85 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I bet we trade Felipe this off-season and let Adams slot into that CDM position, and let Murillo play the wingback position. 

More likely it's Sacha with Davis or Adams moving to his spot. It would be for the same reasons we traded Dax and not Felipe this season, age and money. Plus, has Marsch ever been a head coach without Felipe on his roster?

Adams could certainly play Felipe's role in our current formation, but it would be a waste. Felipe's back there by himself, so he has to stay home more than you'd want Tyler to. In the ole 4-2-3-1, one of the two deep lying CMs spots is a great place for Tyler, assuming the other stays put to shield the backline.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

More likely it's Sacha with Davis or Adams moving to his spot. It would be for the same reasons we traded Dax and not Felipe this season, age and money. Plus, has Marsch ever been a head coach without Felipe on his roster?

Adams could certainly play Felipe's role in our current formation, but it would be a waste. Felipe's back there by himself, so he has to stay home more than you'd want Tyler to. In the ole 4-2-3-1, one of the two deep lying CMs spots is a great place for Tyler, assuming the other stays put to shield the backline.

Too early to plan for next year, but similar to what happened to Dax in the middle of his career, you look Sean Davis in the eye and tell him to work on being tactically sound defensively and see if he can play back there.  His range of passing from the deep lying spot would be extremely helpful and he is a good athlete.  He is effective in press from high up field so maybe he can learn to do that from deeper.  Then this team could potentially go up another gear imo

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Just don't think Davis has the passing to play back there in this current formation.  He has everything else, but lacks in passing accuracy and vision. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Just don't think Davis has the passing to play back there in this current formation.  He has everything else, but lacks in passing accuracy and vision. 

??? He's been great transitioning the play into the attack.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

??? He's been great transitioning the play into the attack.

I'd like to see the numbers because obviously I could be wrong but he's not a natural passer of the ball. He's strong on the ball, physical, has a very good shot, and good effort.  Smart effort too, where Muyl doesn't approach things with much thought.  What I've always found him to not be great with is passing the ball.

You put him in Felipe's spot and I think he'll suffer.  Not too different than how he suffered early this year.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I'd like to see the numbers because obviously I could be wrong but he's not a natural passer of the ball. He's strong on the ball, physical, has a very good shot, and good effort.  Smart effort too, where Muyl doesn't approach things with much thought.  What I've always found him to not be great with is passing the ball.

You put him in Felipe's spot and I think he'll suffer.  Not too different than how he suffered early this year.

Only stat I can give you because I don't have passing zone numbers, but it is telling that Sean among "actual contributors" on the team has the highest pass completion percentage on the team by 2.4% (second is Felipe) even though he plays in a more advanced role than Felipe, which generally leads to lower pass % numbers for midfielders.  link

Issue with Sean and Felipe earlier in the season, was due to 1) disconnect over who should player Dmid and who should be box-to-box, 2) distribution of our athletes when pressing in 4-2-3-1 3) lack of chemistry.  If you put Adams next to Davis there now in that formation I think they would kill it personally but that's just me personally.  Though part of me likes Davis as tucked in winger since it lets Tyler or Murrilo get involved more in attack.

(probably need to move this to a Sean Davis thread lol)

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Right now, I agree he's not a good ball winner to play Felipe's role.  But, if he focused an off-season on it, I think he could do it.  He doesn't have to though, because Felipe is going nowhere.  I just think he could.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

It comes down to what kind of distributor Davis is. He's very good in tight spaces, very safe on the ball, but he's not that pivot point that can spray the ball around. And stuck in a deep position that's really what he'd be asked to do. Guys like Dax, Felipe, and even Adams are much more adept at hitting those long diagonal balls or dropping balls over the defense for BWP to run on to. That's just not Davis's game, at least not right now.

He's perfectly suited for where he is, why are we even talking about moving him deep? 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

It comes down to what kind of distributor Davis is. He's very good in tight spaces, very safe on the ball, but he's not that pivot point that can spray the ball around. And stuck in a deep position that's really what he'd be asked to do. Guys like Dax, Felipe, and even Adams are much more adept at hitting those long diagonal balls or dropping balls over the defense for BWP to run on to. That's just not Davis's game, at least not right now.

He's perfectly suited for where he is, why are we even talking about moving him deep? 

He's remarkable, really, making passes in crowded spaces, moving the ball on the ground or elevating it.   That's a skill that is valuable in Sacha's spot, and he's certainly more athletic and less afraid to shoot than Sacha is.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,451 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Loan -> Permanent, officially now.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch