5 replies to this topic

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
It's always some sort of an excuse for this team.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

You prefer I just kick and scream when we lose? This was a difficult game for legitimate reasons other than "we suck". The team came close to a point under those circumstances, sorry that I don't see it as a total disaster.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

You prefer I just kick and scream when we lose? This was a difficult game for legitimate reasons other than "we suck". The team came close to a point under those circumstances, sorry that I don't see it as a total disaster.

Almost halfway through the season, 15 regular season games and 2 open cup games and the team has scored...

Over 2 goals - 0x
2 goals - 2x
1 goal - 8x
0 goals - 7x

Close isn't good enough, Elias isn't good enough, the guy can't score if his life depended on it, we all know Barlow doesn't belong at this level.

Travel is an excuse, short weeks are an excuse, these guys aren't even flying on regular flights anymore, they have chartered flights now so and are flying in comfort. Good teams overcome this stuff. We aren't a good team.

This isn't a 1 off game where the team just ran out of gas and couldn't score. It's the same shit we have been seeing all year, the fact that this team is absolutely pathetic offensively.

Season is 2 games away from being half over and it's been that way all season. Pretty soon the injury/suspension excuse will be gone with Morgan, Luq and Dante all back and I'm sure some of you will find an excuse as to why the team is still losing and not scoring.

This team wasn't built well and bringing back Elias and Barlow is a fucking joke and this team simply isn't good enough to win anything that matters.

I'll gladly admit I'm wrong if it happens and hell I'd be estastic to be wrong but yeah somehow calling out this team for what it is, not good enough is somehow just simply kicking and screaming.

Must be nice to live in la la land.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
I'm not saying you can't point out what the team has struggled with, I do all the time. I'm not gonna put up a strong argument against anything you wrote there.

But theres a flip side to that coin, why can't I point out when certain things go well or when the team is in a tough position to win without it just being a bunch of excuses? We're just gonna complain until they're back on the brink of an MLS Cup cause anything else is letting them off the hook? If that's how you want to spend your time following the team knock yourself out, that type of sports fandom isn't for me.

Although as far as excuses go, injury bugs are pretty legit imo. I don't think you see many teams win championships in any league when 25-50% of the team's best players spend most of the season on the sideline. Especially true in MLS where the cap means you can't spend much on depth.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

With Struber gone I think we've gone back to being a high floor, low ceiling team. We can't score for shit, but we are solid defensively. We stay in games, but aren't quite good enough to win them consistently. We're average. Hard to play against, but average.

Getting Luqui back should help a bit over time if Lesesne can figure out a way to play to his strengths; getting Morgan back will help. With all of our pieces, we're still 1-2 strong offensive players away from being a "good" team, but we're solid enough to make the playoffs with everyone healthy. Ndam has filled in well enough, so that has me less worried about when Reyes & others go on INTL duty, but the only real hope for this season turning into something that we're happy about rests on the sporting director realizing that we need more offense, and I think some combination of Morgan coming back & Vanzeir catching a hot streak.

Those seem somewhere between possible & not likely. Ideally, we get some quality replacements so the likes of Barlow & D. Nealis don't see the field regularly. But, that seems like our fate for now. I think we scrape it back together & make the playoffs, but we go out in the first round again as we'd need some sort of big splash signing to come in & make a difference, and I don't think that's very likely. 

If nothing else comes out of this year: We dropped Struber & seem to have found a good dude in Lesesne. 

Honestly, I don't hate that. I think a worse result would've been Struber doing just well enough to renew his contract. If nothing else, we've gotten out of that scenario.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Valid reasons are valid reason but if they look like this with everyone healthy and at end of June bigger problem

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users