71 replies to this topic

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,446 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Left-footed RW who can play central attacking role too? thats cool.

I don't think this dude would need to be a DP

If the transfer fee is 1.5M, they really don't have a choice, unless they blow their entire TAM load on him.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts

Thank god for something.  These are the types of signings to make so I am happy about showing a willingness to do it.  We clearly aren't going to spend as much as Toronto and Atlanta right now with the way that ownership wants the team run but as long as we spend a little bit then I think we can make things happen.

Not a ton of vids on him but good to see someone who is confident on the ball. We need a bit more of that.  Plays with good effort level, has solid athleticism but not great speed.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

If the transfer fee is 1.5M, they really don't have a choice, unless they blow their entire TAM load on him.

Duh I wasn't thinking about the fee - but he would be considered a young DP still then at 22 right? Which means there's no fee for the DP slot only we'd still be full of DPs unless we paid down Sacha? 

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,479 posts

I feel like this has been the quote on all of our acquisitions over the past few years. More often than not we've been pleasantly surprised. Let's sign him first and give him a chance before we write him off based on his current league. I think we have a decent track record after signing guys from these smaller leagues.

Just off the top of my head: BWP, Lloyd Sam, Luke Rodgers, Royer, murillo, Robles, kemar

LLoyd Sam came from Leeds, was considered a good player but injuries derailed his career.  BWP had premiership time.  They were much more known quantities.

Rodgers was a flash in the pan and then overstayed his visa, leaving us short changed at striker the following year, that signing was also back in 2013.  Taxi was in 2014

Let's go through these more obscure signings since we decided to stop spending money, shall we...

Gulbrandsen (Austrian League): changed formation, didn't score a goal, cut his loan spell short

Keita (Polish League): Couldn't find the pitch.  We're apparently signing this Romanian dude to play in his preferred spot

N'dam (Cameroon):  No idea, bought on potential not current contributions

Escobar (Panama): Unreliable, cost us multiple games this year

Murillo (Panama): Solid signing.  Most of us thought he could be pretty good here and that signing was very uncontroversial at the time

Damari (Austira, Germany): Red Bull castoff 1.0, head case and got a crippling red card in the playoff

Royer (Denmark):  The one true success story we've had.  Royer had a bit more of a pedigree though with Denmark and Austria Wien

Baah (Finland): Damaged goods, barely played

Zubar (Ligue 2): Nightmare, always hurt

Big money signing: Veron.  Completely turned his career around this year and proved to be a valuable asset to this team down the stretch.  Was lackluster until then.

#RedBullOut

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts

Have to really throw Taxi on that list as well.

The other thing is I don't really care about pedigree.  Ultimately the only thing that matters is how good they are.

Damari and Gulbrandsen I think are legit good players.  I think their failure had more to do with the constant effort to play 2 forwards (which has always failed since BWP has been here) and that coming here wasn't really either of their first choices.  You have to want to be here for things to really work. Even Baah looked good. Was one of the best players on the field a couple of those games.  That type of injury is all luck, especially when the player didn't really have injuries before.

My two issues as far as our signings are Escobar and Keita.  Escobar because he's a small CB who isn't exactly fast or athletic enough to make up for the lack of size. And he's not one of those shorter guys who makes up for it by still being good in the air either.  Keita because he almost plays out of control and doesn't combine very well with teammates.  Hoping both of their struggles have more to do with the fact that they were summer acquisitions and summer signings just never work for that first half-season.   

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Keita because he almost plays out of control and doesn't combine very well with teammates.  Hoping both of their struggles have more to do with the fact that they were summer acquisitions and summer signings just never work for that first half-season.   

Keita was having trouble with his hamstring, don't think we saw him anywhere close to full fitness. You don't think he played well as a distributor in the time he had as a #10 though? I think it was against Philly I thought he played really, really well there, and he linked up with Murillo on what I think was our nicest goal of the year towards the end of the season.

If a guy like that is first winger off the bench behind the likes of Royer and this Romanian dude, we're in a better spot at that position than we've been in since 2015.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts

Keita was having trouble with his hamstring, don't think we saw him anywhere close to full fitness. You don't think he played well as a distributor in the time he had as a #10 though? I think it was against Philly I thought he played really, really well there, and he linked up with Murillo on what I think was our nicest goal of the year towards the end of the season.

If a guy like that is first winger off the bench behind the likes of Royer and this Romanian dude, we're in a better spot at that position than we've been in since 2015.

Yep, I agree. 

And yeah, that game was very good, especially that combination with Murillo.  I'm hopeful with him, there were just so many other moments where it looked questionable.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,774 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I thought Keita was brought in to be Sacha insurance/heir-apparent, more so than as a wing.   Can't say I saw enough of him to judge how good he would be in any position.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I thought Keita was brought in to be Sacha insurance/heir-apparent, more so than as a wing.   Can't say I saw enough of him to judge how good he would be in any position.

The only thing I really remember hearing about him before he showed up was that he was a speedster, so I originally figured he was pegged for the wing. Marsch used him more in the middle which I figured came down more to needing to give Kljestan a break than anything. We'll see in a few months I guess.

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

The article says "Ionita’s contract runs through summer 2018, which is around the time when the Red Bulls usually conduct player transfers."

If we are submitting a transfer bid, though, that would mean we would be getting him immediately, because there would be no fee required to wait until summer. He could sign a pre-contract in January for free.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts

The article says "Ionita’s contract runs through summer 2018, which is around the time when the Red Bulls usually conduct player transfers."

If we are submitting a transfer bid, though, that would mean we would be getting him immediately, because there would be no fee required to wait until summer. He could sign a pre-contract in January for free.

Agree.  And if we're going to get someone, I really hope it's during the offseason.  It's just so hard for someone to come in, get acclimated, and make a difference if they are brought in during the summer.  Summer signings almost always turn out being better for next year.

thoward18

thoward18

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

I see we're going to learn absolutely nothing from the 500 summer signings that preceded them and evaluate Escobar/Keita based on how they adapted immediately after signing instead of with a full winter and preseason to train and acclimate.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, MUFC, NYRB
I'd be down with this. I've been asking for a left footed attacking player so yes please.

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa

Summer signings = signings for the following year. Does the Marschbot not learn or is it simply programmed to rationalize red bull cheapassery?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,989 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i think we get him and buy out the final 6 months of the contract to have him in with the team for some of the preseason, maybe? 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users