1903 replies to this topic

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

The reason for that was always because the seasons overlapped so there was no alternative (similar to Russian/Scandinavian teams in UEFA). Now with MLS ending in December and CCL proper starting in Feb/March, it would make very little sense to keep doing that.

I suppose the only motivation would be to avoid a confusing qualification process.    The previous format was a bit ambitious

Not much of a league anymore though, they might as well call it the Concacaf Champions Cup again. We will see if this will be the format that finally catches on for them. 

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

We are in Pot 1 with 3 other MLS sides and 4 Liga MX sides. The other pot is Seven Central American/Carribean teams and Toronto. 

Somebody is leaving that draw maaaaaaaaad. 

I expected it to go down like this, but has this actually been confirmed? 

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We are in Pot 1 with 3 other MLS sides and 4 Liga MX sides. The other pot is Seven Central American/Carribean teams and Toronto. 

Somebody is leaving that draw maaaaaaaaad. 

Bradley and Jozy when they realize they might have to play in front of Costa Rican fans in the second round.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Draw is scheduled for December 18 at 7 PM.  CONCACAF instituted a club ranking formula which kicked Colorado to Pot 2 and moved Toronto to Pot 1.

https://twitter.com/...897301830324225

Can't be drawn against Colorado, so our possible opponents are:

- Saprissa (CRC)

- Herediano (CRC)

- Tauro (PAN)

- Motagua (HON)

- Olimpia (HON)

- Santa Tecla (SLV)

- Cibao (DOM)

First round kicks off sometime in February.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
So best draw would be Santa Tecla or Cibao

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

CONCACAF club index seems like an excuse to bump Colorado out for Toronto. Individual teams aren't ranked, individual countries aren't ranked, rather 'qualifying slots' are ranked. So in this scenario in the future it will be possible to qualify for Group 1 with the Mex teams by finishing the shield runner up and qualify for Group 2 by actually winning the SS. This is just soooo CONCACAF. Let's create a ranking formula that might incentive teams to finish in a lower position in their domestic league.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

CONCACAF club index seems like an excuse to bump Colorado out for Toronto. Individual teams aren't ranked, individual countries aren't ranked, rather 'qualifying slots' are ranked. So in this scenario in the future it will be possible to qualify for Group 1 with the Mex teams by finishing the shield runner up and qualify for Group 2 by actually winning the SS. This is just soooo CONCACAF. Let's create a ranking formula that might incentive teams to finish in a lower position in their domestic league.

Insanity

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

If anyone is curious, of the non-MLS teams is the tournament Metro has only played Club America and Chivas.

Last year they won a friendly against America 2-0 (SWP, Metzger).

We've played 4 friendlies against Chivas and compiled a 1-2-1 record. We also 'played' 2 competitive games against the goats in the 2001 Copa Mercanortes. However, both games were forfeited by Chivas. They used post-9/11 'safety concerns' as an excuse for their refusal to travel to NY, in reality they has an important Liga MX game coming up and didn't want to travel for a 3rd tier international tournament. Thus, Metro was denied their first chance to play a competitive game in Mexico and have not had an opportunity to do so since.

Chivas was booted from the tournament and, I believe, banned from international competition for multiple years.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
So we are playing Olimpia of Honduras on one of these dates... away February 20-22 and at home February 27th - March 1st.

So how are our chances looking for those that know anything about this team?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

They were the winner of the play-in tournament. So, theoretically, a good draw?

Hope it snows here.

Are the brackets on Wikipedia correct? If so, our winner gets Tijuana-Motagua.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RiverEnergyDrink

RiverEnergyDrink

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

They were the winner of the play-in tournament. So, theoretically, a good draw?

Hope it snows here.

Definitely not a bad draw.  I was just initially hoping that we'd avoid the 2 costa rican teams.  Facing Saprissa would have been a nightmare. 

Also, possibly facing Tijuana in the QFs is a little less intimidating than Tigres or America. 

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
Outside of the two Costa Rican teams, Olympia was probably the next toughest draw to get.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

CONCACAF instituted a club ranking formula which kicked Colorado to Pot 2 and moved Toronto to Pot 1.

They wound up being drawn against each other.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
Wow I'm pretty excited about this draw, we should be able to have a chance against the Honduran team and the away game in Tijuana is 100% possible for me! What a dream that would be!!!

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I was momentarily super excited about the prospect of a Tijuana away game, then I realized I would be away on vacation and felt very sad.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users