• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
From this whole ALi thing to the lack of quality signings to ZERO advertising going into the new season it just feels like a business thats about to close its doors or thats about to be sold. Bad vibes

5 year plan

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

From this whole ALi thing to the lack of quality signings to ZERO advertising going into the new season it just feels like a business thats about to close its doors or thats about to be sold. Bad vibes

been hearing this for years... at least since O-sack guaranteed Barca was buying them.

BTW, they advertise as much as anyone comparable;

http://www.onceametr...ing-mls-youtube

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

pooperscooper

pooperscooper

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA, Arsenal

been hearing this for years... at least since O-sack guaranteed Barca was buying them.

BTW, they advertise as much as anyone comparable;

http://www.onceametr...ing-mls-youtube

That article still pisses me off, and is more indicative on how little of a marketing budget "if any" that Red Bull has. The few ten thousand dollars they spent in flying some YouTube influencer and actually invest in more grassroot initiatives.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I can't seem to find it, but I thought Mintzlaff came out recently with a statement about being disappointed with MLS's growth. Maybe this is the time RB get out? Wishful thinking.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I can't seem to find it, but I thought Mintzlaff came out recently with a statement about being disappointed with MLS's growth. Maybe this is the time RB get out? Wishful thinking.

Dunno how much more he could have expected.

Any city with more than 10 people and every single investor has gotten together to make pitches to join MLS.  I'm halfway expecting Camden to scrap together a bid. 

People aren't doing all of that unless there is significant money to be made. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Dunno how much more he could have expected.

Any city with more than 10 people and every single investor has gotten together to make pitches to join MLS.  I'm halfway expecting Camden to scrap together a bid. 

People aren't doing all of that unless there is significant money to be made. 

I wish I could find it, I think he referring to the ratings for the playoffs and MLS Cup.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

That article still pisses me off, and is more indicative on how little of a marketing budget "if any" that Red Bull has. The few ten thousand dollars they spent in flying some YouTube influencer and actually invest in more grassroot initiatives.

Like what?   More billboards around MSG?  YOu know what clubs around the world do to for "grassroots" support?  They invest in great academy systems.   Guess what?

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

pooperscooper

pooperscooper

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA, Arsenal

Like what?   More billboards around MSG?  YOu know what clubs around the world do to for "grassroots" support?  They invest in great academy systems.   Guess what?

Nah, I mean more making more of an effort to sponsor youth leagues and partner pubs. When you let a bar like Woodworks lapse for a few months, that says a lot.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I'm convinced the attendance issues have to do with the type of people around this area.  Metro area sports fans are demanding... They know the league isn't even top 5 in the world and that keeps a lot of people from investing their interest.  Especially with the national team not being particularly good.  It's almost like a front runner mentality.

Soccer has caught on in a lot of areas in this country (especially the Northwest) but fully just hasn't caught on here yet.   When it does, we'll all know about it.  Because then ticket prices will be rising along with it....

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

I'm convinced the attendance issues have to do with the type of people around this area.  Metro area sports fans are demanding... They know the league isn't even top 5 in the world and that keeps a lot of people from investing their interest.  Especially with the national team not being particularly good.  It's almost like a front runner mentality.

Soccer has caught on in a lot of areas in this country (especially the Northwest) but fully just hasn't caught on here yet.   When it does, we'll all know about it.  Because then ticket prices will be rising along with it....

Yea. Over the course of the season, we'll go to games with about 8-10 different people. They all love going to the games and go to 4-5 games a year, year after year. But not one of them follow the team or could name more than three players (probably just two now that Dax is gone). Some follow European leagues and some don't follow any soccer.

When the stadium is 20K strong, I wonder what percentage is like my friends and what percentage is like me (someone that probably spends way too much time reading about this team and posting his, unwanted, thoughts about this team on these boards).

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Nah, I mean more making more of an effort to sponsor youth leagues and partner pubs. When you let a bar like Woodworks lapse for a few months, that says a lot.

But we have one of, if not the biggest youth team programs in MLS.      But sounds like maybe a personal ax to grind re: Woodwork.  

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

What do u mean by effort to sponsor?
Red Bull's are all over youth soccer in this area with many partner clubs academy etc.
partner pubs sure - lapse?

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

What do u mean by effort to sponsor?
Red Bull's are all over youth soccer in this area with many partner clubs academy etc.
partner pubs sure - lapse?

My son goes to a bunch of those camps. And it's funny, he and a lot of his friends at these camps, don't think of Red Bull as an energy drink. None of them are probably allowed to drink shit like that so their exposure to the beverage is limited. To a lot of them, I think Red Bull means soccer. Not sure if that's better or worse.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Yea. Over the course of the season, we'll go to games with about 8-10 different people. They all love going to the games and go to 4-5 games a year, year after year. But not one of them follow the team or could name more than three players (probably just two now that Dax is gone). Some follow European leagues and some don't follow any soccer.

When the stadium is 20K strong, I wonder what percentage is like my friends and what percentage is like me (someone that probably spends way too much time teading about this and time and posting his, unwanted, thoughts about this team on these boards).

Same here, I finally just got my first flex plan because I finally found a group of friend willing to commit to 6 games.  I usually make a 1/3 of the home games during the season, and one game I can go with 10 ppl and another 2.  85% of them love the experience and talk about how fun it was, but there are just so many other fun things to do in the Metro area that also have more "buzz" to them.  
I personally think NYCFC has helped us, because it has raised the buzz for at least two games this season and is a good time to advertise the team to new friends (check the secondary market prices for those tickets).  But the biggest issue the league has now is similar to baseball, people are fans of their local team, not the league (like the NFL or NBA).  Once/if that changes this market will go crazy.  The only team that has a national pull they have maintained for a while is the Galaxy.  We need more of those.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

I went to the Adidas store in downtown back in 2013 for the team autograph session and I ended up talking to an intern in the marketing department. He told me he came up with a great idea to get the club out there: he wanted to buy 200,000 Metrocards and put an ad for the team on them. It would've been a great, cheap way to market the team. But he said that the club ended up telling him no and, of course, did nothing to market this team. I wish Red Bull would fuck off at this point. 

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users