and defenders Chris Duvall and Justin Bilyeu. The club will not pick up options for defenders Karl Ouimette and Ronald Zubar.

Additionally, 2016 MLS Golden Boot Winner Bradley Wright-Phillips had his option exercised.

"We want to thank Karl for his service to the club over the last two years," said Sporting Director Ali Curtis. "Despite not picking up Ronald's option, the club is in discussions to bring him back for next season."

Wright-Phillips won his second MLS Golden Boot in three seasons with 24 goals in the 2016 regular season. BWP set a slew of franchise records in 2016, including career goals (69), game-winning goals (20), multi-goal games (16) and hat tricks (4).

Davis, a second year Homegrown Player out of Duke University, made 21 MLS appearances and recorded two goals and three assists, highlighted by a goal and two assists in a 3-1 win over the Montreal Impact in August. Davis also earned regular minutes in the U.S. Open Cup and Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions league last season.

Duvall, a second-round pick from the 2014 MLS SuperDraft, set new career highs in appearances (25), starts (20), and assists (2) in his third season with New York.

Bilyeu, the Red Bulls' first-round pick from 2016, made three MLS appearances as a rookie, including one start, and also saw time in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions league play.

New York finished the 2016 regular season with a 16-9-9 record, the best in the Eastern Conference for the third time in four years. The Red Bulls open 2017 with the club's first appearance in the Quarterfinals of the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League, with a home-and-home series against the Vancouver Whitecaps, beginning with a match at Red Bull Arena on Tuesday, February 22.

Couple updates here.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Apparently they're in talks with Zubar about a new contract, which I assume would include a massive pay cut. I think its time to let him go no matter what the price, what good is a player who can't stay healthy for long enough to contribute meaningfully if called upon?

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Where is it mentioned that they are talking with Zubar about a new contract?  I fully didn't expect him back and haven't read that.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
No surprise that Zubar is possibly renegotiating, similar to what DP did.

Ouimette we all saw coming.

Happy about Bilyeu and Duvall, although we also picked up McLaws last year.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Where is it mentioned that they are talking with Zubar about a new contract?  I fully didn't expect him back and haven't read that.

Eric Giacometti has it on his twitter feed as a quote from Ali

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
It's also in the article. Third paragraph.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
Zizzo lives another day...

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT
Zubar's contract should be structured around how often he's injured. He needs an incentive to stay healthy.

I always like Ouimette's hustle, but at times he didn't seem good enough. I bet he lands in the NASL.. assuming they don't fold first.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

Zubar's contract should be structured around how often he's injured. He needs an incentive to stay healthy.

I always like Ouimette's hustle, but at times he didn't seem good enough. I bet he lands in the NASL.. assuming they don't fold first.

Incentive to stay healthy? Like taking it easy and not playing 100%? Sounds like a great idea if he's a superstar, otherwise laughable.

I wouldn't mind keeping him around for another year at <50% of his current salary. He's a solid backup for MLS and injuries on this team seem to be widespread not just Zubar.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Tymatt

Tymatt

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls/MetroStars
Sure Zubar is fantastic in the air but with the age showing due to injuries over the past two seasons, I think it's time to somebody healthier/better at this position to go along with Collin. We should buy a defender from Belgium this year to replace him considering Ciman and Van Damme's fantastic play in the back over these past few seasons for other clubs. Wouldn't also oppose a ridgewell type of CB from the prem/championship. Just some options to think about.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

We need to get younger at this position, I really hope they just move on from Zubar. Baah is the only starting quality CB we have under 30 and he couldn't stay on the field for any longer than Zubar this past season.

Tymatt

Tymatt

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls/MetroStars
Baah had that promising game against Toronto (back during the season opener) handling Seba, but other than than that he's still unproven due to the injuries/questionable play. I would love to get younger though whether that's giving Aaron Long a go with the first team or giving a hgp/draft pick a shot but I think a high quality healthy veteran(27-31 years old) whether that's from abroad or if he's within our league like Collin was would be the best option right now.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Sure Zubar is fantastic in the air but with the age showing due to injuries over the past two seasons, I think it's time to somebody healthier/better at this position to go along with Collin. We should buy a defender from Belgium this year to replace him considering Ciman and Van Damme's fantastic play in the back over these past few seasons for other clubs. Wouldn't also oppose a ridgewell type of CB from the prem/championship. Just some options to think about.

Zubar just turned 31 and is 5 months older than Collin who was a rock this season. 31 isn't old for a CB, he just looks injury prone or has been massively unlucky. I'd also question "fantastic in the air" - physically he totally looks the part, but I remember a number of headers where he misjudged the ball and looked like a falling skier trying to adjust his body mid-air to get to the ball.

I'd be happy to have him instead of Perrinelle at the ~150k DP  (now 33 and getting slower by the day) is on but Zubar shouldn't be getting any more than that.

Hopefully Baah recovers completely and fulfills the early pre-injury promise.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Baah had that promising game against Toronto (back during the season opener) handling Seba, but other than than that he's still unproven due to the injuries/questionable play. I would love to get younger though whether that's giving Aaron Long a go with the first team or giving a hgp/draft pick a shot but I think a high quality healthy veteran(27-31 years old) whether that's from abroad or if he's within our league like Collin was would be the best option right now.

baah had a pretty freak injury - i.e. it wasn't a muscle or ligament damage which might be recurring.  bone fractures supposedly hold up better and are not necessarily recurring or signs of being injury prone.  i think he will rebound with a strong season next year - he is young and quick, a good pairing with collin's strength/experience

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i'm not surprised that they're trying to keep Zubar at a cheaper cap hit. give him 50% of his current or less (100k). if he plays 20-25 games, i'm ok with that. we need another CB in addition to drafting one in Jan. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users