MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,543 posts
  • Supports:Metro
http://tinyurl.com/yqabvt

Three New York assemblymen are taking up a longtime Garden State complaint: sports teams keeping "New York" in their names even when they play in New Jersey.

A bill recently introduced by Assemblyman Ivan Lafayette of Queens would prohibit teams, such as the New York Giants and Jets football teams, from using the Empire State's name or abbreviation if they do not play their home games there.

The bill also would apply to the Red Bulls New York Major League Soccer franchise, which caused a brief firestorm last year with a name change from the former MetroStars. A spokesman for Governor Corzine remarked at the time that the New York moniker "seems like a different kind of bull altogether."

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

acleansheet

acleansheet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:Red Bull.
  • Supports:RBNY, Manchester City, US, Korea
This bill isn't going to pass. The Giants and Jets would be on a rampage. But even if they did, I guess we could change our name to Red Bull [United, FC, USA, City, etc]

MetroBulls

MetroBulls

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York
cmon, Red Bull New Jersey...that's just terrible. You already have the Nets and the Devils, just take what you can get and accept the rest!!!

theredmenace

theredmenace

2009 DOTY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Thoughtcrime United

This bill isn't going to pass. The Giants and Jets would be on a rampage. But even if they did, I guess we could change our name to Red Bull [United, FC, USA, City, etc]

How about Red Bull Metro? :lol:

This will never work. If it was just the lowly soccer team, maybe, but when you've got the two football teams and their sway, they'll strike this down with a holy vengance.
Upsetting Shorts: Funny, so you don't have to. SEASON 2 BEGINS! NEW EPISODE JULY 2nd!!!

Eleazar: "Tim = wise man"

devil500

devil500

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,633 posts
  • Interests:Engineering
  • Supports:Metro
Won't happen also why would they go after us and not the other 2 teams that use NY and play in Jersey unfair won't happen.

#RedBullOUT

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros
The Giants and the Jets would never let this happen. My guess is Jersey threatens to pass this bill and then the Giants and Jets threaten to leave and the bill is forgotten.

Infected Since 96'

Infected Since 96'

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Supports:Azzurri/Juventus
i think the whole part of RED BULL NEW YORK is the New York in the name. You know so they sell their soda, it's as simple as that.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts
  • Supports:Metro & USA
David Beckham would have to change his son's name from "Brooklyn" to whatever.

And the New England states could pass a law requiring the NY "Yankees" to change their nickname.

Dave Martinez

Dave Martinez

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,107 posts
  • Supports:Soccer in New York
Gentlemen . . . I give you our new name . . .

Metro Red Bull

Metro-211-7

Metro-211-7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars, Sporting Lisbon
A whole lot o NOTHING!

The Washington Redskins don't even play in D.C., I think! We are safe, since the Giants and the Jets don't allow this to happen.

Now that I'm getting used to New York, they are going to call it Harrison...

Let's root for the teem!!! We are beating our own records!
These high-IQ Margaritas are genious !!!
http://metrostarsint....blogs.sapo.pt/

Shaydee

Shaydee

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Supports:Metros

The Giants and the Jets would never let this happen. My guess is Jersey threatens to pass this bill and then the Giants and Jets threaten to leave and the bill is forgotten.

These are New York assemblyman trying to pass the bill not Jersey.

redbulls4ever

redbulls4ever

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Supports:Dale Metro Dale
So im guessing that when we play in the new stadium which will be in NEW JERSEY we will still have the New York part in our name?
"Banners wave and the air resounds with noisemakers, firecrackers and drums, it rains streamers and confetti. The city disappears, it's routine forgotten, all that exists is the temple. In this sacred place, the only religion without atheists puts it's divinities on display. Although the fan can contemplate the miracle more comfortably on TV, he prefers the pilgrimage to this spot where he can see his angels in the flesh doing battle with the demons of the day....
Rarely does the fan say: 'My club plays today.' Rather he says: 'We play today.' He knows it's 'player number 12' who stirs up the winds of fervor that propel the ball when she falls asleep, just as the other players know that playing without their fans is like dancing without music"

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.
Posted Image

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts
  • Supports:Metro & USA
And the PDL team Brooklyn Knights play in Queens!

Switching to bucketball- there are the Harlem Globetrotters and their constant nemesis the awesome New York Nationals. Do 1 or 2 games a year in MSG and other coliseums in NY state make them NY teams?

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
I istantly thougth of Metro Red Bull or Red Bull Metro but when I kept reading and saw the other posts I saw the whole they about the NFL teams, and I agree the giants and jets would never allow it. We're stuck with Red Bull New York.
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users