325 replies to this topic

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

Bradley on if his brother decides to sign for NYCFC: "If he goes there, I would delete his number."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/extratime

I busted out laughing when he said that his brother would have to choose between "his brother or a club."

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

bump.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

http://www.espn.com/...f-mls-very-best

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts

Thinking some of you pay a little too much attention to who these guys are related to.  Just take the player for what they are worth.  By that logic, you wouldn't have Federico Higuain on this team and that dude is just a damn good player.

Digao has some things to like.  Defenders with any aerial prowess are worth gold in this league, and you have to figure that he has some ability with the ball at his feet.  I didn't mind that signing at the time.  Just sucks because he's blown so much time being injured.

Young Rooney I seen as a bigger waste of time to be honest because it really felt like we were just going after the name in that situation.

Wright-Phillips has everything we want, at least on paper.  Guy is fast, something we don't have, and the guy can finish.  Something outside of Henry we don't do with regularity.  I could care less who his brother is.

Bump! Rereading the early part of this thread was fun. Komba (and RedBullScouse) were right on. Nice call boys

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,267 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

To be honest it seems like his career has been nothing but a downward slope. I am interested to see if he can even start over Johnny Steele.

Giggle
2013 & 2015 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,733 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

http://www.espn.com/...f-mls-very-best

Nice article by Graham Parker.  
Doesn't mention that it was TH who said that BWP should be scoring more.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,120 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Bump! Rereading the early part of this thread was fun. Komba (and RedBullScouse) were right on. Nice call boys

Blind squirrels and broken clocks

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

The only way we need BWPs replacement here a year before we are ready to get rid of BWP is if we have a Casseres prospect in mind that we need to groom.  However, for the Bobby Wood's of the world/Kaku player just sign them as when you are ready to need it.  As long as you are able to get the person during the winter window they have enough time to integrate.

But the way BWP looks this could be a 2020 problem 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,120 posts

The only way we need BWPs replacement here a year before we are ready to get rid of BWP is if we have a Casseres prospect in mind that we need to groom.  However, for the Bobby Wood's of the world/Kaku player just sign them as when you are ready to need it.  As long as you are able to get the person during the winter window they have enough time to integrate.

But the way BWP looks this could be a 2020 problem 

On his form, definitely... but he and we have been very lucky with him re: injuries.  

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,267 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

On his form, definitely... but he and we have been very lucky with him re: injuries.  

What worries me with BWP is that for the past two years he has talked about being at the tail end of his career and his career winding down and wanting to assist more than score.

That mentality is concerning but hasn't really impacted what has been seen on the field.

Would be interested to see how he reacts if he gets into a slump. Does he try to break out of it or does he assume it's age?
2013 & 2015 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,120 posts

What worries me with BWP is that for the past two years he has talked about being at the tail end of his career and his career winding down and wanting to assist more than score.

That mentality is concerning but hasn't really impacted what has been seen on the field.

Would be interested to see how he reacts if he gets into a slump. Does he try to break out of it or does he assume it's age?

It has had an impact, but in a good way.   

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

It has had an impact, but in a good way.   

I like balance in a striker, and the assist for Kaku (I think?) was one of the best passes I've seen from anyone in a RB shirt, but do you remember the situation vs RSL where BWP tried to pass the ball when he was 15 yards out and all alone against the keeper? I think everyone would have liked him to pull the trigger there rather than pass.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,733 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

do you remember the situation vs RSL where BWP tried to pass the ball when he was 15 yards out and all alone against the keeper? I think everyone would have liked him to pull the trigger there rather than pass.

We have seen him do much better. Sometimes, thought can interfere with instinct. Perhaps the three assists against Portland were in his mind.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,120 posts

I like balance in a striker, and the assist for Kaku (I think?) was one of the best passes I've seen from anyone in a RB shirt, but do you remember the situation vs RSL where BWP tried to pass the ball when he was 15 yards out and all alone against the keeper? I think everyone would have liked him to pull the trigger there rather than pass.

No one gets every decision right, but those three assists in the previous game show a willingness and ability to do more than just score goals

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Supports:Metro

It's 2013.  Bradley Wright Phillips scored 5 goals in 15 appearances on loan at Brentford in League One after struggling in the Championship.  Zlatan just finished his first season at PSG, scoring 35 goals in 46 appearances, winning the Ligue 1 Player of the Year, Golden Boot, and Champions League assist leader, and finished in 4th for the Ballon d'Or.

In what universe would a Metro fan someday see Zlatan come to MLS and say "Eh, that's exciting, but we have BWP"

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users