84 replies to this topic

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,452 posts
  • Supports:Metro

"Selling" would imply the tradeoff received was real money and the transfer value would be comparable to free-market transfers anywhere else in the world of soccer. We exchanged him for MLS-use-only salary vouchers, so I think "traded" is appropriate, both in this case and in all MLS-to-MLS moves.

To illustrate my point, Dax's transfermarkt profile lists his market value at the time of sale as 1.6M pounds while we obviously got only 400k in AM. Obvious caveat that transfermarkt is far from perfect.

Sal Zizzo, market value 600K euros FTW.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Grella scoring game-winner for Cosmos to end our 2018 Open Cup run is so obviously going to happen Im surprised its not already updated on our season schedule.

You are assuming the Cosmos actually play in 2018 which at this point is far from a sure thing.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

Dyer wrote an article that we may try to be bringing Grella back.  I don't mind Grella as a change-up but fear that Marsch may not be able to help himself in using him too much.

That said, Grella is going to find an MLS job. There are only so many international spots which means you have to have Americans on your team.  Especially now with there being more and more MLS rosters.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,452 posts

Why not use Grella as a sport starter / goals-needed sub? Especially with Veron's status not clear...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYJ

Sal Zizzo, market value 600K euros FTW.

Id settle for 575k

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Why not use Grella as a sport starter / goals-needed sub? Especially with Veron's status not clear...

I like him as a sub for BWP/second forward. Mike can definitely play up top, not sure about on the wing anymore.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,791 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

blocking opportunity for a young guy? 

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

Agree.  No problem with it.  Actually think Grella would be pretty good in that formation we played most of last year too.  

And as far as young guys, there are only so many of them.  We do have to fill out a roster.  And the team does do a good job of giving young guys opportunities.  They may not like some of them, but that's part of being a coaching staff.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

I'd like to keep Grella around and hopefully they can come to terms. He brings something different from all the other players we have. 

Looking at our squad though, with Royer, BWP, Sacha, Keita, and maybe both Veron and Grella coming back not much room on our roster to upgrade the attack. Only so many people can get on the field at a time. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

I'd like to keep Grella around and hopefully they can come to terms. He brings something different from all the other players we have. 

Looking at our squad though, with Royer, BWP, Sacha, Keita, and maybe both Veron and Grella coming back not much room on our roster to upgrade the attack. Only so many people can get on the field at a time. 

Exactly..  And if we have 1 International spot, we are limited there as well.  First call has to be made towards formation.  I would probably go with a 4 man back line because we are obviously keeping Collin and a 3 man back line doesn't suit him.  But in a 4 man back line he's a beast.

If we are going with a 4 man back line then Sacha has to go.  Or Sacha has to drop back as one of the 6's.  Sacha can cover some ground, but he just doesn't do it quickly.  Maybe that could work as a 6.  

We have to add a defender and an attacker.  And the attacker has to be a SERIOUS player.  The half-additions like Keita just aren't enough.  There has to be a no-doubter addition.  A player where there isn't a huge question if he's good.  The question is just how good. 

I don't even know what we could offer, but I'd try hard for David Accam.  He has his green card and is a really good player.  Recently turned 27.  Had some semi-public issues with the coach in Chicago.  Rightfully had a problem with being treated the way he was.

Trade Sacha to New LA for a boatload of Allocation money and move that for Accam.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Grella is 30 and has basically been injured the last season and a half.  A backup forward role is ok, but even that would mean basically pushing Etienne out of the 18.

All things equal (playing time, position, formation, squad), do people think Etienne or Grella would be more productive in 2018?

And, is there no concern about Mike's health?

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

Grella is 30 and has basically been injured the last season and a half.  A backup forward role is ok, but even that would mean basically pushing Etienne out of the 18.

All things equal (playing time, position, formation, squad), do people think Etienne or Grella would be more productive in 2018?

And, is there no concern about Mike's health?

After he had the surgery I'm not terribly concerned.  Especially because they say he was starting to move and do all of those things at the end of last season.

Etienne will get his minutes if he deserves it.  If guys like Muyl did well enough and started to get minutes over Grella, then Etienne will too.   And the fact that they want to bring back Grella at less money suggests that they don't view him in the same (starting) light which is good.

And as for Etienne, this is the year he has to take a leap forward.  He has to keep imposing his will as well because a lot of times it looks like he's OK just being a passenger out there. I think that's the biggest thing that helped Veron.  He started imposing his will on the game and things took off for him.  And I am hopeful we bring back Veron.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

After he had the surgery I'm not terribly concerned.  Especially because they say he was starting to move and do all of those things at the end of last season.

Etienne will get his minutes if he deserves it.  If guys like Muyl did well enough and started to get minutes over Grella, then Etienne will too.   And the fact that they want to bring back Grella at less money suggests that they don't view him in the same (starting) light which is good.

And as for Etienne, this is the year he has to take a leap forward.  He has to keep imposing his will as well because a lot of times it looks like he's OK just being a passenger out there. I think that's the biggest thing that helped Veron.  He started imposing his will on the game and things took off for him.  And I am hopeful we bring back Veron.

You don't need TWO bench guys at the Etienne/Grella level.  You need one guy in that role and then a DP/TAM starting quality player.  Why Veron has to go too.  Unless the cut in salary is severe, he'll still probably make too much to play the role he played this season and I can't see Marsch moving off that.

Also, you didn't answer the question.  ALL THINGS EQUAL, he would you think would be more productive in 2018, Etienne or Grella?  We don't need both.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

You don't need TWO bench guys at the Etienne/Grella level.  You need one guy in that role and then a DP/TAM starting quality player.  Why Veron has to go too.  Unless the cut in salary is severe, he'll still probably make too much to play the role he played this season and I can't see Marsch moving off that.

Also, you didn't answer the question.  ALL THINGS EQUAL, he would you think would be more productive in 2018, Etienne or Grella?  We don't need both.

I think Veron is going to be brought back over 300k and that is fine.  Forwards always get more money.

With Grella/Etienne, we still have the CCL and Open Cup this year.  A lot of what we should do depends on whether Sacha is back.  If Sacha is moved, then Grella makes a lot of sense.  We need depth and Grella has proven to be a decent MLS level player.  Another factor is the formation because I do think Grella would be good in that 3-3-3-1. 

Deciding between a healthy Grella and Etienne is tough.  I'm gonna predict Etienne comes into next season as a better player than he has been so I'll go him as far as production.  Etienne has flaws to his game though.. Especially for MLS.  His fight level is meh... He's gotten better with it, but it's hard to make things work in this league without the necessary fight level.  Even Diego Valeri is gritty.  And as fast as Etienne is, he doesn't play fast.  He takes his time too often and it hurts the team.  Wouldn't be shocked at all if Grella is more productive although I'll say that Etienne somewhat puts it together this season.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,791 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I think Veron is going to be brought back over 300k and that is fine.  Forwards always get more money....

I'm fine keeping him around, but 15 minute super subs generally don't make that kind of money in MLS.    If he were to be BWP's heir apparent, maybe, but he's only a few months younger ( I thought he was several years younger until I just checked).

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users