Photo

Voluntary contributions starting in 2010?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:25 PM

In an effort to be brief, I will state that S8C is considering a contribution option for the 2010 season. The idea has come and gone over the years but issues with ticketing for the Eastern Conference Final at Toyota Park really got me thinking about this again.

That said...

Section 8 will never require "membership". It will always open to any and all that want to join in. It's imperative that we push the mission statement to every Fire fan and that the ISA continues to encourage individual supporter groups to form.

Proposal:

1) A voluntary $30 contribution gets you a gift (t-shirt?), with $10 going to the Chicago Fire Foundation.
2) A voluntary $50 contribution gets you a gift (t-shirt and scarf?) with $10 going to the Chicago Fire Foundation.
3) Anyone who buys a season ticket through us gets the smaller gift (t-shirt?) with $10 going to the Chicago Fire Foundation.

Other potential benefits for people in these three categories could be decided later.

Some of the reasoning behind the idea:

• I think it's important that we continue to push season ticket sales. It helps strengthen the ISA and the Club as a whole. Not everyone can buy a season ticket though. I know we have a number of people who live out of state that might want to buy in because they can't make all the games so other options would be available to them.
  • We're looking at new online store options that would allow us to do tiered pricing. Individual tickets for games could be priced differently for contributors and those just looking to get in the section. We could keep public pricing such that we're no longer the cheapest ticket and avoid groups buying tickets in the section while still passing on the group saving to the active base. That is, you still see the $15 ticket price while other see and pay the $20 face value.
  • I believe in a couple of years we'll be a half a million dollar organization. Not long after that we'll crack the million dollar a year mark. We have elections every year and they're going to have to become more formalized. There will be a day soon when ballots will have to be made ahead of time and out of staters will be able to become involved. Local elections will one day have to limited to the core in some way to keep them honest.
  • A structure like this will give an easier opportunity for those outside of Section 8 to get involved. Quite a few people appreciate what that section does and want to contribute. Structure like this will help some of them do so.
  • If we can get 1000 season ticket sales/contributions, we'll raise $10,000 for the Chicago Fire Foundation before the season even kicks off. How awesome would that be?
  • The Fire should have a club membership option, but they do not. This system could be the precursor to what the Fire should be doing.

Any and all discussion welcome.

Old threads on the topic:

2007: http://www.soccerpub...showtopic=22844

2009: http://www.soccerpub...showtopic=32697

#2 giaco

giaco

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire, Tottenham Hotspur F.C., Guiness, and a lot of other things.
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

I sill feel that this is worthwhile, and a simple 'gift' for contributors is good. For those who don't want a 'gift', the PBS model of tiered donations with the ISA purchasing the pavers for each donor level each year is a nice way of thanking the donors as well as making the donation to the Fire Foundation. It also provides a physical reminder to all those who pass those pavers in front of the building that those who choose to involve themselves are part of the foundation of the club.

#3 goldstone97

goldstone97

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Albion, Red Stars

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:59 PM

C'mon, someone besides those on the ISA board must have an opinion. Shoot it down, praise it, say "meh"....But a move this important needs feedback.

We are planning to hold a meeting to discuss as well, but it would be good to hear some of your initial reactions.
Section 8 Chicago Chair

WB05 :: Pitch Invasion

#4 FIRExNECK

FIRExNECK

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, West Ham

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:03 PM

I think its great.

.::ANTIFA CHICAGO::.
.::ULTRAS :: RED :: SIDE::.
.::They call me Jesse White in Canada::.

#5 tonyz

tonyz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Supports:Chicago

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:38 PM

I said it a few years ago but no one listen to me.

what ever price is set, you get a special scarf made for S8 members only who paid.

Membership also Includes discount on Season Away Tickets. Chicago Fire Luncheon discount on tickets
Make exclusive the 2 for 20 ticket deals like we had at the end of the season. "Public still face value"
And a discount on S8 merchandise.

#6 Es Brennt

Es Brennt

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:38 PM

I like it.
:cheers:
www.theredcardna.org

#7 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

Stay well clear of the membership thing. Aside that, it's

Posted Image

"...pri-tay, pri-tay, pri-tay, pri-tay good."

#8 Section 8 El Guapo

Section 8 El Guapo

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire...Beer....Women....Beer....Section 8....Beer....Women.....New England Sucks......Beer....Duck Fallas....Beer.....
  • Supports:Your mom at Polkatz

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:36 PM

when I first heard it I loved it.

When I read Ben's post I still love it.

The main thing is that we do not make it seem you have to buy into it in order to be a "true supporter"

No where does it give off that feel.

If you want to buy into for 30 bucks you get this gift with a little something something later.

If you want to buy into for 50 bucks you get two gifts with a little something something later.

The ISA will not flaunt the "Hey there are 100 people who are real supporters and the rest of you are shit" mantra.

If you want to do it great.

If you dont want to do it great, spend your money other Section 8 activities. ;)

It's just like PBS. Those who pledge and follow through get a cool gift and feel part of the network.

Those who don't still get awesome programming.

Its a win win for me.
WB05

UNA VIDA...UNA MUERTE...UN CLUB

#9 Eiki

Eiki

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:04 AM

I'm Crow T. Robot and I approve of this plan.

#10 SparkeyG

SparkeyG

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Supports:Fire, USMNT, the Ref

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:09 AM

Speaking as the grumpy guy that doesn't stand in the section anymore, I think this is a great idea.

#11 Merwin

Merwin

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

This sounds like a great idea to me. I like the PBS feel to it.

#12 Jason

Jason

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:55 AM

I like this idea. It would be a great way to support the Section from both within and without. We could probably get some of the long time fans to donate on a consistant basis and other season ticket holders to donate as well. I'm confident that as the Section grows into an even larger entity and as our message spreads through the casual fans that soon the Club and the Section will become almost indistinguishable from one another and be forced to cooperate as a single entity. To do that we will need funding. This will help keep a more consistant base of support flowing for the section as Section 8 supporters start to age out of the Section 8 and start buying seats throughout the rest of the stadium. Guapo and Ben have nailed it.

#13 kaszkiet

kaszkiet

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

I would like to see section 117/118 to be true supporters sections where everyone is loud. However I don't know how tiered pricing logistics would work. As unemployed college student I probably wouldn't be able to donate money, however I love to get loud in the section and support the team. Does that mean I no longer have access to the discounts because of lack of donation or do I still get the perks because I love the Fire?

#14 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

I do not believe the intent of any of this is to restrict ANYTHING involving Section 8, especially in stadium. If it does, I'll have serious problems with it.

That said my understanding is this is neither membership in name or philosophy. Almost nothing about the way things currently work will change, if you do not decide to donate. For those that do, there's extra stuff involved.

#15 FireChicago10

FireChicago10

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

I approve of this kind of package and would be interested in seeing a more in-depth discussion carried out to hammer out any details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users