Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

The real answer to this thread is to resign Peguy Luyindula asap

Sounds good to me

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Too busy being a French media mogul.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

thoward18

thoward18

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Led the league in assists for the second-straight year. Just posting this now in advance for when we get knocked out of the playoffs due to shitty defending and lack of wing creativity but he gets blamed.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts

Led the league in assists for the second-straight year. Just posting this now in advance for when we get knocked out of the playoffs due to shitty defending and lack of wing creativity but he gets blamed.

Guy is a good passer, that will never go away.  But I do not think he should be brought back next year.  The only reason he's been tolerable this year is because we are using a gimmick formation that protects him big time.

His mobility is gone though.  He's basically Pirlo but better in the air.  The obvious points are when we press and he's closing down his guy, a CB is simply able to take two touches on the ball and be behind Sacha with minimal effort.  He no longer fits this system or style of play.  

Last two years, great stuff. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,065 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia
Sean Akira Davis

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts
  • Interests:Football and Football, heading to the beach and the lake. Spending time with fam at parties and reading existentialism philosophy oh yeah cant forget anime. Oh yea and MiLo is pronounced Mee-Low, its short for Camilo.
Sacha should brought back next year...

Aside from Royer and Felipe .. The only guy that not only gives you a sense he's going to be able to create something.

Aside from Sacha there is not creativity on the side.. Just a bunch of running around and hoping NY get to the ball first.. There's no vision or sense of changing the tempo of the possession to suit the needs of the team either when they're up or behind...

Hoping Adams might be that one day but he's still a rookie
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
His assist number this year may be even more impressive because less came from set pieces.

The problem with Sachs right now is he can only play in one spot. It really limits Marsch's options to switch up formations/play with two strikers. He just doesn't have the legs anymore to play wider or deeper than his current role.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts
  • Interests:Football and Football, heading to the beach and the lake. Spending time with fam at parties and reading existentialism philosophy oh yeah cant forget anime. Oh yea and MiLo is pronounced Mee-Low, its short for Camilo.
He doesn't need to play deeper or wider..

The team without him lacks someone that can set up a goal.. Everyone else just lobs in passes aimlessly.. Hoping for the best.. This is a ludicrous conversation..

It's on the other people not Sacha or Marcsh be provide another option out wide or deeper.. If the other guys don't step it up and can't hold possession and or send a spot on thru ball or spot on cross, thats not Sascha's fault..

It's makes no sense to say he doesn't fit the style or because of him they have to have a certain formation.. Because without him what's the point of having a formation or style that lack any scoring chances.. New York scored two goals yesterday off of mistakes from the opponent.. Not because someone created a good chance and beat the opponent with a great pass or dribble..

Marsch has done the right thing he adapted and became flexible and found a way to get as many of his best players in their best roles on the pitch at the same time playing in unison..

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Interests:Candy Crush
  • Supports:Los Red Bull de Nueva York

US nats agreed that Sacha is too immobile and old, and doesn't defend. So they put CP in the center and sent Sacha home.

Also look at Argentina w/o Riquelme. Or Italy w/o Pirlo. Or the Dutch w/o Sneijder.

An old guy in the 10 position is helpful, at least until he trips over his beard.

FC Metropolis 7 Gotham City FC 0

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
First 2/3 of the season, Sacha looked like Pirlo. Last part of the season I felt like he had a better understanding on where he could provide help. I think the wingbacks really helped with this. Having Adams and Taxi push Royer and Davis inside a bit, forced Sacha to stay in his lane and be where he is most impactful.

If we keep the same formation next year, bring Sacha back. If not, consider moving him.

Not sure moving your team captain two years in a row is a smart move.
2013 & 2015 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos

Not sure moving your team captain two years in a row is a smart move.

How much dust will really be kicked up if Sacha moves on?

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

He doesn't need to play deeper or wider..

The team without him lacks someone that can set up a goal.. Everyone else just lobs in passes aimlessly.. Hoping for the best.. This is a ludicrous conversation..

It's on the other people not Sacha or Marcsh be provide another option out wide or deeper.. If the other guys don't step it up and can't hold possession and or send a spot on thru ball or spot on cross, thats not Sascha's fault..

It's makes no sense to say he doesn't fit the style or because of him they have to have a certain formation.. Because without him what's the point of having a formation or style that lack any scoring chances.. New York scored two goals yesterday off of mistakes from the opponent.. Not because someone created a good chance and beat the opponent with a great pass or dribble..

Marsch has done the right thing he adapted and became flexible and found a way to get as many of his best players in their best roles on the pitch at the same time playing in unison..

No one is saying he needs to play deeper or wider, I'm saying he can't (he can play deep if he stays there and doesn't go box-to-box). And, his inability to do so definitely limits what Marsch can do.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Honestly I would rather part with him in 2019.  We can all say we would move on, but what is the point until you know the kind of replacement they would bring in.  Maybe after settling for a bit Keita can be that guy or a young guy can take the next step forward.  But I don't think that can be accurately answered before the preseason at the earliest. 

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

US nats agreed that Sacha is too immobile and old, and doesn't defend. So they put CP in the center and sent Sacha home.

Also look at Argentina w/o Riquelme. Or Italy w/o Pirlo. Or the Dutch w/o Sneijder.

An old guy in the 10 position is helpful, at least until he trips over his beard.

How did that work out for the US..
Italy had to do some tweaking and Netherlands is out of the World Cup... And Argentina have Messi and even then needed someone to help create chances...

Teams don't have to play with a number ten but there does need to be players that can create a scoring option and also control tempo of the match and maintain possession and to have vision and then be able to send in well timed abd weighted passes..

Other than Sacha most on NYRB cant do that..

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Honestly I would rather part with him in 2019.  We can all say we would move on, but what is the point until you know the kind of replacement they would bring in.  Maybe after settling for a bit Keita can be that guy or a young guy can take the next step forward.  But I don't think that can be accurately answered before the preseason at the earliest. 

His replacement is probably already on the roster in Keita or Davis. Neither can see the field or pick a pass out as well as Sacha yet, but they're both significantly younger and would better fit the system we're supposed to be playing (the press is the best playmaker).

That said, I'm not against keeping him for another year. He probably whines a little too much on the pitch, but he's led the league in assists the last two years and he leaves it all out there.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users