96 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I'm never one to defend many front office decisions, but the kid is young and adjusting to a much higher level of play.  That's not his fault.  He himself may be someone for the future.

But for today we've got some issues in the back that need to be addressed sooner rather than later.  4-2-3-1 helps, but we're one injury away from a pretty scary situation in defense.

Which was the reason, I believe, for going for Murillo. Major disappointment if RedBull went with a long-term project instead of addressing immediate needs. They should double and triple checked his scouting before committing to a long-term project. That is what our Academy is for. We should not waste resources on grooming foreign talent.

TBF, in that position, we have Lade and Zizzo.    Lade has developed into a quality fullback.  Say what you want about Sal, he is a legit MLS-caliber backup RB, and Bilyeau is all you could realistically expect for third string.    If this kid develops into a second string/potential starter by the second half of the year (big if), then we're good.  If he turns out to be a longer term project than that, they missed the mark.  Same situation with Ndam.  We learned last year that three legit CB's is likely not enough, but by the July window we should know better what we have and what we need.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JerseyFan

JerseyFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA

He's on loan, so he isn't necessarily a long-term project. I hadn't seen anything regarding a buy option once the loan is up though.

AS LONG AS I'M BREATHING

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

He's on loan, so he isn't necessarily a long-term project. I hadn't seen anything regarding a buy option once the loan is up though.

it's generally MLS policy that all loans have an option to buy.  I would be stunned if we did not have that option

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

it's generally MLS policy that all loans have an option to buy.  I would be stunned if we did not have that option

I'm not sure that's the case anymore.  It definitely used to be though.

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls
So glad after 20 years, the MLS does not release loan specifics on deals. Nobody is ever sure about anything it seems.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I'm not sure that's the case anymore.  It definitely used to be though.

Yep, not true anymore.

http://www.metro.us/...---03ivUxVflpYs

"As a part of MLS rules, each team is allowed two players on loan with no option to buy, meaning that it is a loan and only a loan and that the player will return back to the original club at the end of the deal. MLS doesn’t want to become a league where players go on loan from bigger teams around the world, essentially becoming a feeder league. So they want as many loan options as possible to become permanent. But they allow for two loans each year, per team, that are loans in the purest meaning of the word."

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

odsum25

odsum25

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Even so, it would be surprising if the team didn't have an option on a young player from a smaller league, like Murillo.

odsum25

odsum25

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
Murillo looked pretty good last night against the US. He did get beat by Rowe, resulting in Dwyer's goal, but I'll chalk that up more to an excellent play by Rowe than a poor play by Murillo.

Felt bad for McCarty...he really didn't play well last night.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
I like what I saw from Murillo too, can't wait to have him back with Metro
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

https://twitter.com/...395415785000960

#RBNY have elected to purchase contract of Panamanian Michael Murillo - integral in back 3 or at wingback @MLSTransfers #MLSCupPlayoffs

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Excellent decision. This kid's got the makings of an elite MLS defender at either wingback or centerback. I could even see him making a push at winger a la Fabian Johnson. Only shame is how much time he misses with the Panamanian team.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Excellent decision. This kid's got the makings of an elite MLS defender at either wingback or centerback. I could even see him making a push at winger a la Fabian Johnson. Only shame is how much time he misses with the Panamanian team.

It's not like Panama is going to the Worl... FUCK!

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Good decision, he fits our system and is young enough to have plenty of upside, though I still think he's sloppy/error prone and can cause us goals near-term, from bad positioning, too-aggressive 1 v 1 defending,  or bad passing.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Good decision,he fits our system and is young enough to have plenty of upside, though I still think he's sloppy/error prone and can cause us goals near-term, from bad positioning, too-aggressive 1 v 1 defending,  or bad passing.  

Upside indeed - he had an excellent game yesterday, including showing off some recovery speed after his own mistakes allowed his man to get by with the ball.

His world cup experience should end up being a plus - assuming MLS has a built-in break for the early rounds.   I don't see Panama making much hay in the knockout stage.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

I bet we trade Felipe this off-season and let Adams slot into that CDM position, and let Murillo play the wingback position. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users