jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts
  • Supports:New York

I really think we digressed there.

Not having a go at you here, but I think you mean regressed.

As to Magee vs. Cila...the real question is how much Mo is planning to play either. If he gets who he wants in transfers, you have a feeling neither Magee nor Cila will be playing all that much, except as 75th minute subs.

As has always been the case with Metro, if we actually have to rely on these guys to lift titles...we're fooked anyway. It was the same case with Magee in his first years in the league, and it's still the case. I had hoped he would have turned into a player that you can't afford to sit down by now, but he's still a couple of years away from the level Eski was at in 04. It's also bothersome that he's moved positions around a bit without really ever finding one he's great at. I don't think you can be a tweener forever, and he has to either take some lessons in being a 2 way mid or be such a good scorer that you have to play him up top.

I like Magee and I'll agree he's shown more promise than Cila to date, but he still seems a bit too soft. Most of the bite in his game comes from yelling at the ref and acting like a 19 year old brat. Roy Keane's game has bite. Mike Magee's has nibble.

Though...the one thing I like about Cila is that you can't hate a guy who grew up downing White Castle on Jericho Turpike. Will his uniform number be 110 or 25?

Five towns....are you from the, Five Towns...?

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Not having a go at you here, but I think you mean regressed.

Long day.

I've made a lot of typos over the past day or two.

Anyway, my whole premise of us "regressing" is if this is a straight up maneuver (move in one player, ship the other one out). Clearly, that is flawed, as we would def. get value in return for Magee.

I just think Magee can flourish into a pretty good player. He has a nice touch on the ball, can play some quick balls, etc.

As for him having "bite" to his game. Maybe not bite, but rather swagger? Is that the word we are looking for? Anyway, there is a certain heady confidence to his game that I like. Clearly he took it overboard two years ago, when he wouldn't shut the fuck up. But it was better this past season, and I felt, before Mo took over, that Magee was actually playing very good soccer (especially after his horrendous start to the season). I was surprised Mo didn't use him much. I know he is a "forward", but Magee showed he could play in the midfild also; in fact I think he's been more effective as a midfielder than as a forward in his career. But that's me.

As for Cila? Clearly I've seen Magee more, and Cila had that one insane game against us where he scored two goals. However, it's his third team in three seasons...I mean come on. I know he played for Hankinson and Ellison, but I doubt he'd be a good "replacement".

I don't know. He's had moments, and I could very well be wrong.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts
  • Supports:New York
The other thing about MLS is the cash angle. Maybe they figured they could save money by switching Magee for Cila, and that they could trade Magee for a defender and improve it that way by taking Magee and a nothing pick for 2 players? Just guessing.

On GolTV, Ray Hudson said that the Metrostars have a lot to be excited about....so there's your kiss of death right there.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,000 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Magee is a versatile player. We can play him at 3 different positions so he is the 12th man.

I think Cila is brought in as the same role. We don't have much midfield depth/Wing depth. I think that's his primary role.

Mo is just trying to deepen the team. Remember last year there were games where we had 3 defenders 1 midfielder and Wells as our subs. Pathetic!

Mo is trying to deepen the team so we can actually have effective subs this season.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The other thing about MLS is the cash angle. Maybe they figured they could save money by switching Magee for Cila, and that they could trade Magee for a defender and improve it that way by taking Magee and a nothing pick for 2 players? Just guessing.

On GolTV, Ray Hudson said that the Metrostars have a lot to be excited about....so there's your kiss of death right there.

Magee is making very little money... around 25K. So i dont know how much money they will be saving by having Cila join the team. I think Magee will take over Youri spot when Youri retires. Magee is only 21 and has had his moments. He just needs more playing time at foward. I think we will see that happen. Who knows... if they get rid of Razov and Guevarra and just improve the Midfield and Defense. Then Magee could very well be our starting foward with Youri. To early to tell what they are going to do but its always fun to speculate.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,613 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Though...the one thing I like about Cila is that you can't hate a guy who grew up downing White Castle on Jericho Turpike. Will his uniform number be 110 or 25?

Five towns....are you from the, Five Towns...?

I'd laugh if he took number 25.

I always thought Five Towns was Southwestern Nassau - Lawrence, Inwood, Woodmere, Hewlett, etc... unless there is more than one area called Five Towns.

tkgunn

tkgunn

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Supports:Metros, USMNT

Magee is making very little money... around 25K. So i dont know how much money they will be saving by having Cila join the team. I think Magee will take over Youri spot when Youri retires. Magee is only 21 and has had his moments. He just needs more playing time at foward. I think we will see that happen. Who knows... if they get rid of Razov and Guevarra and just improve the Midfield and Defense. Then Magee could very well be our starting foward with Youri. To early to tell what they are going to do but its always fun to speculate.

I'm pretty sure Magee made 40-60k the last time a list of the salary's came out.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,036 posts
For a 4th round supplemental we could groom him to be the ball boy and it wouldn't hurt us. The question is, what does Mo see there?

LordGhoti

LordGhoti

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • Supports:USA, Metro, Celtic, Houston Dynamo

Magee is making very little money... around 25K. So i dont know how much money they will be saving by having Cila join the team.

Things may be different in 2006 but, in 2005 Magee made $42,500 compared to the $16,500 that Cila received. I think Magee only made in the mid-$20,000s in 2004 so he may be making in the $50,000s or $60,000s this year. My guess is that Cila's salary will not change (as, based on the pittance that he is making, he is still on a developmental contract) but, at most, he may be bumped up to league minimum this year.

In short, should we drop Magee (and use Cila as his replacement) there will be a savings of somewhere in the neighborhood of $30k to $50k against the salary cap.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,000 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I think it would be foolish to drop Magee. Is a good player that happens to be versatile. He can play multiple positions and he is a great player off the bench. We need some proven MLS players that can come off the bench. For the salary he is making he is fine. There is no need to drop him at this time.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Mooch

Mooch

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
I like this pick up in that we know what we are getting in terms of MLS capability, instead of the draft pick, which is a big unknown. Cila will be a starter....for the reserve team. I suspect Magee and Abbe will be above him in the pecking order.

To me there is no comparison of Magee to Cila. Magee is the better player. Goals/assists are better, but even if Cila had as many minutes as Magee, I don't think that would change. One thing to consider when looking at stats like goals is who they were scored against. For Cila, 3 of his 4 goals in 2004 were scored against the Metrostars (the leagues worst defense in 2004). In 2005, 2 of his 3 goals were scored against KC (missed the playoffs). Magee has shown to be dangerous against the better teams in the league, NE, LA, etc. If we consider age, then the fact that Magee is younger is definitely in his favor.

Looking at this, I couldn't understand how we'd even consider dropping Magee for Cila which probably means this move is all about depth and has nothing to do with Magee. Good pick up though, let's see how Mo grooms him.

LET'S GO METRO!!!!

InkedAG

InkedAG

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, Arsenal

i cant rememebr if he was any good in SLC or in COL. was he?

He sure as hell kicked our asses with goals, so yeah.

InkedAG

InkedAG

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

I think it would be foolish to drop Magee. Is a good player that happens to be versatile. He can play multiple positions and he is a great player off the bench. We need some proven MLS players that can come off the bench. For the salary he is making he is fine. There is no need to drop him at this time.

I just don't get it. Some of you guys are making it that Magee is one of our best players. THE GUY F**KIN SUCKS!! Sure he's not as bad as the other jokers in Metro History, but I have hated that guy since DAY ONE!!

How many shots did he take and not score? How many times was he simply ineffective whether as a forward or midefielder? How many articles were written by sports writers saying he slumps, he's ineffective, he disappers in games? Just because he scores a goal once in awhile, everyone thinks he's a great player?? C'Mon people!! And Amado has a winning attitude!

I look forward to the day he's off the team and I don't understand why it hasn't happened already.

rice!

rice!

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

I just don't get it. Some of you guys are making it that Magee is one of our best players. THE GUY F**KIN SUCKS!! Sure he's not as bad as the other jokers in Metro History, but I have hated that guy since DAY ONE!!

Calm.Down.

I don't think anyone is making Magee out to be one of the best players we have. I think the argument that is being presented is that, to this point of their careers, Magee has shown more potential than Cila, and it would be a mistake to think that Cila brings the same things to the table that Magee does. No one is making Magee out to be anything more than a versatile, yet still relatively cheap player, who may still develop to be pretty good. No one is even saying he should be a starter this season, let alone argue that he is one of our best players.

However, I think the speculation about shipping Magee out is pointless. It seems like the Metros had an opportunity to add some depth by picking up a player, who isn't totally worthless, and is also cheap, young, and has local ties, for... essentially nothing. Can't beat that deal.

InkedAG

InkedAG

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Calm.Down.

I don't think anyone is making Magee out to be one of the best players we have. I think the argument that is being presented is that, to this point of their careers, Magee has shown more potential than Cila, and it would be a mistake to think that Cila brings the same things to the table that Magee does. No one is making Magee out to be anything more than a versatile, yet still relatively cheap player, who may still develop to be pretty good. No one is even saying he should be a starter this season, let alone argue that he is one of our best players.

However, I think the speculation about shipping Magee out is pointless. It seems like the Metros had an opportunity to add some depth by picking up a player, who isn't totally worthless, and is also cheap, young, and has local ties, for... essentially nothing. Can't beat that deal.

Maybe I'm blind but as far as Magee is concerned, he has no potential. In fact, I think he's gotten worse over the years and not better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users