35 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal
Whoa I did not expect this at all. Really unfortunate. Have basically lost our two best guys in him and more without them signing with first team

https://twitter.com/...CAlllLdaEa7TlDA

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
This is a bummer, but not overly surprising. Candidly, I think a lot of the talented younger players are cognizant of the fact that Next Pro (NYRBII in particular) is very poorly run with little attention and limited in terms of growth for players of his caliber.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

This is a bummer, but not overly surprising. Candidly, I think a lot of the talented younger players are cognizant of the fact that Next Pro (NYRBII in particular) is very poorly run will little attention and limited in terms of growth for players of his caliber.

Bogert is making it sound more like it will be easier to go Europe on a free than having a homegrown contract. RBNY2 is still graduating pros like Tolkin & Edelman. But RBNY2 is geared towards creating players for the first team or to sell on to Europe. If a player wants freedom to go anywhere in Europe at 18 a short term contract with an independent USL team makes sense.

How many Tulsa players have went on to MLS or Europe? (Genuine question, I dont know.) RBNY2 is still producing MLS players and guys that are on track for Europe, like Tolkin.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Bogert is making it sound more like it will be easier to go Europe on a free than having a homegrown contract. RBNY2 is still graduating pros like Tolkin & Edelman. But RBNY2 is geared towards creating players for the first team or to sell on to Europe. If a player wants freedom to go anywhere in Europe at 18 a short term contract with an independent USL team makes sense.

How many Tulsa players have went on to MLS or Europe? (Genuine question, I dont know.) RBNY2 is still producing MLS players and guys that are on track for Europe, like Tolkin.

RB2 was producing those players as a USL team, god knows what they're going to do in MLS Next Pro.

Can't imagine being persuaded to spend my late teenage years in fucking Oklahoma though. Weird move.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

RB2 was producing those players as a USL team, god knows what they're going to do in MLS Next Pro.

Can't imagine being persuaded to spend my late teenage years in fucking Oklahoma though. Weird move.

That's the thing -- says he signs with RB, he is going to MLS Next Pro year 1, guaranteed. Then what's the best case, he makes the bottom of the roster in year 2 and maybe makes a late push like Edelman?

For someone who want to go to Europe at 18, not an ideal path.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts
Too bad - Its gonna happen more and more as USL viable path as shown by a few players
Haji Wright syndrome

What kinda deal years wise would he likely be offered?
3-4 years?

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

This is a bummer, but not overly surprising. Candidly, I think a lot of the talented younger players are cognizant of the fact that Next Pro (NYRBII in particular) is very poorly run will little attention and limited in terms of growth for players of his caliber.

this one not really about next pro. Much bigger factors at play

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Too bad - Its gonna happen more and more as USL viable path as shown by a few players
Haji Wright syndrome

What kinda deal years wise would he likely be offered?
3-4 years?

hg is 5 years its not really great if you want to go to EU Asap

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

True and if they dont offer high enough he may say hold for 2 years snd get bigger payday although they can point to tolkin new contract as willing to negotiste

If he had trials and everyone trllling him he will be in Europe soon then tough to keep
There are lots of us players who went at 18 and having succes
I guess he could say no thanks but I want to stay with mls next pro team

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

he probably already has a verbal agreement with someone, or just really wants to go to europe asap.  no mls club signs anyone to a 2-yr HG deal.  but disappointing nonetheless, he's pretty good. 

it is crazy how far USL has come though that its a legit development platform for independent clubs and thats good for the USA soccer ecosystem.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

If you want to go to EU asap, you can still go. A team would buy you if your good enough.

The fact that he is picking USL over MLS just speaks volumes to where things are with player development in MLS and RBNY.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

If you want to go to EU asap, you can still go. A team would buy you if your good enough.

The fact that he is picking USL over MLS just speaks volumes to where things are with player development in MLS and RBNY.

It does not. Each case is different. For players who want to go to Europe at 18, MLS is not the way to go, with some rare exceptions (Slonina -- but Slonina was good enough to start in MLS last year; I doubt Worth is anywhere close to that). For players who build up their value and experience before moving abroad (Tolkin, Edelman), it's the right path.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Wrong. The layer doesnt want to be beholden to any club in inside Europe. He wants to go where HE WANTS when hes 18, not where RBNY sells him to.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

The layer doesnt want to be beholden to any club. He wants to go where HE WANTS when hes 18, not where RBNY sells him to.

Of course, the Euro club can transfer or loan him.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

It does not. Each case is different. For players who want to go to Europe at 18, MLS is not the way to go, with some rare exceptions (Slonina -- but Slonina was good enough to start in MLS last year; I doubt Worth is anywhere close to that). For players who build up their value and experience before moving abroad (Tolkin, Edelman), it's the right path.

Umm.. tyler was sold and later on moved to europe at 19. Edelman is not ready for europe and tolkin at age 20 will probably get sold this year.

I am not buying that its a case by case scenario. You attract the environment that you create. MLS reserves gave up playing division 2 soccer to create an undesirable MLS PRO league to save money. There is a difference between kids v kids and kids v men who are professional players. The intensity is much greater.

Its sad that USL teams are creating a better youth training environment than MLS teams. kids are seeing teams like louville, who sold Johnathan Gomez to real sociedad and josh wydner to benfica. It is more appealing to go the louville/usl route than MLS reserves because your playing better competition.

If Worth is really a top notch prospect, then he would be starting in MLS by 18. Rbny is not shy on playing young kids. By age 19-20 he would be sold to a European club. He clearly picked usl over MLS because he saw a better development path in the USL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users