MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If they traded away Robles?

They highly value Meara, that much is obvious. Louro they also kept, so theoretically they see a future for him.

Robles 2017 Salary: 430K

Meara: 105K

That difference can get you a quality starter (of course, so does spending on DPs, but whatever). We're playing Moneyball here.

Robles is 33, which is young in goalkeeper years. But if they see Meara as the future, and last year tried to sell Dax when his value was theoretically at his peak... (Ironically, if they waited a year, they probably would have gotten more, since player prices shot up.)

Possible, right?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
Wouldn't shock me in the least. If they are convinced Meara is the guy and they can get a nice haul for Robles they won't hesitate to do so.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Not really, also not 100% sure i would feel about it. I feel he declined a bit this year which still makes him one of the top in the league. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I would be shocked.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Not really, also not 100% sure i would feel about it. I feel he declined a bit this year which still makes him one of the top in the league. 

I like Robles, not pushing him out the door but is he still one of the top in the league?  Not sure anymore.  Guzan, Melia, Blake and Frei are better than him for sure.  And then there are a handful of guys who may or may not be better than him (Steffen, Bono, Bendik) according to people who watch more MLS than me.

He might still be, but for the first time in a couple years I don't feel like I actually know.  

If they traded him I would get over it pretty quickly tbh, just because the Dax and Petke situations show that no one is safe here.  Anything is possible.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

They highly value Meara, that much is obvious. Louro they also kept, so theoretically they see a future for him.

That difference can get you a quality starter (of course, so does spending on DPs, but whatever). We're playing Moneyball here.

Robles is 33, which is young in goalkeeper years. But if they see Meara as the future, and last year tried to sell Dax when his value was theoretically at his peak... (Ironically, if they waited a year, they probably would have gotten more, since player prices shot up.)

Possible, right?

yes it would suprise me but now that you mention it sadly it would not surprise me (especially after Dax and Mike)

Robles is still quality (although made few uncharastic mistakes).  

Luis is also a stellar person and teammate.  

Its possible for all players and more so with playing moneyball - 50/50 on Sacha and 65 against 35 for Robles.  

ugh.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Possible, right?

After Dax, the only trade that would surprise me, assuming Marsch is still the coach, would be Felipe.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

the Dax and Petke situations show that no one is safe here.  Anything is possible.

Trading Luis would be no less shocking.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

It would depend what we got in return.     For the right deal, anyone is replaceable.  But of we just got rid of him to dump salary and make room for Meara, I would struggle to understand that.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
Trading dax set a precedent with this current regime. It would not surprise me at all to trade Luis. I like him but I agree that Meara is not a huge drop off. If we get something between dax money and dom Dwyer money, and actually use it, it wouldn't be such a bad thing

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Would shock me if we traded Robles. Just not happening.  At least this year anyway.  And that's not something I necessarily agree with either. I hate blowing a big cap number on a keeper.  I think keeper is similar to RB in the NFL where there's a lot of solid ones.  THe only time you get killed at the position is when you have a bad one.  Other than that, there's not a huge difference between one who's decent and one who's top 5. 

Marsch and company love him. He's a great leader and pushes what Marsch wants in the locker room.  Plus at 33 as a keeper, it's not the same as a holding mid who's 30 years old. 

And as for Felipe, I don't get those comments that he's somehow tied to Marsch.  Felipe is still on the team because he's not really worth getting rid of or moving on from.  I don't think there's any love affair.  He's just a solid player, NEVER gets hurt, is still young, and doesn't make a fortune.  If Felipe was 30 years old then his time would be limited just like every other player.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Would shock me if we traded Robles. Just not happening.  At least this year anyway.  And that's not something I necessarily agree with either. I hate blowing a big cap number on a keeper.  I think keeper is similar to RB in the NFL where there's a lot of solid ones.  THe only time you get killed at the position is when you have a bad one.  Other than that, there's not a huge difference between one who's decent and one who's top 5. 

Marsch and company love him. He's a great leader and pushes what Marsch wants in the locker room.  Plus at 33 as a keeper, it's not the same as a holding mid who's 30 years old. 

And as for Felipe, I don't get those comments that he's somehow tied to Marsch.  Felipe is still on the team because he's not really worth getting rid of or moving on from.  I don't think there's any love affair.  He's just a solid player, NEVER gets hurt, is still young, and doesn't make a fortune.  If Felipe was 30 years old then his time would be limited just like every other player.  

It's not a knock on Felipe, I'm just not sure Marsch knows how to fill out a lineup sheet without his name...

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Trading dax set a precedent with this current regime. It would not surprise me at all to trade Luis. I like him but I agree that Meara is not a huge drop off. If we get something between dax money and dom Dwyer money, and actually use it, it wouldn't be such a bad thing

Not sure who would trade ~500k or more of allocation money for a 33yo keeper. As good as Robles is, and keeping in mind that now is not a great time in terms of his peak value, I'd be amazed at a return like that. Doubt we get more than a 50-100k offer, so it's just about the salary savings.

If we do get a crazy offer of 400-500k, we should definitely take it.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

No. Plus Robles I think had an ok season that frankly was below his own standards. Having said that, he's a guy who seems to really rally the guys, and a good professional. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

If he has to be shipped out, team out west would be my pref. They'd be saving ~$300k if they did move him. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users