Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Erm, that's precisely the point. Rza was here in preseason and was playing in competitive games in February. He didn't become an automatic starter until June/July (admittedly, the injury didn't help). Ivan does not have 6 months ahead of him before the playoffs, so he needs to show something quickly. I'm not writing him off, just agreeing that midseason signing history isn't on his side (someone pointed out that Henry and BWP didn't contribute immediately upon arriving in the summer).

Also, I am strictly talking about contribution in our quest for MLS Cup this season, not about overall ability or future performances in 2019 and beyond.

EXACTLY. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Erm, that's precisely the point. Rza was here in preseason and was playing in competitive games in February. He didn't become an automatic starter until June/July (admittedly, the injury didn't help). Ivan does not have 6 months ahead of him before the playoffs, so he needs to show something quickly. I'm not writing him off, just agreeing that midseason signing history isn't on his side (someone pointed out that Henry and BWP didn't contribute immediately upon arriving in the summer).

Also, I am strictly talking about contribution in our quest for MLS Cup this season, not about overall ability or future performances in 2019 and beyond.

Why does he need to "show something quickly"? Firstly, it's not as if he's taken away meaningful minutes from someone who has proven to contribute. Secondly, there is a ton of time left until the playoffs begin. It's ridiculously to watch him play 15 minutes as a sub and conclude that he therefore can't possibly become a useful option off the bench three months from now.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Why does he need to "show something quickly"? Firstly, it's not as if he's taken away meaningful minutes from someone who has proven to contribute. Secondly, there is a ton of time left until the playoffs begin. It's ridiculously to watch him play 15 minutes as a sub and conclude that he therefore can't possibly become a useful option off the bench three months from now.

That's great because I didn't do that. I did say ne needs to show something soon/quickly, but haven't made any conclusions, merely pointed out that given his recent signing, he doesn't have a lot of time to nail down a spot (unlike Rza). I also said he should show something over the next month (after that we have exactly 4 MLS games remaining, the first of which is a six pointer vs Atlanta, not exactly an experimenting ground).

3 months from now is the tail end of the playoffs. We've seen the desperation move of using Veron in a meaningful role for the first time in the playoffs quite recently. It doesn't work well.

Re the beginning of your comment - if anything, I'd be advocating for him to get some starting minutes immediately so he can sink or swim in the short run and show Armas whether he can be immediately impactful, or whether he's more of a long term signing. You are right that 10-20 minutes aren't indicative of full match performances and judging a player on that is unfair.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts
I think he starts vs Houston to get fitness and integration and info to work with

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts

also, to Ivo's point, think back to Royer's acquisition. most of us did not know much about him at all outside of checking his wiki page finding out he was a Europa Lg/Champs Lg Qualifying Rd level guy. he showed something early-ish on, iirc, beginning with DC away in '16. and when we played away at TFC, he looked like a baller, given how the squad was constituted at the time.

and i can assume that's the kind of player Koko wanted in the July transfer window.

that's how i interpret Ivo's post about showing something, and my endorsing it. if anything, ivan should've got a look with RB2, like Murillo did when he 1st got here. or just like Abang did last Tuesday in that confounding RB2 match that ended in a draw. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Is he good? I don't think he is good.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
Has shown zero reason that he should have been signed. It takes Euro players about 6 months to adjust, but during that time you should see something promising. Havent seen anything out of this guy. Scary.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

I don't think he is good. I don't think Etienne is good either, nor do I think Muyl is good.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
Problem is that Ivan is on a larger salary than Muyl or Etienne. Also Ivan uses an international slot (Muyl doesn't).

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Has shown zero reason that he should have been signed. It takes Euro players about 6 months to adjust, but during that time you should see something promising. Havent seen anything out of this guy. Scary.

only notable thing he has done this year was score a good goal for the Baby Bulls during the international break.  at this point i am not even sure he will contribute more to first team next year than ben mines.  hope i'm wrong and he finds a way to impact team positively during playoffs

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts

wingers next yr:

Royer Valot

Etienne Muyl

Ivan Mines

i think Ivan makes the same as Valot Etienne and Muyl combined. I'd prefer those 3 over him atm. 

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Does anyone have stats as to what these mid-season signings have contributed throughout history, in the seasons they were signed?

I'm talking like the SWPs, Saer Senes, Andre Akpans, Dane Richards, etc. It can't be that many goals or assists. Ivan is joining this group.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'm not giving up on him yet, he clearly has skill and its never easy to join a team mid-season. He still looks lost out there any time he comes on. I think it hurt him being in limbo between RB2 and the first team, he probably would have been better off just playing full time with RB2 and learning how we play.

But with his salary, he's on a short leash next year. $240k is starter money and he looks like he's still got a ways to go to clearly winning that spot. This is a pretty rare gamble under a Red Bull org that has been as risk-averse as possible with the cap the last few years.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Does anyone have stats as to what these mid-season signings have contributed throughout history, in the seasons they were signed?

I'm talking like the SWPs, Saer Senes, Andre Akpans, Dane Richards, etc. It can't be that many goals or assists. Ivan is joining this group.

You don't even have to look that far down the list; Henry got just 2 goals that first half season.    Cahill had just 1.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

He's a very average MLS player.  Still would like to wait and see next season.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users