56 replies to this topic

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

We've done it a handful of times and it's been an unmitigated disaster every time aside from RZA.

This plus they seem to act like its a punishment every time they're here

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,787 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Are our scouting/resources seriously so poor that we have to resort to begging RBS for players they don't want every single window?

We haven't had scouting resources in awhile. Hamlett was an ineffective GM who didn't have the contacts or savvy to make moves happen inside or outside of MLS. We only just hired a full time head scout in December after the last guy didn't seem like he was fully committed to New York.

But also remember that these RBS rumors can barely even be called rumors, its literally just some RBS fans spitballing on Twitter.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
In 2021, am I alright with getting players who can't break the 18 for the Austrian Bundesliga on contracts MLS budgets can't support outside of sure thing starting players?

MLS has grown into a solid league with players that were starting on Juventus coming over on TAM contracts, rather than DPs. Here, we bring in guys on DP contracts that aren't starting games when healthy.

Thelwell needs to fire Hamlett and replace him with someone with experience in MLS with an understanding of the league nuances (Superdraft, salary caps, trades, MLS Free Agency rules, TAM, etc...).

Until then I think Thelwell and Struber are going to struggle with players they bring in and constructing a roster that fits into the salary cap. Wouldn't be shocked to have a 24 man roster with less than a handful of guys that would make another MLS roster, as we run out of budget and international spots.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,548 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We've done it a handful of times and it's been an unmitigated disaster every time aside from RZA.

I chronicled the history: http://www.metrofana...ory.jsp?ID=8122

It's been... not good.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa

Maybe RZA is sign that things are getting better there? Gulbrandsen before him was good, and spoke highly of his time here despite not getting minutes. 

Also, some respect due to Ibrahim Sekagya! 

RED. BULL. OUT.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,787 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Maybe RZA is sign that things are getting better there? Gulbrandsen before him was good, and spoke highly of his time here despite not getting minutes. 

Also, some respect due to Ibrahim Sekagya! 

I think Gulbrandsen would have been a great MLS striker on a team that didn't have prime BWP at the time.

The other synergy striker around that time though, Damari, could not have looked less interested in being here even while out on the field.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

I think Gulbrandsen would have been a great MLS striker on a team that didn't have prime BWP at the time.

The other synergy striker around that time though, Damari, could not have looked less interested in being here even while out on the field.

Damaris only goal was in CCL, lol.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Ideally, rbny should be holding massive camps in the Caribbean and central America looking for the next big star.

Looking for the next South American star seems to be the domain for RB Bragantino, not us, because of "identity" or some other lame excuse. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

Seems that every franchise in MLS have no trouble acquiring the players they need to be competitive, except of course this one. I'm beginning to wonder if this "youth development" mission is a major hinderance for being the franchise want or, it should be. 

That, and of course the ownership.

Ora e per sempre. Forza Metro!!!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,165 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

rbny should be holding massive camps in the Caribbean and central America looking for the next big star.

How about simply watching games on TV?
Fans such as Milo & others can observe talent.
How difficult is it for RBNY to do the same?
The difficulty may be greedy clubs & agents.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ig101

ig101

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Ideally, rbny should be holding massive camps in the Caribbean looking for the next big star.

The biggest problem about holding massive camps is Carnival culture.  I would not survive that job, too much rum and soca, my friend. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

How about simply watching games on TV?
Fans such as Milo & others can observe talent.
How difficult is it for RBNY to do the same?
The difficulty may be greedy clubs & agents.

if it was that easy, anyone can spot the next pele.

Talent is important but personality is important

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Grella and Sam had good amounts of both. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,165 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

if it was that easy, anyone can spot the next pele.

Anyone but our scouting department.
So, after recognizing talent, pay a visit.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Seems that every franchise in MLS have no trouble acquiring the players they need to be competitive, except of course this one. I'm beginning to wonder if this "youth development" mission is a major hinderance for being the franchise want or, it should be. 

That, and of course the ownership.

Competitive? What is your definition of competitive? We have had one of the best MLS clubs of the past decade. 11 straight playoff appearances, three Shields, a US Open Cup final, and a Champions League semi-finals appearance. If your definition of competitive means won an MLS Cup, then OK. Otherwise, silly to say we havent had the players to remain competitive. The Red Bulls are not the Jets or the Knicks by a long shot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users