Frieslander

Frieslander

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Supports:Metro
From todays Record:

The trouble started after five Muslim men were seen praying inside Giants Stadium before a Sept. 19 football game.

A suspicious spectator notified authorities, who cornered the men in the stands during the game.

"All of a sudden, eight yellow-jacketed security officers come up to us," said Sami Shaban, one of the five men, and a Mahwah High School graduate. "They told us, 'Get up.'Ÿ"

As the men complied, Shaban said, security guards clutched their arms and other spectators shouted their approval.

"Now I feel safer!" one bellowed.

Several state troopers waited at the bottom of the stairs.

http://tinyurl.com/d4a2k
Soy de Metro.

UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain

Shogun of Jersey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,584 posts
  • Interests:I do things
  • Supports:RBNY
Allah doesn't even like football. Prayer is for schools not stadiums.

EDIT:
If they were really by an air duct I would have been suspicious as well. I blame it on the media. My muslim friends agree as well. I talked to them about it this weekend. Cause I'm an ahole like that.

Edited by UncleLTrain, 03 November 2005 - 08:27 AM.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,913 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Well, people had apparently notified security of what they (the people) had observed & thought suspicious, so NJSEA had to do something. With the former president & other politicians present & it being a Monday Night nationally televised game (which I was attending!), I'd prefer some action to inaction. The Moslems may feel slighted, but should understand the situation as well. After all, in GS, most praying is done in the stands while the team is on the field :rolleyes: !
P.S. No one knows completely what motivates terrorists - the fact that the "Saints" were one of the teams could inspire some religious fanatic to act out.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Supports:Mighty Metros
Yeah, there's more to the story below. Fuck them, in this day in age all PC rules are off. Safety first. They were released and upgraded for the saftey check.

FBI spokesman Stephen Siegel denied that the men were singled out because they are Muslim. He said they were questioned because they had been seen by spectators congregating around an air duct - apparently while praying.

"You had a group of gentlemen huddled over by an air intake duct," Siegel said. "In this day and age, we tell people to act on anything they deem suspicious. The fans there thought it was suspicious because they were near an area not normally accessed by the public."

After being questioned by FBI agents, Siegel said, the men were offered a private room where they could pray and upgraded seats to compensate them for the inconvenience.

"We were responding to essentially a tip," Siegel said. "This is a gigantic public event with tens of thousands of people, so if someone makes a suspicion known, we're not going to ignore that."

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,913 posts

"We were responding to essentially a tip," Siegel said. "This is a gigantic public event with tens of thousands of people, so if someone makes a suspicion known, we're not going to ignore that."

I wouldn't say 'F' them. I'm sure the FBI, etc. apologized for the inconvenience & the NJSEA offered them different seats away from the people who had reported them. It is one of the Moslems who is making this a big deal by complaining to the media. It's as bad as the ACLU suing to prevent bag searches on the NYC subways, while the ACLU itself searches bags & makes people show ID before entering its own building!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

I wouldn't say 'F' them. I'm sure the FBI, etc. apologized for the inconvenience & the NJSEA offered them different seats away from the people who had reported them. It is one of the Moslems who is making this a big deal by complaining to the media. It's as bad as the ACLU suing to prevent bag searches on the NYC subways, while the ACLU itself searches bags & makes people show ID before entering its own building!

Are you kidding about the ACLU searching bags at their own place?? HAHA, that's a riot.

kubrick74

kubrick74

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Supports:Metro FC / US Nats
The football players oftern have their own prayers right in the center of the playing field after games : Home and away players alike in a big prayer circle, presumably Christian.

Is this suspicious behavior ?

I think we should call security on them too.

As for the ACLU, those buildings are private property. The subways on the otherhand, no matter how the MTA likes to spin it are subsidized by public money and should be considered public property.

Nevertheless, I dont think its a matter of being PC, or not PC. (The term PC, like "liberal" and "conservative" have become overused and are rendered meaningless). I think its a matter cultural ignorance and fear on the part of those running Giants Stadium.

UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain

Shogun of Jersey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,584 posts

The football players oftern have their own prayers right in the center of the playing field after games : Home and away players alike in a big prayer circle, presumably Christian.

As for the ACLU, those buildings are private property. The subways on the otherhand, no matter how the MTA likes to spin it are subsidized by public money and should be considered public property.

The ACLU is a crap organization to begin with. Football players praying on the field... not suspicious... anyone praying by an airduct? very suspicious. I don't care what color you are.

If a pilot prays in a cockpit before takeoff... so be it. If an eskimo is out praying by the engine... i'm worried.

ToddP25

ToddP25

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,752 posts

There is a difference between the two. I know you see the difference...This isn't about religion..

Its about not trusting brown people... :o

UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain

Shogun of Jersey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,584 posts

There is a difference between the two.  I know you see the difference...This isn't about religion..

Its about not trusting brown people... :o

I take offense to that... I'm brown. :P

Frieslander

Frieslander

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I'm predisposed to believe that the airduct angle is a convenient excuse. There are airducts all over that stadium, where were they supposed to pray? Does praying to your god now require permission from the NJSEA?
Soy de Metro.

CrazyG

CrazyG

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Interests:Soccer
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls / NY Red Bulls II

I'm predisposed to believe that the airduct angle is a convenient excuse. There are airducts all over that stadium, where were they supposed to pray? Does praying to your god now require permission from the NJSEA?

Here's a thought...Pray either before the game or after the game. I have a muslim friend and his prayers don't ever seem to interfere with his enjoyment of either Football or Metro's games at Giants Stadium.

So, Suspicious? Yes. <_<

UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain

Shogun of Jersey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,584 posts

Here's a thought...Pray either before the game or after the game. I have a muslim friend and his prayers don't ever seem to interfere with his enjoyment of either Football or Metro's games at Giants Stadium.

So, Suspicious? Yes. <_<

Don't they have to do it at a certain time though? I hate to say it but they brought it on themselves. That's the way America is post 9/11. The terrorists won and our freedoms are being taken away.

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Here's a thought...Pray either before the game or after the game.  I have a muslim friend and his prayers don't ever seem to interfere with his enjoyment of either Football or Metro's games at Giants Stadium.

So, Suspicious? Yes.  <_<

Don't they have to do it at a certain time though? I hate to say it but they brought it on themselves. That's the way America is post 9/11. The terrorists won and our freedoms are being taken away.

The irony is that their muslim people on 9/11 took away their liberties.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,913 posts

It's about not trusting brown people... :o

Have you seen the percentage of "brown" players in the NFL, including the prayer circles? :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users