170 replies to this topic

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
So the question is who orchestrated this move. If it was a mandate from Ralf it would go against all beliefs here that the mothership is detached and does not care about the NY team

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Supports:Metro

So the question is who orchestrated this move. If it was a mandate from Ralf it would go against all beliefs here that the mothership is detached and does not care about the NY team

Regardless of who recruited him, I have a very hard time believing this guy voluntarily left a major job with a team in the top half of the EPL table so that he could oversee the promotion of USL players and St. John's draft picks in MLS. One has to think (hope) he is here to build a legitimate roster. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,505 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Why not just fire Hamlett and replace him with this guy?

What has Hamlett done that they have to keep paying him a salary?

A smooth transition is worth far more than whatever salary Hamlett is drawing.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Not all over the map. Its just an issue with timing. This is great news and explains the super unusual off season we just witnessed.

1. Hamlett was clearly the care taker until someone qualified was able to take the role.
- appears his job was to dismantle the roster, not add significant peices.

2. The talk of lopes and cosgrove was all PR to fake that NYRB was interested in competing for fans. Gotta assume interview and negotiation lasted months, so no way would hamlett be allowed to spend millions and bring in players that could potentially not fit the new guys vision.

3. Hamlett is the operational guy. AKA non decision maker. He will just push papers, if he stays. He goes into the background, and we will never hear from him again.

4. Armas is out. If this guy is half as smart as we think he is, it will be clear that Armas is not a good coach. No way this guy with Prem experience is going to see armas as class.. Armas is toast...

If your expecting more pieces... you are going to be disappointed.

This signing shows the red bull just went all in the youth development route

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

This guy is not leaving the prem, to nickle and dime here in the mls. That would be a terrible carrear move.

I am expecting pieces maybe this summer, definitely next winter.

But I also expect armas to be out. So I can take a tough year of development, to roll in to 2021 with some class players.

You cant win with armas, he got to go first. Its odd in any league for a GM not to pick his own coach. Armas is OUT.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

This guy is not leaving the prem, to nickle and dime here in the mls. That would be a terrible carrear move.

But I also expect armas to be out. So I can take a tough year of development, to roll in to 2021 with some class players.

You cant win with armas, he got to go first. Its odd in any league for a GM not to pick his own coach. Armas is OUT.

I don't think it's fait accompli but I have to think anything short of a great season will spell the end of Armas.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,038 posts

Maybe, maybe not.

What do we know? A) Hamlett not cutting it and or B) Armas not cutting it. C) Is the Academy where it should be? 

If you don'y have confidence in Hamlett, then you can't expect Hamlett to make the right choices for B and C.

We all know US Soccer and MLS in particular has its own arcane rules, so it makes sense if you want to affect A, B and C that you bring in someone who can assess all three and hopefully improve all. But the Club  also  has enough experience to know that it helps the guy new to MLS to have a "local" expert to reduce mistakes. Hence, keep Hamlett at least long enough to have Thelwell come up to speed. Then he can better determine all aspects that need revising. He will determine if Hamlett has an appropriate longer term role going forward. Having Hamlett there at the beginning of his tenure helps Thelwell's integration and doesn't cause undue disruption. 

Only time will tell whether or not this is a "great" step or not, but Hamlett was not cutting it, so adding a new authority can't hurt. 

Even if you are right Elf and this only deepens our youth pipeline approach, if Thelwell is an upgrade to Hamlett then we are better off. Of course we all hope that he is there for more than just improving the youth pipeline, but that will have to be seen.

Of course, he could be a dud as well, but at least on paper it seems like an upgrade and it shows that the mothership isn't entirely disinterested, just mostly disinterested.

If I was running the business i would want success at all levels. Better teams produce better talent, even if that talent is eventually being moved on. There is money to be made in developing talent and a successful team helps pay for that development system. Of course, if you have been with the Club since the beginning like I have, you keep your expectations  quite low, in fact they are virtually non existent. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,505 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Who else could have orchestrated it?    You think Grandpre could just go out and hire some guy away from Wolves on a whim?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The guy is comming here because he is going to be paid very well to live in nyc and improve the quality and integration of the youth academy, red bull network, rbny and the usl team. This approach will give him job stability for a few years. I dont see him firing armas because if his pick fails he could be held accountable. It would be smarter to wait since Armas could be the scapegoat if his plan fails. Plus, Wolverhampton might be a cute town but its not new york city. Nyc offers a great quality of life for a guy that is getting paid.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

The guy is comming here because he is going to be paid very well to live in nyc and improve the quality and integration of the youth academy, red bull network, rbny and the usl team. This approach will give him job stability for a few years. I dont see him firing armas because if his pick fails he could be held accountable. It would be smarter to wait since Armas could be the scapegoat if his plan fails. Plus, Wolverhampton might be a cute town but its not new york city. Nyc offers a great quality of life for a guy that is getting paid.

lol you all are so fucking cynical. Not every move this club makes is a dastardly plot.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,903 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Who else could have orchestrated it?    You think Grandpre could just go out and hire some guy away from Wolves on a whim?

i don't think MdG has any influence over this hire or any hires to the Sporting side.

they recently hired General Counsel, atty with business development exp, last with Barclays Center. that hire is one that i think was all MdG. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

lol you all are so fucking cynical. Not every move this club makes is a dastardly plot.

Hanlons razor - never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts
  • Supports:METRO

Good move comparing it to all other moves we've done past two years, at least on paper. But realistically this kind of hire can not be judged without at least a full season under his guidance or whatever the fuck his role is. If he is a SD of sorts I fully expect him to bring his own guys like Ali did. We all hated Ali's first move but  made us into a better team than we ever were. Now we have a situation where most want the coach out ASAP but I imagine this guy will take his time to evaluate the situation before just bringing his guys in, either way Armas' time is up, just a matter of time, unless he is  actually a good coach just sucks at coaching players he didn't pick, so let's see. 

I'm way past getting excited or upset about any single move, let's just start the season and either be pleasantly surprised or confirm our suspicions that this team as constructed from the coach to the striker are not good enough.

Welcome to the shitshow Thelwell, now get to work because there's a ton of work to do.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
Ralf is on his way out of RB, might explain the hire a bit more

https://m.bild.de/bi...ailand-68575464

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Ralf is on his way out of RB, might explain the hire a bit more

https://m.bild.de/bi...ailand-68575464

Its probably good news. Ralf had a little too much going on, and was supposed to be overseeing both RBNY and Bragantino. Now we have someone above Hamlett who is only in charge of overseeing RBNY.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users