#46 -stagnant-

-stagnant-

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • Supports:The guy from Illinois

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:42 PM

What about the 'Money Shot' LD poster from teh Rose Bowl? What was the insinuation there?

Certainly Chivas Girls blow-up dolls could be viewed as sexist couldn't they?
'There's sublime pleasure in displeasure'

#47 Chalky

Chalky

Dir. of Football Operations

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:48 PM

Glad I have popcorn!

#48 TommyMack

TommyMack

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:04 PM

What about the 'Money Shot' LD poster from teh Rose Bowl? What was the insinuation there?

Certainly Chivas Girls blow-up dolls could be viewed as sexist couldn't they?

Please reread my last two posts and use common sense. That's all I'm asking. I'm sorry that I came off originally as "giving an order to LARS" because that's the last thing I want to do OR have happen to LARS.

As crazy as this has been, at least people are talking, and as I mentioned before, that's a healthy thing because NOW it's in your heads. If anyone wants to continue with any chant, including one where you use racist and/or bigoted terms, then GO AHEAD.

HOWEVER I'm hoping others start another song/chant to drown you out via a vocal democratic demonstration.

TM

PS: Stagnant, I forgot you still lived near. And even though you and I disagree on some things (like ATTENDING GAMES!) ;-), I'll always have your back, brother, as I hope ANYONE in LARS would for anyone else in LARS.

#49 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

I just wrote a big long thing but screw that.

Gimme like 15 minutes and I will have the best solution to this crisis ever.

Stay tuned.

Okay, my response to it all in pictorial form:

Posted Image

#50 -stagnant-

-stagnant-

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • Supports:The guy from Illinois

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:10 PM

Thanks.

I'm just presenting a counter argument...and being a dick, that's what I do.
'There's sublime pleasure in displeasure'

#51 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

"Hey Buddle, you're so black, you're so black the way you attack, hey Buddle!"
"Hey Feilhaber, you're such a jew, you're such a jew with what you do, hey Benny!"
"Arab soccer players are the bomb! Are the Bomb! Are the Bomb!"

Please tell me you see why these are wrong.

tm

how long have you wanted to post those! hahaha

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#52 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:25 PM

"Hey Buddle, you're so black, you're so black the way you attack, hey Buddle!"

For the record, I fully support this chant after he scores.

It's a strawman argument to clump the Sacha chant with the worst form of racism, and then rail against racism, because that has nothing to do with this chant (or the steers & queers one that I've heard everybody in this discussion yell).

Don't make this a moral discussion about what is or is not "bigoted" because that is not only unproductive, it is *counterproductive* because we all will never agree. It's like trying to debate what's "funny". Good luck.

It's enough to know that it really bums some of my LARS brothers and sisters out, enough said. It just becomes a matter of principle the more somebody tries to convince me it's like the really racist shit I don't want to even repost.

I think the Olympics / lost the gold thing is more effective than this anyways, even if we were all 100% about the gay chant I'd be trying to convince people to call him out on the gold medal failure.

#53 Steve!

Steve!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Everton

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:35 PM

'Nuff said

#54 GUNSLINGER

GUNSLINGER

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy. Club America. Inter

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:38 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:59 PM

The ironic thing is, I don't think I've ever participated in the chant in question. I really don't care for it much.

I'm just not a fan of:
WE ARE ENDING ANY CHANTS ABOUT BEING GAY.

Yes, sir.

Posted Image

See: Josh's paragraph about how imposing your own morality on others works out.

#56 ESCO

ESCO

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Supports:LAG | LFC

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:36 AM

Hilary Duff says Knock It Off!!!

#57 CALEXICO

CALEXICO

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Interests:Soccer. Fencing. Music. Film. Communication Theory.
  • Supports:LOS ANGELES GALAXY

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:43 AM

I hear both sides of this issue clearly.

I am against the "UR SO GAY CHANTS" for many a reason, some listed earlier in the thread.

If we are against racism (and we really are) then why not homophobia. If you aren't using the word "gay" as a hurtful term, then please explain why this is a useful chant. If you are going to pull out the old "Well, cuz if HE'S upset by it HE'S the homophobic one" chestnut, save it. It's the most intellectually vacuous argument around.

The other reason I'm against them is because they are [drumroll] really lame. They aren't funny, they aren't rhythmic or catchy. They're just another in the long list of LARS chants that 20 people up front think up, yell for thirty seconds, and then let die. They do nothing for our team, or for LARS at large.

In other words, to use Seinfeld (which I don't do very often) I'm not offended as a Jew, I'm offended as a comedian.

Finally, just wrapping up from what I've seen on these boards, if you're responding with "dude, who made you boss?" - get over yourself. If you think Tommy's opinion on chants is somehow irrelevant, you haven't been coming to enough games. I don't always agree with the man, but he has given up watching games to lead us in song, and he deserves to be heard - even if its just as a first among equals. It doesn't mean he can shut a chant down wholesale, but if he has serious problems with a chant crossing the line, then he at least should be given a listen.

So all that said, I give you . . .

A MODEST PROPOSAL
by Calexico

I suggest we fuse two of our chants. People have brought up the TIJUANA WHORE chant in this thread. It's not PG, but as it strays into the realm of farce, I'm ok with it. However it presents us with an opportunity.

I'm too tired to deal with the cadence or rhythm, but I suggest replacing "Tijuana Whore" with "Sascha Klestjan."

Here's my reasoning - "Going Down" doesn't indicate any sort of gender bias. He might be going down on a chick, he might be going down on a dude. Even if he went down on a dude, it might be because he needs the money, or because he was really drunk and thought he might do some experimenting.

It does, however, indicate an predilection for subservience.

Also, we then remove actual prostitutes from the equation, which is only fair since they work a HELL of a lot harder than Klestjan did in the Confed Cup.

There, that's two years of post-grad rhetorical training put to good use.

#58 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:59 AM

If the Sacha gay chant is out, then clearly we shouldn't be doing steers and queers.

Also, some people say it is wrong to do the a rope, a tree chant if the ref is black.

The problem is that you (general you, not a specific person) have assigned the meaning of each chant. You are saying that the gay chants insinuate the players are gay and it is a bad thing. By telling me the ref chant is shouldn't be done for black referees, you are saying it is a racist chant.

However, this is the same thing that happened with the 'Taco Bell' chant. People who heard it (Galaxians and ACBers) assumed that you are making a statement on their ethnicity and therefore is a racist chant.

The point to saying anything to Sacha is to get under his skin and disrupt his game. Does the gay chant work to disrupt his game? I've not seen any evidence that it does. When he saw the original "big picture" he did a double take, and I'm sure he probably thought "those fuckers", which is great. Mission accomplished by LARS.

The point of the referee chant is to let the everyone know we don't agree with the call (or non-call) the ref made. That's it. It's not about lynchings (which are funny - okay not really, but they could be).

Dirtyboy is right - don't give words such power.

Oh, one other thing, censorship is wrong.

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Twitter: BigTony_42

#59 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:06 AM

I give up, I keep trying to tell you guys that if you just say, "Hey, some fellow LARS brothers and sisters are hurt and offended by it, let's respect them (even if we don't agree with them) and give Sacha shit for killing the Olympics, which really will fuck his head up worse anyways" then this would be like a 6 post thread with little to no bickering. You would have the moral high ground and everything. Nobody wants to make our fellow LARS feel like shit, that really is a no brainer.

But instead you shift the focus into some Hillary Duff PSA (props Esco) and it looks more like you want to drill your morality into everybody else's brains, and then act shocked why in the world there is any backlash. The more you guys lecture, the harder you make it for yourself. Nobody cares why you think it's a bad chant, they simply do not agree, and that isn't going to change. Can't you see the circular arguments already? The more tolerant you think you are, the less tolerant of anybody else you sound. So, stay up there on the high tower and see how many people you browbeat into believing the same thing you do. Good luck with that.

If you make it about converting the evil homophobes of the world, you will go nowhere and just rile people up (example A: this thread). If you are genuinely interested in just stopping the chant, all you gotta do is let people think what they want about it, don't try to convert or convince anyone to your way of thinking, and appeal to their sympathetic side in the name of being sensitive to how their friends around them feel, and let it be.

The more I read this shit the more it sounds like the chant is just an excuse to lecture people... and usually I'm the one lecturing, I can see how irritating it is on the other end of it.

#60 romero03

romero03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts
  • Supports:USMNT

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:56 AM

So we're not a supporters group, but a drinkIng club...

Why fill up the seats in 138 or 137 then? How bout everyone just hang out in the buena vista social club and just drink? No chants no cheers.

We shouldn't even go to games. Might as well just stay at ocp and have a 50ozer!

Everything in Lars is offensive to someone.

Let's join ACB...
Twitter

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders, Galaxy, LA Kings, ASU, Notre Dame(football)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users