27 replies to this topic

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

I don't see the values of the draft either... not like Tim Ream will ever be an integral part of this team. Or Tony Tchani for that matter.

As an aside, the academy will begin to bear its fruit as soon as Agudelo sees his first league minutes. The trade of Kandji and the recent quotes from Backe indicate that he's on the cusp for league minutes.

Agudelo will be the first in what we all hope will become a golden pipeline of academy developed products plying their trade for their local soccer team.

FYP?

Please don't give me a near heart attack next time

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.
Obviously, a good player is a good player, no matter where they come from. Lots of talented kids prioritize a degree first, doesnt mean they're not talented and capable...

but our DEPENDENCE on NCAA is what scares me. AND, I would like to see USMNT playing getting exposure to the professional game earlier... but poo pooing the draft all together isn't the answer.

I've often dreamed of some crazy system where MLS team academies form partnerships with Colleges... basically running an academy U20 side as the NCAA team + a flexible way for first team kids to still finish their degrees and take classes..... pipe dream

hoboken16

hoboken16

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Pompey

Obviously, a good player is a good player, no matter where they come from. Lots of talented kids prioritize a degree first, doesnt mean they're not talented and capable...

but our DEPENDENCE on NCAA is what scares me. AND, I would like to see USMNT playing getting exposure to the professional game earlier... but poo pooing the draft all together isn't the answer.

I've often dreamed of some crazy system where MLS team academies form partnerships with Colleges... basically running an academy U20 side as the NCAA team + a flexible way for first team kids to still finish their degrees and take classes..... pipe dream

Kinda like BYU's squad, they play in PDL not NCAA but technically they are a "Club" team so they can have different rules. I don't know all of the specifics

KDyer1012

KDyer1012

Well, he's no Michael Lewis...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Supports:One of those bogus Euro or S.A. teams

Didn't Bruce Arena or maybe Steve Sampson banter about this awhile back? Basically making all college teams essentially club teams so they wouldn't be under the auspices of NCAA scholarship rules and having players under pro contracts, meaning that they can go to school and maybe play a five or six month season instead of just three?

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Didn't Bruce Arena or maybe Steve Sampson banter about this awhile back? Basically making all college teams essentially club teams so they wouldn't be under the auspices of NCAA scholarship rules and having players under pro contracts, meaning that they can go to school and maybe play a five or six month season instead of just three?

I don't specifically recall, but if so, I wish someone would listen to them.

My main thoughts are a) a kid should never have to chose between pro soccer and school, lots of American moms won't let you even consider passing up a college scholarship to be a pro athlete... and b) to get our top USMNT prospects playing at a pro level as early as possible.

I love Ream.. and I respect the NCAA for producing him. But you can't help but think about the impact of getting experience as a pro from 18-23 instead of being a rookie at 22.

Calpico

Calpico

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, April 25 Sports Club
Some MLB teams dream of 19K for a weekday game.
"There are no time-out's in soccer? ... Really?" - Coach John McGuirk

http://calpicotime.tumblr.com/

Matrim55

Matrim55

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,303 posts
  • Supports:Metros

I don't specifically recall, but if so, I wish someone would listen to them.

My main thoughts are a) a kid should never have to chose between pro soccer and school, lots of American moms won't let you even consider passing up a college scholarship to be a pro athlete... and b) to get our top USMNT prospects playing at a pro level as early as possible.

I love Ream.. and I respect the NCAA for producing him. But you can't help but think about the impact of getting experience as a pro from 18-23 instead of being a rookie at 22.

FWIW, the NCAA is in the process of tweaking their rules.

More reading here:

http://www.bigsoccer...d.php?t=1320309

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

Some MLB teams dream of 19K for a weekday game.

Every MLB team in the country would sell out all of their home games if they only had 16. And NFL teams wouldnt sell out 90k stadiums if they had to play 45 home games a year or however many baseball teams play.

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund | Everton | Fulham | Barca
  • Supports:MetroStars

I'm still waiting for you to make your first good post.

ouch.. is it cold in here or is it me?

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

And NFL teams wouldnt sell out 90k stadiums if they had to play 45 home games a year or however many baseball teams play.

Not a baseball fan, huh?

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

Not a baseball fan, huh?

Nope. Was kind of just going off of hockey and adding a couple. Haha holy shit its 81.

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Nope. Was kind of just going off of hockey and adding a couple. Haha holy shit its 81.

Even I know this shit, I think you are posturing.

Wutz13

Wutz13

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
2-page spread, including interview with RB owner on Henry to RB in today's FRANCE FOOTBALL. Plus readers poll "Should European leagues go MLS way concerning salary cap, redistribution of tv rights, etc and transfer policy."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users