RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,347 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

http://www.mlssoccer...rch-shelved-now

Well, in the article above, Roxburgh described Wright-Phillips as a guy who can play up top or play wide and he described Stachnik as a guy who would play more in an advanced mid type of role.

As for the DP situation:

“We discussed the whole subject, but we haven’t got any specific target,” said Roxburgh. “We had some names to discuss, but we don’t have one at this moment in time that we feel will be a solution for us because you’ve got to take everything [into account]: Are they available? Would they want to come here? How much does it cost? Is it appropriate for our team? Could he blend in?

“Right now, I don’t think we’ll be doing any business like that certainly in the coming few weeks. It’s wide open over the summer period in Europe and so we don’t have to rush to it.”

Basically it's obvious guys like Benayoun are available, it's just that they don't think someone like him fits extremely well, or perhaps is good enough.  Gonna be interesting if someone shakes loose later in the process.  There are always guys.  Cahill I'm pretty sure came along later in the game last year.

It will always, almost certainly, be a late-in-the-game situation for a DP coming to MLS.  Unless its a huge deal like Henry, done well in advance, almost any player will not have MLS has his only option, so the negotiations will go to the very end of the window in order to get the best possible deal.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

It will always, almost certainly, be a late-in-the-game situation for a DP coming to MLS.  Unless its a huge deal like Henry, done well in advance, almost any player will not have MLS has his only option, so the negotiations will go to the very end of the window in order to get the best possible deal.

Good point.

Either way I like the mentality of really waiting for the right guy.  Plenty of good players out there but it's extremely important getting the right guy for the locker room and chemistry.  Also with the right priorities.

MetroTard

MetroTard

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Supports:Eric D
Is Frank Stallone available?

32panels

32panels

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Hey, you know Wayne Rooney?  Well, we got his lesser known brother...

Hey, you know Kaka?  Well, we got his lesser known brother...

Hey, you know Shaun Wright-Phillips?  Well, we're looking at his lesser known brother...

WTF is wrong with this trend?  Just because a family member is a real footballer, doesn't mean we should be going after the brothers!!

ig101

ig101

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Hey, you know Shaun Wright-Phillips?  Well, we're looking at his lesser known brother...

WTF is wrong with this trend?  Just because a family member is a real footballer, doesn't mean we should be going after the brothers!!

+10000

MetroPolishFirm

MetroPolishFirm

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • Supports:METRO, RAKÓW Częstochowa
Yeah , he might be our new Luke

Jeremy Thunder

Jeremy Thunder

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I'd take a chance on BWP, for sure. Other dude doesn't sound like much. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, though.

__    __   ______Spirit_of_96 __ __     _____    
 /_/\  /\_\ /\_____\/\_______)\/_/\__/\  ) ___ (   
 ) ) \/ ( (( (_____/\(___  __\/) ) ) ) )/ /\_/\ \  
/_/ \  / \_\\ \__\    / / /   /_/ /_/_// /_/ (_\ \ 
\ \ \\// / // /__/_  ( ( (    \ \ \ \ \\ \ )_/ / / 
 )_) )( (_(( (_____\  \ \ \    )_) ) \ \\ \/_\/ /  
 \_\/  \/_/ \/_____/  /_/_/    \_\/ \_\/ )_____(   
                   Red Bull Out                                 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,347 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Rooney was probably a low-cost, low-risk PR gimmick.  We all know what Digaou is.  But BWP (and the other guy), independant of his name, is pretty much the kind of guy with the kind of resume we would be expected to look at this time of year.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

AHighBlackman

AHighBlackman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Supports: Metro! - USMNT -

Yeah , he might be our new Luke

"He's better than Shaun, He's better than SHAUUUNNNN! That boy Bradley, He's better than Shaun."

•    Starting 11
  • ------ BWP ---------
  •   ------ SK ---------
  • - Grella ------ L.Sam ---
  • ----- Felipe - Dax ---------
  • Kemar -------------  Duvall
  •      Damien - M&M

Blood Diamond

4 - 3 - 3

4 - 2 - 3 - 1

@RaceCardUser

Instagram: blackmanjustin

jevanvoo

jevanvoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts
  • Supports:RBNY USMNT USWNT

I'd take a chance on BWP, for sure. Other dude doesn't sound like much. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, though.

eye candy, he's like a tall Kovalenko :luv:

"Onionsack- the soccer equivalent of a Jehovah's Witness" 

-Thoward18

Now it's the RedBulls fans. they may be even louder than the DC guys who, for reasons beyond imagining, had 50 seats saved for them up front.

Philadelphia: I love you guys, really, but you're getting schooled.

The noise in here is deafening.
-Bill Archer 1.14.10

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Thinking some of you pay a little too much attention to who these guys are related to.  Just take the player for what they are worth.  By that logic, you wouldn't have Federico Higuain on this team and that dude is just a damn good player.

Digao has some things to like.  Defenders with any aerial prowess are worth gold in this league, and you have to figure that he has some ability with the ball at his feet.  I didn't mind that signing at the time.  Just sucks because he's blown so much time being injured.

Young Rooney I seen as a bigger waste of time to be honest because it really felt like we were just going after the name in that situation.

Wright-Phillips has everything we want, at least on paper.  Guy is fast, something we don't have, and the guy can finish.  Something outside of Henry we don't do with regularity.  I could care less who his brother is.

cryforburke

cryforburke

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Thinking some of you pay a little too much attention to who these guys are related to.  Just take the player for what they are worth.  By that logic, you wouldn't have Federico Higuain on this team and that dude is just a damn good player.

Digao has some things to like.  Defenders with any aerial prowess are worth gold in this league, and you have to figure that he has some ability with the ball at his feet.  I didn't mind that signing at the time.  Just sucks because he's blown so much time being injured.

Young Rooney I seen as a bigger waste of time to be honest because it really felt like we were just going after the name in that situation.

Wright-Phillips has everything we want, at least on paper.  Guy is fast, something we don't have, and the guy can finish.  Something outside of Henry we don't do with regularity.  I could care less who his brother is.

I'm pretty sure Petke specifically said that Digao was terrible with the ball at his feet.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

I'm pretty sure Petke specifically said that Digao was terrible with the ball at his feet.

He didn't say terrible but he did say he has some issues there.  Also helps to see a guy for several months in order to develop a more clear scouting report on him.  When you initially make the signing, you are basing it off of what you see in a handful of practices.

If Digao sucks, he sucks.  But some people are just so into the fact that his brother is Kaka.  There was reason to like Digao at first.  The best defenders in this league tend to be guys who are good in the air whether you are talking about guys like Collin or Olave.  

My point is some people are trying to discredit Wright-Phillips because he is the brother of the other Wright-Phillips when that crazy logic would result in you NOT signing a guy like Higuain who is a very good MLS player.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

He has better credentials than Lloyd Sam did. That's not a promise of anything, but I would be willing to bet that if we asked people that followed the championship about either of them, Bradley would be considered better. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Calpico

Calpico

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, April 25 Sports Club

OK.

"There are no time-out's in soccer? ... Really?" - Coach John McGuirk

http://calpicotime.tumblr.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic