24 replies to this topic

#16 zombie.h4x

zombie.h4x

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:06 AM

The real loss here, fellas, is Brandon McDonald.

Every time I think of his waive, I think of his strike from halfway across the field into goal. (don't mind the slight embellishment in distance)
MFrandolf and Bmac will be missed,
yet, somehow I think that for all the reasonable decisions that were made in waives/"retirements" since last season, the G's were due to fuck it up somehow

#17 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:51 AM

The real loss here, fellas, is Brandon McDonald.

I think BMac was a real keeper, though I never met him personally.
You should make a thread for him.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#18 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:00 AM

I did meet him once. He thought we (the Galaxy) were run by idiots...turned out he was right
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#19 The Sign Guy

The Sign Guy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy Arsenal

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:37 AM

I sent Arena an email earlier this week asking why he cut Bmac and basically said they were looking to use him as a DMid as opposed to a CAM and just couldnt hold it at DM. He even pointed out how Brandon's offense just wasnt enough to keep him on the team considering his passing rate was almost below 50 percent. And that he didnt have a single tackle the last game of the season in that role.

#20 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

I did meet him once. He thought we (the Galaxy) were run by idiots...turned out he was right

That could affect one's attitude in the locker room and on the pitch.

I sent Arena an email earlier this week asking why he cut Bmac and basically said they were looking to use him as a DMid as opposed to a CAM and just couldnt hold it at DM. He even pointed out how Brandon's offense just wasnt enough to keep him on the team considering his passing rate was almost below 50 percent. And that he didnt have a single tackle the last game of the season in that role.

Seems far from idiotic and reflects Bruce's affinity for system over individuality. I would expect that Gullit saw personality that he wanted to see expressed and Bruce wants to see results that are measured by tackles, space covered, connected passes, based upon the specific role in the system, etc. Personally I like Gullit, Zambrano kind of soccer more than Arena soccer, but I think you need to be able to keep acquiring and selling personalities until you get the kind of team you want. That is not a luxury an MLS team can afford. It works better to have a system that consistently connects passes, wins balls, etc. If you have someone like a DeRo, Echeverry, Schelloto, etc. that can express himself within the system then you have it. If you don't you just play your system better than the opponent.

Zambrano was fortunate to have a really expressive group of players that could also cover all the functions of the team. When those guys really had it going it was wonderful to watch and really difficult for the opponent to deal with. Cien had lots of options to exploit. We saw it a bit in C-Bus last year. I don't think we see it that much in MLS. I think you need a large roster of players to create teams with that kind of personality consistently, and once a player goes down, you have to have someone who can bring their own expressive presence into the side without taking away from the other personalities.

On the whole the Galaxy last year had a pretty expressive and exciting team offensively. If they had better defensive qualities (alluded to by Arena in his email) they would have been unbeatable. Arena has no clue how to use an expressive player like B-Mac in the defensive middle. Pirlo could not play in the back part of the midfield for Arena. There is simply no role for him in the system, and Bruce and other American coaches don't have the ability to change the system philosophy to better make use of the players, especially in midfield roles.

Sometimes it isn't a question of system, but tactics. Players weaknesses can be covered and strengths maximized by good team tactics. These must change game to game, which puts a great deal of tactical demands on the players and the manager. In MLS it is is easier, and perhaps safer, to simply play a system that no one in the league can consistently beat, and no one in the league can afford the risk of significant tactical adjustments game to game.

#21 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

I think Zero's comments and the reply Ali posted suggest that our boy may have done himself much more of an injustice than that which we believe was done unto him.

If we are to be fair here, I can see what Bruce meant. One of the things I most appreciated about Brandon McDonald was that he seemed to have good field vision and field positioning. It's entirely possible though, that this vision and positioning didn't translate into good tackles or good passes during the pre-season, both of which he will need in the long run to fulfill that potential which I see in him.

I'm still not sold on the move, but Arena's explanation is satisfactory.

#22 CALEXICO

CALEXICO

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Interests:Soccer. Fencing. Music. Film. Communication Theory.
  • Supports:LOS ANGELES GALAXY

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:55 AM

The last three posts are pictures of thoughtful analysis and clear-minded reason.

But I remind you that Tony Sanneh may start for us this year. Kinda pulls the rug out of everything, doesn't it?

#23 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:04 AM

But I remind you that Tony Sanneh may start for us this year. Kinda pulls the rug out of everything, doesn't it?

Yeah, he was captain in the recent games, which suggests he is indeed fitting into Il Bruce's plans. I guess he's filling the slow, aged void left by Vanney's retirement.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#24 Chalky

Chalky

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:06 AM

Old and slow is what we do best!

How dare you question Il Bruce.

#25 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:09 AM

The last three posts are pictures of thoughtful analysis and clear-minded reason.

Yeah, he was captain in the recent games, which suggests he is indeed fitting into Il Bruce's plans. I guess he's filling the slow, aged void left by Vanney's retirement.

Old and slow is what we do best!

How dare you question Il Bruce.

Don't worry. I feel an injury coming on! But there is....of course....the good old.....REBOOT! :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users