106 replies to this topic

wykell

wykell

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York
So... I actually know and grew up with Robles. And the first thing I did when I saw his name linked to RBNY was "Oh shit, please no, don't bring him here..."

His shakiness has always been an issue - I was a goalkeeper for the same club, only two playing years his junior, and I STILL remember the day, 10ish years ago when he was dropped from the roster of a major college showcase tournament and they brought me up to play with the bigger boys because Robles had a confidence crisis or something.

Basically, I see Robles as being twice as aggressive as Sutton with half the acrobatic ability of Bouna (and worse positioning, which makes him LOOK more acrobatic than he needs to be). He IS (if I remember correctly) relatively skilled at taking away 1 on 1 type situations (and watching those youtube highlights confirms). But he's just not very good with his hands (or wasn't). I don't remember his GK taking abilities, but I mean, most 16 year old girls that play for top clubs take better GKs than Bouna did, so anything there will be an improvement.

The one other thing I remember, but I'm guessing/hoping that has changed with his age, is that he was kind of a hard guy to get along with (but that may have also been b/c he didn't like me as a younger rival).

Oh, and if for whatever reason we bring him in within the next week, it means he'll be cutting his teeth playing for a home crowd in Tucson, which will of course probably help his confidence greatly (until his first screwup).

so yeah, I knew the guy growing up and haven't seen him in 10 years, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't really want him on the team. And maybe that's just because I'm bitter that he made it to the professional level whereas I missed out.
Dabbler in Fine Things Everywhere

Teams I support, in order of precedence
US Men's National Team, New York Red Bulls; MLS Squads*; Manchester United (been a fan since I could walk); Barcelona (been a fan since they started PAYING to wear the UNICEF logo)

Will-NEVER-Support-List
Mexico; Italy; DC United; David Beckham's current team (post-United); Liverpool; Michael Owen's Hamstring; The entire City of Philadelphia.

Grimnitz

Grimnitz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hertha BSC, FC Harlem

So... I actually know and grew up with Robles. And the first thing I did when I saw his name linked to RBNY was "Oh shit, please no, don't bring him here..."

His shakiness has always been an issue - I was a goalkeeper for the same club, only two playing years his junior, and I STILL remember the day, 10ish years ago when he was dropped from the roster of a major college showcase tournament and they brought me up to play with the bigger boys because Robles had a confidence crisis or something.

Basically, I see Robles as being twice as aggressive as Sutton with half the acrobatic ability of Bouna (and worse positioning, which makes him LOOK more acrobatic than he needs to be). He IS (if I remember correctly) relatively skilled at taking away 1 on 1 type situations (and watching those youtube highlights confirms). But he's just not very good with his hands (or wasn't). I don't remember his GK taking abilities, but I mean, most 16 year old girls that play for top clubs take better GKs than Bouna did, so anything there will be an improvement.

The one other thing I remember, but I'm guessing/hoping that has changed with his age, is that he was kind of a hard guy to get along with (but that may have also been b/c he didn't like me as a younger rival).

Oh, and if for whatever reason we bring him in within the next week, it means he'll be cutting his teeth playing for a home crowd in Tucson, which will of course probably help his confidence greatly (until his first screwup).

so yeah, I knew the guy growing up and haven't seen him in 10 years, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't really want him on the team. And maybe that's just because I'm bitter that he made it to the professional level whereas I missed out.

Thanks for the insight, it echoes along with other things I have been sounding out on this kid. As I had written elsewhere, my ears on the ground around Karlsruhe tell me he is a wonderful person, nice guy, pillar of society, and the fans like him. However he has made increasingly horrifying gaffes over the past year or so, and always seemed lost where to place himself on set pieces and corners. His “suspension” was a clearance of roster space, and he was informed mid season that he would no longer factor in KSCs plans moving forward, very JPAesque.

His confidence is low, and emotionally him and his wife Cara have been trying to have a baby, but the miscarriage last May got them down, and it is speculated that has had additional impact on his performance.

He went from #1 to #3 and off the roster in a year that saw his club get relegated and freefalling all the way down to the 3rd liga.

This is just based on fan feedback, I have no indications if any of this came from a professional or organizational level, but it does seem to add up.

Will Soler and Backe build him into what we need? Well they did a fantastic job with JPA, Sutton, and Bouna so…
"What do I have to do to get you into my van?"~Konrad

“Sellouts are extremely important to us for what we're trying to start here.”-Chris Heck
http://www.facebook.com/VikingArmySC

wykell

wykell

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

His confidence is low, and emotionally him and his wife Cara have been trying to have a baby, but the miscarriage last May got them down, and it is speculated that has had additional impact on his performance.

This is just based on fan feedback, I have no indications if any of this came from a professional or organizational level, but it does seem to add up.

Woah, that's really personal (and sad for anyone) information to get passed around as "fan feedback" - and yeah, I think my negative personal experiences with him were b/c of us being teenaged and "competing" - but if there is one thing a fellow keeper can judge another one on, it's confidence, and any time we trained or played together, he always left me wondering about how his could be so low.

Seeing how bad it was for Bouna (and from what I understand, a lot of that had to do with Des being let go and the current coaching staff not being very sympathetic and just expecting results from the keepers), I just really don't think he'll be a fit here. And I worry that he's going to be brought in, play 2 lights out games for us with a large contingent of family and hometown friends, get signed, and not have the other shoe drop until he's in RBA and drops his first cross for an easy tap-in.

US Men's National Team, New York Red Bulls; MLS Squads*; Manchester United (been a fan since I could walk); Barcelona (been a fan since they started PAYING to wear the UNICEF logo)

Will-NEVER-Support-List
Mexico; Italy; DC United; David Beckham's current team (post-United); Liverpool; Michael Owen's Hamstring; The entire City of Philadelphia.

GMoney

GMoney

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
wykell,

Thanks for the very fair assessment. Appreciate your honestly and candor, especially because you noted you might be bitter becuase he's better than you.

I thought he looked shaky in the 1 game I saw him also. Like no confidence coming out to get a ball kind of thing.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Grimnitz

Grimnitz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hertha BSC, FC Harlem
But hey, if its a head trip holding him back, maybe the scenery will help. Maybe kicking alongside the big names we have, as *cough* well seasoned they may be, will give him that HOLY SHIT THESE GUYS ARE LEGEND feeling. Maybe the feeling of being "home" and a little luck from the Stork can pull him out of the funk.

I am hopeful, and welcoming, but still skeptical of this idea. Because if he falls apart because of a gaffe in front of THIS crowd, he's done.
"What do I have to do to get you into my van?"~Konrad

“Sellouts are extremely important to us for what we're trying to start here.”-Chris Heck
http://www.facebook.com/VikingArmySC

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

He went from #1 to #3 and off the roster in a year that saw his club get relegated and freefalling all the way down to the 3rd liga.

Will Soler and Backe build him into what we need? Well they did a fantastic job with JPA, Sutton, and Bouna so…

Gaffes or not the article I read yesterday said that he went through 6 different managers in 1.5 seasons. That can't be easy on anybody and frankly makes Metro look normal.

I wouldn't worry tho. We have a great GK coach who has a track record of developing American and MLS talent....oh wait, we don't.

Section133

Section133

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Supports:Metros
I heard he doesnt recycle either.

Hutskizzle

Hutskizzle

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

I heard he doesnt recycle either.

That son of a bitch.

Mike
Petke
Fever
Catch It.

wykell

wykell

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

wykell,

Thanks for the very fair assessment. Appreciate your honestly and candor, especially because you noted you might be bitter becuase he's better than you.

I never said that he was better than me - I said that I used to be better than him. If I hadn't stepped on that land mine in Harraby Lad's Soccer Store, I'm sure it would be me playing 2nd division German football instead of him. So yeah, I guess now he probably is better than me. what with not having a foot and all.

Effing New Jersey.

Will-NEVER-Support-List

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I never said that he was better than me - I said that I used to be better than him. If I hadn't stepped on that land mine in Harraby Lad's Soccer Store, I'm sure it would be me playing 2nd division German football instead of him. So yeah, I guess now he probably is better than me. what with not having a foot and all.

Effing New Jersey.

Bouna, is that you?

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
The Fuck, MLS?

Goff
German-based GK Luis Robles was available for discovery, so Red Bulls did it. Now #MLS says he's subject to allocation. Robles not coming

Hutskizzle

Hutskizzle

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

The Fuck, MLS?

Goff
German-based GK Luis Robles was available for discovery, so Red Bulls did it. Now #MLS says he's subject to allocation. Robles not coming

:lol:

Mike
Petke
Fever
Catch It.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

The Fuck, MLS?

Goff

Mls 1.0 file still hasnt been fully uninstalled. He will be held hostage by a team that doesnt want him.

5 year plan

simont

simont

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls USMNT Tottenham Hotspur
This is the kind of thing that makes MLS look Mickey Mouse what other league has dumb rules like this wear a player has to go in to some kind of allocation. MLS needs to drop all this dumb rules ok the league is like 17 years old let teams run them self’s. If a team wants to go after a player then let them. This kind of stuff dose not let teams get better. Now we have a big problem who the hell is going to be the starting keeper this season. Are Jeremy Vuolo and Ryan Meara reedy to be the starter? I don’t think they are.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

The Fuck, MLS?

Goff

Is it asking too much for a link to the article?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users