#1 josh24601

josh24601

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

I'm making a new thread because this could become a subject in and of itself soon. I just posted this on the 2014 USMNT lineup banter thread, but I'll post it again here.

Rumors are heating up....

MLSSoccer.com, of all places, is running a story about the future of Bob Bradley.

Kick Off: Is a coaching change forthcoming for USMNT?

The second paragraph:

While the USSF say that Gulati’s statement is not necessarily indicative of a change, this news comes on the heels of another report from veteran soccer writer Mark Ziegler stating that “Bradley has lost the locker room” while citing a source close to the team as saying “the players are miserable.

They link to the Ziegler article which says:

This is less about tactics or techniques than timing.

History has taught us that national coaches who hang around for a second World Cup cycle almost always fail, and of all countries, the United States should know that. Bruce Arena guided the 2002 team to the quarterfinals. He stuck around for 2006, and the Yanks didn’t win a game.

Everything that history told us would happen has happened: the team has gone stale, players lack motivation, Bradley has lost the locker room, inferior teams are beating now it. As one person close to the team put it: “The players are miserable.”

Another issue is Bradley’s son, Michael. He was a key piece of the 2010 World Cup team but clearly has lost something – a step, his composure, an edge, something. Yet he played 535 of a possible 540 minutes during the Gold Cup, and the whispers about nepotism, warranted or not, are growing.

The biggest problem, though, is what Bradley represents. He is an exponent of the very system that has delivered a roster of robots to his national team: the youth clubs, college soccer, Major League Soccer.

#2 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

My favorite line from that article:

3. Hire a foreign national coach

Then tell him there’s no need to find a house in the States. Let him live in London, or Berlin, or Amsterdam, or some quaint European town with a train station.

#3 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

Rumors are heating up....

MLSSoccer.com, of all places, is running a story about the future of Bob Bradley.

The second paragraph:

They link to the Ziegler article which says:

The biggest problem, though, is what Bradley represents. He is an exponent of the very system that has delivered a roster of robots to his national team: the youth clubs, college soccer, Major League Soccer.

This is exactly the thesis of my email to Sunil Gulati. The players ought to be miserable. They have become small parts in a bigger machine that flashes a few lights and spits out a goal now and then but most of the time just smokes and belches and watches the opponent go right through the middle of the pitch.
:blink:

#4 fredo9

fredo9

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • Interests:The Beautiful Game & Ugly Tales
  • Supports:GALAXY!

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

Ask Landon at 1:00 today!

ESPN Live Chat with LD
"That's life." -Bruce Arena

"There's no easy games in The MLS." -Robbie Keane

See You Later, My Friend!

#5 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

I am prepared for disappointment.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#6 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

This.

Although I wouldn't mind hearing some good news, I feel the machine will keep stumbling along....

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#7 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

Ditto. Chances are the liaise faire US Soccer board will give BB another year to screw things up even more. Even if they do sack him, I don't expect them to make any real changes to the system that keeps them in power. :viking:

#8 romero03

romero03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts
  • Supports:USMNT

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

Yup. They won't fire BB unless they have someone ready to step in. Don't think they are eager to fire BB either with 3 years remaining in his contract. Who wants to take the job? Doubt it will be an international coach, won't take the pay cut to coach this team. So, that leaves an MLS coach for the job.

In mediocrity we trust...
Twitter

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders, Galaxy, LA Kings, ASU, Notre Dame(football)

#9 El Cabezon

El Cabezon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

Yup. They won't fire BB unless they have someone ready to step in. Don't think they are eager to fire BB either with 3 years remaining in his contract. Who wants to take the job? Doubt it will be an international coach, won't take the pay cut to coach this team. So, that leaves an MLS coach for the job.

In mediocrity we trust...

Fuck it, bring back Bob Gansler. (ABB) Anyone But Bradley.

#10 El Cabezon

El Cabezon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

Ask Landon at 1:00 today!

ESPN Live Chat with LD

Ask him why the US continues to turn down the Copa America, where the competition is far better than the Mickey Mouse Gold Cup.

#11 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

Javier Aguirre for USMNT coach.

Let's Eat!

#12 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

Based upon Nicol's comments at halftime, we can scratch him off the list:

"They got beat by a better team (Mexico). The US isn't good enough. I'm not sure who could do better.

Fundamental changes are needed. Those changes will come much more slowly if, 1) the US fails to qualify for the next WC, 2) there is no philosophical change. The coach needs to be changed, but only if it signals a fundamental shift in approach. Klinsman has been the closest to showing the way, and Sunil likes him. I feel that he is only one with a realistic chance, and only on his terms.
:pint:

#13 El Cabezon

El Cabezon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:17 PM

Based upon Nicol's comments at halftime, we can scratch him off the list:

Fundamental changes are needed. Those changes will come much more slowly if, 1) the US fails to qualify for the next WC, 2) there is no philosophical change. The coach needs to be changed, but only if it signals a fundamental shift in approach. Klinsman has been the closest to showing the way, and Sunil likes him. I feel that he is only one with a realistic chance, and only on his terms.
:pint:

+ Infinity

Kilnsmann to US Soccer = Peter the Great to Russia

#14 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

It is going to take at least 2 WC cycles to get this corrected. Klinsman, or whoever they hire, needs to prove that he's moving the whole system in the right direction over the next couple of years and US Soccer needs to shoot for 2018 and 2024. I'm sure this is a fantasy, but I fear that anything less will fail.
:unsure:

#15 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

Javier Aguirre for USMNT coach.

I'd support this. #notjoking

Better would be Hugo Sanchez #notjoking