74 replies to this topic

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Cosgrove is an intriguing possibility. I love the idea of a big burly forward in the Altidore mode who can score in a variety of ways.

I also like the fact that he has had scoring success at multiple teams bodes well for success here. I'd like this move.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

The activity for the team is so sparse......that fans are actually convincing themselves that players from the Scottish 2nd division are good signings.

God, the bar is now so low.

This

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

I guess at this point something would be better than nothing, but we need attacking players beating defenders one on one, not another big white guy who's never dribbled past an opponent in his life.

Since we like beating our heads with the same Service from the wing a big white guy who is good in the the air might not be bad.

It's creative, and something so i like it.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Knowing the type of player profile we were going for (younger, not a splashy name) I would like the signing a lot.  He looks to be pretty two footed, can play the target man role, but has pace to get in behind.  For a guy his size appears to be pretty well rounded and unlike some past signings has some production to his name.

We don't really need a forward who is a dribbling type given our pressing, but we do need someone with pace to get in behind and/or physically imposing.  Everyone we've signed or draft fits this profile.  in the midfield though having someone who can beat someone one v one is important to create overloads after winning ball in middle third.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts
Agree Sims and Kaku can beat people 1v1
Having a target Altidore type for someone White Royer to play off of would be interesting
I think this means we shift to 2 up top
So if we can get this done we have 2/3 on the off season excluding that Hull guy . Might have to roll we the roster and see who Omir Valot (even more CCJ) steps up. Then hoping more in summer (for real this time with scout analytics) dept.

Also system creates chances
This isnt CBus USMNT were we look for possession to unbalance opponent
Also Kaku drifting left and his passing beats opponents
Our identity is against the ⚽ but we now have with ball options

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Cosgrove in the XI today for Aberdeen in their Scottish Cup match

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Agree Sims and Kaku can beat people 1v1
Having a target Altidore type for someone White Royer to play off of would be interesting
I think this means we shift to 2 up top
So if we can get this done we have 2/3 on the off season excluding that Hull guy . Might have to roll we the roster and see who Omir Valot (even more CCJ) steps up. Then hoping more in summer (for real this time with scout analytics) dept.

Also system creates chances
This isnt CBus USMNT were we look for possession to unbalance opponent
Also Kaku drifting left and his passing beats opponents
Our identity is against the ⚽ but we now have with ball options

If were gonna go 2 up top you throw Kaku and sims wide and sign a multimIllion dollar CM to sit next to CCJ.

Sorry Sean.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

If were gonna go 2 up top you throw Kaku and sims wide and sign a multimIllion dollar CM to sit next to CCJ.

Sorry Sean.

Exactly.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Id we get him obviously I hope he does well.

3 observations that are clear to see from the boards:

1. I didnt know Jozy Altidore is playing in Scotland.
2. The color of someone skins is really important to some folks. In this day and age, I find that really surprising.
3. People still think they can scout players from watching a few clips on YouTube. Silly.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

We don't really need a forward who is a dribbling type given our pressing, but we do need someone with pace to get in behind and/or physically imposing.  Everyone we've signed or draft fits this profile.  in the midfield though having someone who can beat someone one v one is important to create overloads after winning ball in middle third.

We dont NEED someone dribbling past players, but it sure would be nice, especially if we're down a goal and the other team is sitting deep, closing spaces and letting us have the ball. You know, the same way we've lost pretty much every playoff game in the last several years.

Anyway, I agree that the guy seems like he can finish in multiple ways (based on a brief glimpse only of course) and could be a good addition. A bigger better Brian White type.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We dont NEED someone dribbling past players, but it sure would be nice, especially if we're down a goal and the other team is sitting deep, closing spaces and letting us have the ball. You know, the same way we've lost pretty much every playoff game in the last several years.

That's the exact scenario where I'd prefer a bumbling, bull-in-a-china-shop goon throwing his weight around. MLS teams aren't usually skilled enough to dribble or quickly pass their way through a parked bus, might as well let a big man cause some chaos and see what happens. That was like, 95% of the game plan SJ used to win the 2012 Supporter's Shield.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Cosgrove in the XI today for Aberdeen in their Scottish Cup match

86th minute penalty ⚽️ in a 1-0 win

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

That's the exact scenario where I'd prefer a bumbling, bull-in-a-china-shop goon throwing his weight around. MLS teams aren't usually skilled enough to dribble or quickly pass their way through a parked bus, might as well let a big man cause some chaos and see what happens. That was like, 95% of the game plan SJ used to win the 2012 Supporter's Shield.

I'd prefer an alternative more creative option as a plan B (or A!), but I guess improving on the current striker pool with a similar type of player works too. And someone more creative would of course cost more, all else equal.

Plenty of MLS teams can create their way to a goal through a parked bus these days. We've done it too, just not in our last playoff series each year, unfortunately.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Aberdeen coach confirms interest in Cosgrove: https://www.dailyrec...ansfer-21308961

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

According to the Aberdeen manager, "there has been no offers".

Preseason is 80 days old. 1 week left until players report.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users