70 replies to this topic

Real Madrid

Real Madrid

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Supports:Metros and Real Madrid

Preserving the history is one thing. I just don't want to be a museum curator and walk around the dinosaur bones. The way MF is now, it preserves history while going forward, which makes it special. IMHO.

I'd like to my a personal appeal to Dan here, and I hope that many, if not all of you, will join me.

When you ponder what to do with MF, I hope that you realize that many of use appreciate what you have done in the past (thank you Dan from the bottom of my heart), and more importantly have come to rely on this site for news, player information, voting, etc. etc. over the years.

Please don't take it away from us. Please don't take it away from you.

I know I've been a supporter of the sale, but I hope you realize that I'm also agains dropping the name and history. But more importantly, I'm against losing this site.

I hope you will find it inside of you to continue your work here. I hope you will continue to cover the team like you have done in the past.

The name of the site is up to you to continue. Keep it as MF, or change it to a Red Bull centric URL, it's up to you, but please, please, please continue to cover the team like you have done in the past.

Dan, this is as much your team, or even more, than most of us. Please don't give up on it.

I suggest you cover the team as business as usual, but have a huge history seccion for our Metrostars past.

Thanks for listening, and I hope you will take it into consideration.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,036 posts
Take heart. I did a lot of research on name changes in professional baseball and football and it was a very common practice, especially when the leagues were young and going through a lot of expansion/contraction due to financial difficulties (sound familiar?).

Names changed for a variety of reasons, some of them humorous.

1) The Yankees got their name because sportswriters got tired of writing out Highlanders ans so called them the Yanks for short. It stuck and then was officially changed. (And the Highlanders started as the Baltimore Orioles and were moved to New York. This allowed the St. Louis Browns, who themselves started as the first Milwaukee Brewers team, to be renamed the Orioles when the team was moved to Baltimore).
2) The Cleveland Indians were in their 2nd incarnation as the Naps, named after their favorite player Nap Lajoie. When he left they had to come up with a new name.
3) When the Boston Red Sox won the first World series with Cy Young in 1903, they were actually playing as the Pilgrims. It was in 1907 that they changed to the Red Sox, borrowing the original name of their older cross town rivals, The Braves (who were literal change artists going from RedStockings to Beaneaters to Doves to Pilgrims before settling on the Braves name).
4) When George Halas was given full control of the Decatur Staleys in 1921, he was paid $5000 by the departing owner A.E. staley to keep the name for one more year before becoming the Chicago Bears.
5) The Washington Redskins started as the Boston Braves, but switched to the Redskins after five horrible seasons. Only later did they move to DC.
6) The St. Louis Cardinals began as the Brown Stockings and then the Perfectos (now there is a good name). When they changed their color scheme to red from brown in 1900, the nickname Cardinals from cardinal red stuck. Only later was the bird associated with the logo.

The list goes on. But the key story, which is why I say take heart, comes from the Washington Senators. The origianl Senators was a failed venture that folded in 1899. A new team (different franchise) was started in 1901 and used the name the Nationals so as not to be confused with the former team. The fans however kept calling them the Senators. It took 50 years but in 1956 the team name was finally officially changed to the Senators! (of course they were a terrible team by that point and soon were shipped off to Minnesota to become the Twins.)

Like any nickname, the official name means little in the end. Even if they keep the Metros name, they'll always be the Mutts in my mind until they start winning something. :o

V.O.R.

nyrmetros

nyrmetros

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,849 posts
  • Supports:Metros, USMNT, NUFC, Rangers
Also wanted to voice my support for MF to continue operations. MF is very influential amongst not only Metro, but many MLS fans, as well as MLS and MLSnet writers. Closing up shop would be letting Red Bull claim victory without a fight. If RB decides to eliminate its history, the world will know the truth thanx to MF.

dbm20th

dbm20th

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Celtic

The list goes on. But the key story, which is why I say take heart, comes from the Washington Senators. The origianl Senators was a failed venture that folded in 1899. A new team (different franchise) was started in 1901 and used the name the Nationals so as not to be confused with the former team. The fans however kept calling them the Senators. It took 50 years but in 1956 the team name was finally officially changed to the Senators! (of course they were a terrible team by that point and soon were shipped off to Minnesota to become the Twins.)

And they were so bad they needed to leave, yet again. Now the new team does not use the Senators name for many reason, not the least of which is the association the name has with being a loser.

I am obviuosly a supporter of this takeover, though I do hope they keep the history in tact because not keeping the history, no matter how bad it is, is really fucking bizarre and wrong. But what I do hope more than anything is that MF will somehow be convinced that this is still his team, and will cover them with the same zeal he has covered the current team with its hideous ownership and their insulting policies towards fans.

Shaydee

Shaydee

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Supports:Metros
go with your heart. if you feel an attachment to the new club continue to do what you do. if not i think you end it. maybe just leave the site as it is with no updates and keep the forum for old fans.

soccerwow

soccerwow

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Please, with all the changes that may happen with the team name, uniform, players, coaches and front office staff - I just couldn't take it if MF went away too.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,621 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I can't believe he put Jesse H up there. :o

As much as we have dissagreed on some points, without Jesse H., there would be no MF. You gotta give credit where credit is due.
MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

cmurt

cmurt

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Just to add to the chorus, thanks for all of your hard work running this web site. The game itself has always been the sport of the people. This site is a testament to the beautiful game.

Players change and we support our club. Management changes and we support our club. The name & colors can change but its still our club. Keep MF alive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About MetroFanatic

Established in the winter of 2001 in order to bring a more in-depth look at the MetroStars, MetroFanatic.com is a website made by fans, for the fans. Everything you see here is made out of the pure love for the best team in the USA.

MetroFanatic. Because you're not just a fan any more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:cheers:

PSUDude

PSUDude

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
I just know that the Pete M. Dude only did a little, but wish he could have done more...

Antman28

Antman28

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Supports:Metro, QPR
Dan-

Anything I write at this point would just be repetition but I just want to say that this site means a lot to me. I have never been a big poster on this site (or any other for that matter) but I have been a serious MetroStars fan since day one. I will find a way to put up with losing the Metrostars (in name anyway), but I don't think I can put up with losing Metrofanatic as well.

This will always be our team. They can try to say Red Bull is a new team but if this site exists, and we are still here, then the history remains.

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,420 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers
I think we should turn it into a tribute site, keep the boards open for discussion, and let it be.

If people want to continue following the NEW team let them make their own site. MF is about METRO not Redshit.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

LA CHUSMA

LA CHUSMA

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

I think we should turn it into a tribute site, keep the boards open for discussion, and let it be.

If people want to continue following the NEW team let them make their own site. MF is about METRO not Redshit.

WORD! preach on brother! metro forever, holmes!

cartography rules!

davisrocky

davisrocky

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Supports:metrostars
metrofanatic thank you for the great years. i loved this site. every time i got on the net this was the first i go to. metrostars.com sucks and now they are gone. i remembey when bardley of mlsnet.com sent the link on his page to this site and it was great . the articles and sarcatic remarks my it fun to read. so after losing ramos,howard, mathis, and nike at least we get this website.

nickmustgo

nickmustgo

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Supports:metro
thanks for the site. all of the time and effort you put into it was greatly appreciated.

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Just to go on record, I want to thank everyone who in some way shape or form helped with MF or old MetroFan.com over the years. Last names hidden to protect the innocent. I'm sorry if I forgot anyone. In no particular order:

Miguel N.
Sergio D.
Iain M.
Gabriel R.
Brad O.
Jesse H.
Charles S.
Michelle M.
Nick D.
Mike M.
Mike H.
JJ P.