Most Irrelevant Team (from Metro Perspective)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

Since we will all be treated to meaningless rivalry talk over the next week (and because I'm procrastinating), I thought it would be interesting to think of the most irrelevant team in MLS from the perspective of Metro fans. Historically and currently what other teams in the league do you just not care about?

Personally, I would have to put Colorado at #1. We've been playing them for 20 seasons now and I cannot think of a single meaningful (or even memorable) game we've played against them. I remember Guevara scoring at hatrick at Colorado once and that's pretty much the only game against them I can even think of off the top of my head (save Wednesday night). Not to mention they've never been exceptionally good, so I can't even think of a season where I looked forward to seeing us square up against a good team.

I'd probably put Vancouver at #2--although they're the only team in MLS that we have never beaten.

In the Eastern Conference Montreal probably gets the top spot in my opinion. Just perennially irrelevant. Although Titi did always bring his A-game against them. Toronto and Philly get honorable mentions.

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

I originally thought of Colorado but we went through a string of games when we played there around July 4th every year, and lost or tied every game. Also Conor Casey was on that team.

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Personally, I would have to put Colorado at #1. We've been playing them for 20 seasons now and I cannot think of a single meaningful (or even memorable) game we've played against them. I remember Guevara scoring at hatrick at Colorado once and that's pretty much the only game against them I can even think of off the top of my head (save Wednesday night). Not to mention they've never been exceptionally good, so I can't even think of a season where I looked forward to seeing us square up against a good team.

I remember Colorado spanking us 4-0 on at least two occasions.  I also remember them beating us 3-1 at RBA with Omar Cummings firing a rocket from 25 yards out.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

I originally thought of Colorado but we went through a string of games when we played there around July 4th every year, and lost or tied every game. Also Conor Casey was on that team.

Somehow I didn't really start to dislike Casey until he started to play for Philly. We have a 16-17 record against them all time (1 US open cup game, the rest are league). I'm sure we've had a couple bad losses to them (hard not to in 20 seasons), but I still never give them a second thought for better or worst. It doesn't mean I consider them an automatic three points, but I never get excited about playing them.

joshgabs

joshgabs

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, USMNT

For me, the irrelevant teams are Colorado, and FC Dallas. I know we played a knockout game vs FCD, but other than that, I don't really have interest in them.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I'd have to agree that no matter how many times we've played and not got a result against Colorado, just doesn't bother me as much. Vancouver too, and to a lesser extent, San Jose and maybe FC Dallas. Those two teams at least have a soul-crushing win against us, the 2010 playoff loss at home and the 97 Open Cup semifinal loss at Columbia University.

Other teams to me that have a certain level of irrelevance to me: Montreal, Real Salt Lake, Philly and Toronto (sorta)

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

I'd have to agree that no matter how many times we've played and not got a result against Colorado, just doesn't bother me as much. Vancouver too, and to a lesser extent, San Jose and maybe FC Dallas. Those two teams at least have a soul-crushing win against us, the 2010 playoff loss at home and the 97 Open Cup semifinal loss at Columbia University.

Other teams to me that have a certain level of irrelevance to me: Montreal, Real Salt Lake, Philly and Toronto (sorta)

Can't agree on San Jose due to the 2010 playoffs, as well as the fact that back when they had Donovan we played some true classics against them. I remember a 4:4 @ NY and a 5:5 @SJ. They never had a rivalry feeling to them but they were always really fun games to watch.

I might throw Portland into the mix as well, should've mentioned them the first time. A relatively new team, but those games always seem to be meaningless.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

Currently, i have something personal against Caleb Porter. Not a fan of his at all, so the game means something, at least while he's there.

SJ, sure the Landon years, but meh for more than a decade.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

MadisonMetro

MadisonMetro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

My own personal rankings of irrelevancy (heavily biased)

1. Colorado

2. Vancouver

3. Dallas

4. Orlando

5. Philadelphia

6. Montreal

7. Salt Lake

8. Portland

9. San Jose

10. Toronto

11. Kansas City

12. Columbus

13. Houston

14. Seattle

15. LA

16. New England

17. NYC

18. D.C.

19. Chicago

I really fucking hate Chicago.

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Currently, i have something personal against Caleb Porter. Not a fan of his at all, so the game means something, at least while he's there.

SJ, sure the Landon years, but meh for more than a decade.

Can't say I've got anything personal against him, but I've never seen a coach suffer so many unorthodox post-game handshakes (Guardiola in All-Star game; There was something weird going on between him and FC Dallas' coach over a tissue a few weeks back).

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

my thing with porter is not mls club team related.

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

my thing with porter is not mls club team related.

College ball?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

USYNT

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Colorado. Our most memorable game vs them, the 5:3 win in 2000, was NOT because of the opponent. "REVENGE IS COMING".

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
I think by default it has to be a western team. It's a bit of a cop out to choose a newer expansion team.

Of the remaining teams, I'd agree with Colorado.

LA is our "natural" west coast rival. SJ knocked us out of the playoffs. KC used to be in the east. Portland and Vancouver are new. Seattle invented soccer and I hate their fans in forums.

Dallas might be up there in terms of irrelevancy. I can't think of any other west teams without googling so there's that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users