ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Y
I had heard this during the game on Sunday.
Supposedly BWP asked for a contract extension,
which was denied, then asked for a trade.
There may have been some interest,
but RB may want a big transfer fee.
Our record lately without him has been good.
Can we actually win anything without him?

His contract expires this year, right? It would make sense that he would like to play more as he still has gas in the tank. Also makes sense for FO to balk at this precise point in time when he's not played in a month, and he's not delivered this season pre-injury.

Also, don't think any teams will pay up for a 34-yo BWP, in a trade or in (significant) salary. His DP contract was a bargain in years past but no one will pay a premium on a new contract for past performance.

Hopefully it's just a dumb rumor.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Dumbest shit I ever heard; hes retiring here 100%

This.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Also makes sense for FO to balk at this precise point in time when he's not played in a month, and he's not delivered this season pre-injury.

Its been an absolute clown show around him to start the season. Not his fault.

But from a business side yes, they could point to his lack of production. Ridiculous, but true.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Its been an absolute clown show around him to start the season. Not his fault.

But from a business side yes, they could point to his lack of production. Ridiculous, but true.

Totally agree that it's not his fault, but if true, and if the contract request is a recent event, he's timed it very poorly. Literally his lowest point since, I don't know, six months after arriving here.

ig101

ig101

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

They shouldn't be desperate to have his salary off the books, and we have an open DP spot if the team decides to spend something over the summer.

They seem to be desperate to save some $ here lately.  :cool:

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

It is entirely possible he asked for an extension or a trade, but it doesn't seem likely or like him.

I also couldn't blame the FO if they said no to an extension at this point, with his extended dry spell and his current injury.    Sure, we have cap and a spare DP slot, but that's a separate matter.

First hope is that he quickly gets fit and goes on an incredible scoring binge and we give him another year (if that's what he wants).    Second best would be him being a class act and not going out on a sour note like Reyna.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

BWP was inevitably going to slow down. I thought we had 1 or 2 more good years but to be fair, the team was not playing good when he was in the lineup. I do not think he is done inflicting damage on the rest of the league and want to see him back on the field contributing. That said, I can't see his production being worth a starting role after next season, possibly the season after that. Goals are coming from all over the place now which is weird since the majority came from BWP before. I don't know if the playing style has changed or if this has been born out of necessity to keep the team as one of the elites and players took some sort of level of responsibility, or if it is just dumb luck.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
I think it would be good to keep bwp around. He doesnt seem to be a drama queen. Always fought hard for the shirt and could be a role model for the young kids who are moving up the ranks. I wonder if they would be okay keeping him as a player/coach. When stoichkov became a player/coach for DC his cap hit was only half his salary.

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea
BWP earned the right to stay here as long as he wants. Team even said as much when they retired his shirt.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

BWP earned the right to stay here as long as he wants. Team even said as much when they retired his shirt.

Saying stuff is a lot easier than actually doing stuff, especially when it involves paying for it.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

You have to think they had a lengthy conversation about what that would mean, before retiring his number.   I still can't comprehend retiring a player's number before they actually retire themselves.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
Since you and everyone else can't comprehend retiring BWPs number, how can you imply that there was a lengthy conversation or even a thought process that led up to it? The whole ceremony was weird and makes perfect sense when you realize the joke this front office has been in so many regards, specifically the off the field stuff.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Lol. Retiring a guy's number before a game who is still actively playing. Forgot about that gem.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Since you and everyone else can't comprehend retiring BWPs number, how can you imply that there was a lengthy conversation or even a thought process that led up to it?

Exactly. It was a great gesture, but its also one of the dumber things theyve done.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

I will never assume that the FO won't default to doing the shittiest thing.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users