194 replies to this topic

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
No I thought Etienne had a more complete game than he did at any point last year.

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia

that shot was so bad I cant believe a pro player took it. Guess he just got under it.

He def made up for it with his goals tho. Looking forward to seeing what else he has in store for the season.

Saer Sene

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,347 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

No I thought Etienne had a more complete game than he did at any point last year.

That's not saying much

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Frieslander

Frieslander

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Supports:Metro

When Rivas hits on his free kicks theyre really, really good. His misses are just really, really bad. Does it matter if his misses are off by an inch or a mile? As long as he can connect once in awhile, weve already seen him do so in preseason, he should get more opportunities.

That may be true but Escobar has a rocket too and I'll bet he is more consistently accurate.

Soy de Metro.

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Newcastle, Palermo

He was also flopping all over in the first half like he weighed 90 pounds... I'm guessing something was said to him about that at half time, which helped

And, of course, the one time he should have went down and was actually getting fouled in the box, he stayed vertical and got the shot off.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,517 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Absolutely FANTASTIC result, but am I alone in thinking Etienne took a dozen steps backwards in earning playing time?    Aside from a few flashy Aguidelo type juggle and flick moves, his game was terrible.  SO many missed opportunities.    I've never seen in him what it seems like everyone else does, but this was a bad, bad showing.

Opposite for me I thought he looked more composed than normal, especially defensively. Only play I thought his immaturity still came through was that awful lob shot he tried when he had two teammates open for a tap-in. Other than that I thought he moved the ball well through the midfield and was way more effective pressing than he usually is. Played a huge part in orchestrating the first goal too.

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

And, of course, the one time he should have went down and was actually getting fouled in the box, he stayed vertical and got the shot off.

This was infuriating from a refereeing standpoint but I respect Rivas staying on his feet. If I were a striker I'd take a goal over a red card any day. (And, to be honest, the ref should still have called that DOGSO and handed out a red card, even if Rivas didn't fall down.)

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Newcastle, Palermo

This was infuriating from a refereeing standpoint but I respect Rivas staying on his feet. If I were a striker I'd take a goal over a red card any day. (And, to be honest, the ref should still have called that DOGSO and handed out a red card, even if Rivas didn't fall down.)

I agree with you. I respect the grit there, as well. It was just odd considering how easily he was going down prior to that. 

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

I try and resist a rush to judgement in the first game of the season, especially when playing at home in cold weather against a weak opponent with a new coach.

The real positives are that it is clear the coaches have better material to work with in the 2nd tier of players than we knew. The team can only get better now that the coaches have seen players like Rivas, Duncan and Mines over 90 minutes in a game that matters. The tape and experience provides them with teachable moments. Preseason games never can recreate the in game situations that happen when the opposing team is going all out.

Also of tremendous value is the confidence that comes from that kind of win. It has to be a boost to a player like Rivas to be kept on the field when BWP came on rather than being replaced by him. The whole team gains strength from Jesse showing confidence in the back ups and not acting desperate.

It is also helpful for the current starters to see that they can't assume their role is sacrosanct if there is someone decent coming up behind them.

There will poor patches of play during the season, injuries to deal with and certainly much tougher opponents to face, so who knows how our season will go. But I do think it will be entertaining and that the potential is there to grow into something special again.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,517 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Anyone know how this actually work according to the rule book? I would think that the red should stand regardless of advantage played and the ultimate outcome of the play, right?

But I remember years back after Lehmann got sent off in the Arsenal/Barcelona CL final, the ref said afterwards that he thought a yellow would have been more appropriate given that Barcelona scored on the play.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Anyone know how this actually work according to the rule book? I would think that the red should stand regardless of advantage played and the ultimate outcome of the play, right?

But I remember years back after Lehmann got sent off in the Arsenal/Barcelona CL final, the ref said afterwards that he thought a yellow would have been more appropriate given that Barcelona scored on the play.

Nah, that would make no sense. The red is for denying a goal-scoring opportunity, so if an advantage were played by the ref, by definition the goal-scoring opportunity would not have been denied. Of course, if the foul was excessive on its own (reckless/endangering player safety etc), the defender would still be liable to get a red, but that would be for the foul itself, not for DOGSO. A yellow is, possible, just like yellows are often handed out in cases of advantage after the fact.

Also, a DOGSO offense now results in a yellow if a penalty is awarded (assuming the tackle was in an attempt to play the ball, not just a blatant take-out). FIFA changed that recently to avoid the triple punishment (red/penalty/next match suspension).

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Did Mine's goal officially happen at 17:17?   Assisted by 10 and 7?    I know his passing was crap, but it was so much fun watching him take on defenders.   Muyl should be concerned.

Absolutely FANTASTIC result, but am I alone in thinking Etienne took a dozen steps backwards in earning playing time?    Aside from a few flashy Aguidelo type juggle and flick moves, his game was terrible.  SO many missed opportunities.    I've never seen in him what it seems like everyone else does, but this was a bad, bad showing.

Opposite for me too. Thought Ettienne looked much better then previous years. Look synced in got secondary assist better defensively

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Nah, that would make no sense. The red is for denying a goal-scoring opportunity, so if an advantage were played by the ref, by definition the goal-scoring opportunity would not have been denied. Of course, if the foul was excessive on its own (reckless/endangering player safety etc), the defender would still be liable to get a red, but that would be for the foul itself, not for DOGSO. A yellow is, possible, just like yellows are often handed out in cases of advantage after the fact.

Also, a DOGSO offense now results in a yellow if a penalty is awarded (assuming the tackle was in an attempt to play the ball, not just a blatant take-out). FIFA changed that recently to avoid the triple punishment (red/penalty/next match suspension).

That makes sense. As a fan, it feels unfair - like the defender is able to "get away with one." But I'm sure I will be very vocal about how great the rules are the next time Long or Parker  drag someone down and don't get punished for it. :)

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

That makes sense. As a fan, it feels unfair - like the defender is able to "get away with one." But I'm sure I will be very vocal about how great the rules are the next time Long or Parker  drag someone down and don't get punished for it. :)

My description was a hypothetical based on the ref seeing a penalty and giving/not giving advantage. In that case it's either a goal-scoring opportunity or a penalty (yellow optional). That's "getting away with one" only in comparison with the now old rules where it would have been a penalty AND a red. :)

What we saw in the game was the ref deciding it wasn't a foul because the player valiantly/naively fought through contact rather than just fall as many would, so a completely different situation.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

https://www.youtube....h?v=Eeaco3Fp8ao

This video makes me feel great about this year. Robles is going to be a incredible captain. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users