2019 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I'm trying to decide what sort of impact this will have for NYCFC's fan base. The hype of their initial year wore off shockingly fast. I personally know 3 people who had season tickets for year one, gave them up for year two, and no longer even pay attention to the team. And despite winning MLS Cup last year they've remained a non-entity in the city's culture. Butts in the seats attendance looks better than ours but they're not exactly a powerhouse, seems like pretty middle of the road for the league.

So I'm sitting here thinking, who that hasn't already gotten on board will do so now because of the stadium? I can't help but wonder if it'll be just another year or two blip before they go back to about what they have now.

Yankee Stadium is atrocious for soccer viewing, a soccer-specific stadium would be a huge improvement, and that's even without accounting for the frequent switching of avenues they've had to do for other events and the associated fan disappointment. Taking the 7 all the way to Flushing is arguably a bit worse than the subway ride up (obviously depending on starting point), but this should be a large boost for NYC. Will they sell out 25k in perpetuity? Far from guaranteed, but they'll undoubtedly be better off than now.

Not an apples to apples comparison but even with the current attendance circumstances, RB is currently better off at RBA vs the Giants Stadium years. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

I'm watching our club slowly choking and dying due to our ownership while the cross town rivals get a cup and a NYC stadium on the 7 line.This is so fucking sad man.Fuck Red Bull. Turning us into Chivas.

The Chivas scenario (league performs a mercy killing and brings back the club a few years later with serious ownership that wants to win things) is quite likely the best case scenario at this point.

Yeah, this sucks.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

The Falcon

The Falcon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I wouldn't be so hasty to write off the club, RBA and hosting any international matches once/if their new stadium is built. L.A. has two good stadiums. Both host games. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

a NYC stadium on the 7 line

I really doubt the majority of our fanbase cares about this. Hell probably the majority of it wouldn't keep their tickets if our team had moved to queens. I know I wouldn't, that drive is horrendous and I'm not spending 4 hours on public transportation.

I might make it out for the first game we play at this place but after that I'll never go again unless it's a playoff, open cup or champions league game.

I wouldn't go out there for any meaningless US team friendlies either, the game would actually have to mean something.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro
The majority of our fanbase has stopped going to matches.

#RedBullOut

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I'm not spending 4 hours on public transportation.

NJTransit to NYPenn, LIRR 2 stops to Citi Field.
On Mets game days, LIRR trains run every 20 minutes and take 20 minutes.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Still takes 2 hours+ each way for me for where I'm at, it's quicker to drive if there's no traffic but that's never the case either.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

This article written by Michael Lewis goes way back in history to 1994 when MLS was being formed. It states that the originally planned 7 franchises included one for Long Island and a different one for New Jersey. Michael Lewis is a very well-known soccer writer for many years, so I have every reason to believe him.

https://www.frontrow...-venue-in-1994/

So what we have now with NYCFC (eventually) getting its own SSS is (sort of) the fulfillment of that plan.

I understand it was always supposedly in the cards

But Long Island is not NYC

The difference is between the Islanders and Devils or the Rangers and both teams.

And I still think things may have played out differently if ownership from 96 on wasnt some form of a dumpster fire

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

At least we're not a front for the United Arab Emirates.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

Transportation will be easier for the fans in Westchester as well as Grand Central Madison opens next month. Easy connections from Westchester to LI for the blue scum at Grand Central. One ticket as well.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
Chivas is definitely not *best* case scenario. Something like #savethecrew is better, and entirely possible.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Traveling to and from Queens everyday from the West Village, I see NYCFC gear here and there on the E/F/7. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Traveling to and from Queens everyday from the West Village, I see NYCFC gear here and there on the E/F/7. 

Yea it's hard, I used to see the random people wearing Red Bulls gear all over Queens. Since the team has been awful, I haven't seen anyone in RBNY gear

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

More often than not, I'll see national team gear (Mexico and South American nations) more than any kind of club gear. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Maxi Moralez is gone.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users