93 replies to this topic

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Same reason Etienne & Veron couldnt get minutes on the wing under Marsch, but Etienne gets regular minutes on the wing for Shield leading Columbus. Guys are suited for different roles in different systems.

Veron has never really proven to suit any role, for any team in the last five years.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Veron has never really proven to suit any role, for any team in the last five years.

I know this is an oversimplification, but here are some numbers to put Veron's time here in perspective (stats are for the regular season for the players time at Red Bull):

Veron: 1729 minutes played, 10 goals, .52 goals/90 minutes played

Sam: 7145 minutes played, 20 goals, .25 goals/90 minutes played

Grella: 5136 minutes played, 16 goals, .28 goals/90 minutes played

Muyl: 6279 minutes played, 11 goals, .16 goals scored/90 minutes played

Royer: 7246 minutes played, 36 goals, .45 goals scored/90 minutes played

Sam, Grella, Muyl, and Royer were the wingers that all got minutes ahead of Veron during his tenure here.  Veron's goal/90 ratio for Red Bull is better than all of them, with Royer being the only one that's close.  Obviously, the comparison isn't perfect because Veron didn't play on the wing a lot, but when you factor in a lot of his starts came either in the ineffective 4-2-2-2 or with the B Team, I thought it was interesting.

Not saying Veron should have started over any of these guys, as there are other facets of the game like defense that are important, but he scored a goal every other 90 minutes, that's not that bad.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Perhaps he is a square peg, but the team seemed livelier when he was on the field. And that goal in Cincy!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I know this is an oversimplification, but here are some numbers to put Veron's time here in perspective (stats are for the regular season for the players time at Red Bull):

Veron: 1729 minutes played, 10 goals, .52 goals/90 minutes played

Sam: 7145 minutes played, 20 goals, .25 goals/90 minutes played

Grella: 5136 minutes played, 16 goals, .28 goals/90 minutes played

Muyl: 6279 minutes played, 11 goals, .16 goals scored/90 minutes played

Royer: 7246 minutes played, 36 goals, .45 goals scored/90 minutes played

Sam, Grella, Muyl, and Royer were the wingers that all got minutes ahead of Veron during his tenure here.  Veron's goal/90 ratio for Red Bull is better than all of them, with Royer being the only one that's close.  Obviously, the comparison isn't perfect because Veron didn't play on the wing a lot, but when you factor in a lot of his starts came either in the ineffective 4-2-2-2 or with the B Team, I thought it was interesting.

Not saying Veron should have started over any of these guys, as there are other facets of the game like defense that are important, but he scored a goal every other 90 minutes, that's not that bad.

Veron's best run of form was his 8 goals from 7-5-17 through the end of the season (23 games).

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

After playing only a few games Jorgensen can't get off the bench for a cup of coffee. Any possible way to get rid of him for next year? 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

After playing only a few games Jorgensen can't get off the bench for a cup of coffee. Any possible way to get rid of him for next year? 

Dont see why not, doubt they could recoup some of the transfer fee they spent, however. Maybe a loan back to Denmark?

The only striker Id keep on roster is one of White/Barlow, leaning White. Tetteh returned from loan, Barlow cut.

One of the guys from the View from 202 podcast had the theory that Barlow is a proxy for the type of striker Thelwell/Struber is looking for and thats why hes getting a lot of match time.

Tall, physical, with a decent amount of pace, hopefully with better feet.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Perhaps he is a square peg, but the team seemed livelier when he was on the field. And that goal in Cincy!

He had the same fit problem as Gulbrandsen. Good striker, bad on the wing, unfortunately behind BWP in the depth chart on a team that could not figure out how to play with two strikers. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

I would say yes with new coach very possible.  Unless Struber thinks he can coach up Jorgy.

Also, if the NYRB2 guys in practice with the first team show similar to him that would not help his case.

And further more maybe they get someone on loan for 1 year (unleash somebody else) while they strongly develop the talent in NYRB2 and academy.  

As far as recouping transfer fee this is a sunk cost.  I know RBG is not in the business of doing this but they have to had other transfers to RBS and RBL that did not work out.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Do we know who was ultimately responsible for this deal? Was this all on Hamlett or was it a corporate synergy venture?

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Do we know who was ultimately responsible for this deal? Was this all on Hamlett or was it a corporate synergy venture?

it was a combo of the old scout they fired and a corporate synergy recommendation.  An athletic article went in detail about it. They were considering Jorgy and two young strikers in the lower English leagues.  If one of those strikers was Ivan Toney, Armas would probably still be our coach haha.  

"The groundwork laid by Red Bulls’ far-reaching scouting infrastructure helped New York identify Jorgensen as a young player on the rise. He originally came to the attention of Red Bull global as a youth player in Denmark. From there, the greater Red Bull umbrella tracked him and when New York was in need of a striker this offseason, he was one of three names that the organization produced for him, along with two young forwards in England." (link).  They admit there was limited tape on him so combo of scout, Armas and Hamlett got it wrong.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Unless Struber thinks he can coach up Jorgy. 

Struber is a coach, not a miracle worker.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
358 players in club history. In all honesty, I truly believe that 357 of them were/are better than Jorgensen.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
I would put Digao on that list...his Wiki page claims he made 38 senior team appearances in his career, but Im still not convinced he was actually a soccer player. On five of his seven teams, he got 0-2 appearances on the field.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

it was a combo of the old scout they fired and a corporate synergy recommendation.  An athletic article went in detail about it. They were considering Jorgy and two young strikers in the lower English leagues.  If one of those strikers was Ivan Toney, Armas would probably still be our coach haha.  

"The groundwork laid by Red Bulls’ far-reaching scouting infrastructure helped New York identify Jorgensen as a young player on the rise. He originally came to the attention of Red Bull global as a youth player in Denmark. From there, the greater Red Bull umbrella tracked him and when New York was in need of a striker this offseason, he was one of three names that the organization produced for him, along with two young forwards in England." (link).  They admit there was limited tape on him so combo of scout, Armas and Hamlett got it wrong.

So fucking sad. Was this how we got Ivan also? 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

How bad must those other two choices have been?   Matti is the kind of young kid a large, big league team signs, along with several others like him, and they hope one or two turn into something.  He's not the guy you bet all your chips on for a must-have spot.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users