• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

right back is still an eyesore. We can't go into next season again with 3 guys that have never been difference makers in any game fighting for a spot. I know a lot of people like Duval around here but come playoff time we're going to need someone that  defends better and has a little more skill overlapping the flanks. 

teams not defending as hard during MLS' long regular season makes some players appear better than they are.  

5 year plan

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
right back is still an eyesore. We can't go into next season again with 3 guys that have never been difference makers in any game fighting for a spot. I know a lot of people like Duval around here but come playoff time we're going to need someone that  defends better and has a little more skill overlapping the flanks. 

teams not defending as hard during MLS' long regular season makes some players appear better than they are.  

Get a DP-quality winger and drop Muyl to right back.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Get a DP-quality winger and drop Muyl to right back.

you want a guy that played forward and rm to play rb? This same guy never played rb.

Out of curiosity, is your name klinsmann?

:-)

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

obviously not, but you just described Tony Sanneh's long career path. Striker with Minny, RM with DC, then eventually outside back for Hertha, iirc. 

same career path, sorta, for Zizzo. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
I think we have to go out and get a right back even if we stick with Duvall.

Noah Powder can play the role but he prefers the left, as does Kevin O'Toole.

David Najem has shown some flashes in the USL but MLS caliber right back is a bit of a stretch.

I don't love the concept of Duvall and Lade as our primary options and I hope Zizzo is gone come 2017.

Tyler Adams may be converted but still a couple years away.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

you want a guy that played forward and rm to play rb? This same guy never played rb.

Out of curiosity, is your name klinsmann?

:-)

He played forward at the collegiate level where he could overpower lesser athletes with his workrate.  He's not technical enough to be an offensively proficient forward or winger in MLS.

It's not uncommon for players to drop from forwards or midfielders to defenders when they step up to a new level of play.  Yedlin was a #10 until someone in the Sounders organization realized he'd never play there in MLS and moved him to fullback.  It's not like Muyl is 30 and has played professionally up top his whole career.  Although, Liverpool just dropped James Milner to fullback.  If they can make the move with a veteran England National player, I think we could transition Muyl.

Is there something about his game that you think wouldn't translate to RB?

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Muyl is just a pup... Don't screw with him and destroy his development.  May as well trade him.  Because he does have value.  Especially in this league with his style. The kid already produced some last year and he was 20 years old for the bulk of the season.

Lade is plenty good to have at right back anyway.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Is there something about his game that you think wouldn't translate to RB?

He definitely seems to have all the tools to play fullback, but ideally he'd actually have the chance to prove his case before we try to move him there as the full time starter in 2017. Best case scenario is to pay a guy who has experience there but its a tough position to find.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Muyl is just a pup... Don't screw with him and destroy his development.  May as well trade him.  Because he does have value.  Especially in this league with his style. The kid already produced some last year and he was 20 years old for the bulk of the season.

Lade is plenty good to have at right back anyway.

That sort of move only works if there is 100% commitment from the start of pre-season.  With Duvall here and Royer unproven, I don't see that level of commitment being made.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

That sort of move only works if there is 100% commitment from the start of pre-season.  With Duvall here and Royer unproven, I don't see that level of commitment being made.   

And it's not worth it either.   The kid has played forward or wing his entire life and was pretty successful at it last year for us despite only being 20/21.  More time to grow in the system and with the team (not to mention physically) and you can only think that his production will go up.   Switch his position and you likely destroy his development.   It's just dumb and it's really not worth it.

You want a right back, get one.   But in my opinion Lade is more than fine on the right side.  Lawrence stays on the left which he's already pretty good for the most part.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

I think we have to go out and get a right back even if we stick with Duvall.

Noah Powder can play the role but he prefers the left, as does Kevin O'Toole.

David Najem has shown some flashes in the USL but MLS caliber right back is a bit of a stretch.

I don't love the concept of Duvall and Lade as our primary options and I hope Zizzo is gone come 2017.

Tyler Adams may be converted but still a couple years away.

Are we going to sign Powder, or O Toole or Chris Gloster?

I am ok with the RB options of Lade and Duvall and have Powder challenge for starting position on both sides. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

In this league, where the salary cap makes it difficult to justify signing an outside back with a high salary, it may be worth it to switch Muyl to that position while he's cheap and under control, provided that we have a more offensively proficient option at RM.

As pointed out above, there are plenty of players who have been moved from wide MF to wide back, including MFs more offensively minded than Muyl.

'Destroy his development' is a massive overstatement.  What exactly is he being developed into? Do we see a future for him as an SWP type winger, or a number 10 or a striker?  Playing at RB would hone the skills he's shown he's most proficient at.

Of course, that depends on whether we have a RM option that's more technically sound and have decided that what we have at RB is not the answer.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

And it's not worth it either.   The kid has played forward or wing his entire life and was pretty successful at it last year for us despite only being 20/21.  More time to grow in the system and with the team (not to mention physically) and you can only think that his production will go up.   Switch his position and you likely destroy his development.   It's just dumb and it's really not worth it.

You want a right back, get one.   But in my opinion Lade is more than fine on the right side.  Lawrence stays on the left which he's already pretty good for the most part.

His whole life as a forward or wing amounts to a single season as a professional.  AND they only thing you can say he was actually good at this season as a winger was defense.  Combined with his workrate, how does that not translate into becoming a high-level MLS fullback?  He's a defensively sound, right-sided player with an incredibly high workrate.

I'm saying Muyl as a right back to keep him on the pitch.  I would hope that the plan isn't to go into the season with him as a starting winger.

They could start the season with Duvall or Lade at right back and Muyl could work on being a right back with RB2 and move up to the first team when he's ready.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

His whole life as a forward or wing amounts to a single season as a professional.  AND they only thing you can say he was actually good at this season as a winger was defense.  Combined with his workrate, how does that not translate into becoming a high-level MLS fullback?  He's a defensively sound, right-sided player with an incredibly high workrate.

I'm saying Muyl as a right back to keep him on the pitch.  I would hope that the plan isn't to go into the season with him as a starting winger.

They could start the season with Duvall or Lade at right back and Muyl could work on being a right back with RB2 and move up to the first team when he's ready.

He played in college and in the academy.  That all counts towards experience.

Defensively sound as a midfielder doesn't equate to a good defensive fullback.  He can make plays up front by chasing but as a fullback, there is a huge ability needed to be able to read plays and anticipate offensive movements.  It's a different skill set.  It's not impossible, it's just not simple.  

And again....  Lade has proven to be a good fullback.  Hell, even Duvall was pretty good when he came back.  Just roll with Lade and live with that.  Muyl's numbers will improve as kids often get better.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

He played in college and in the academy.  That all counts towards experience.

How many successful college and academy players have failed to find the same form in MLS?  If all you need is offensively from your winger is effort, than Muyl is your guy.  I'd rather see Etienne get any minutes Muyl would get at wing and see Muyl at right back.  Give him games at RB2 to learn the nuances, but I think he'd be a great right back eventually.  He went G'town so he's probably pretty bright, I think he'd get there sooner rather than later.

He'll probably never sniff the USMNT as a winger, but, considering how shallow the pool is at that position, I think he'd actually have a shot as a right back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users