437 replies to this topic

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos
Just read a piece in the Athletic about MLS free agents come this off-season. Sean is on the list.

From the article:
Sean Davis, New York Red Bulls At 28 years old, Davis is in his prime and just played every single minute of the Red Bulls seasons. Hes started 20-plus games in four of the past five seasons, and has been very dependable in his performance. Hes coming off a deal that paid him $375,000 per year, and it will be interesting to see what kind of salary he is seeking in free agency, but considering his production and durability, hes an easy choice for a team that needs a No. 8.

Link: https://theathletic...._shared_article

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Tom Bogert had a similar piece today and said that he and RBNY were in discussions over a new contract

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Related, Man I would LOVE to get Rusnak from RSL.  Unfortunately doubt we pay the wages needed to get it done.

I would bet Davis gets a TAM deal and i would be down to pay that for him.   If he goes would leave a big leadership void. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

According to MLSPA, we are holding options on Long and Meara (they would be foolish not to pick up Long, but who knows with Meara), and the only free agents and Davis and Royer.

Hope Royer goes to Europe. Don't want to see him on another MLS team, like so many of our once-greats.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

According to MLSPA, we are holding options on Long and Meara (they would be foolish not to pick up Long, but who knows with Meara), and the only free agents and Davis and Royer.

Hope Royer goes to Europe. Don't want to see him on another MLS team, like so many of our once-greats.

Lindpere getting subbed on for the Fire during the SS game was a bizarre afterthought. I felt a bit bad for him in that moment. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Davis: Have to think Davis wants to be here. Captain of the team, played every minute, seems to like Struber.

Meara: I'm interested to see what happens with Ryan Meara. Assuming we keep Carlos Coronel, Luca Lewis vanished from the NYRBII team and AJ Marcucci played fantastic. Not sure if Lewis was being groomed for the backup role and stayed with the first team for much of the season or if he was written out of the team's plans for the future.

Long: Long's agent, Shaun Higgins, did not like how 2019 played out with the valuation and rejected offers. Then Long tears his Achilles and jeopardizes a potential future move. If it was another agent, I think we have a Kaku situation given how FIFA has handled the "team option". However PFC (the agency) handles a lot of MLS guys and would be doing more harm than good.

Royer: Sadly, I don't think we see Royer back.

2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
Those are the only 4 guys eligible for Free Agency (24 years or older and 5 years of MLS time), which makes sense based on the makeup of the roster

Plenty of other roster detritus that will be out of contract or have their options declined

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Meara: I'm interested to see what happens with Ryan Meara. Assuming we keep Carlos Coronel, Luca Lewis vanished from the NYRBII team and AJ Marcucci played fantastic. Not sure if Lewis was being groomed for the backup role and stayed with the first team for much of the season or if he was written out of the team's plans for the future.

Given that he's a local guy who is already accustomed to the backup role, is there a chance Meara restructures his contract to stick around at a lower salary? Assuming Thelwell and Struber even care to keep him around.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Given that he's a local guy who is already accustomed to the backup role, is there a chance Meara restructures his contract to stick around at a lower salary? Assuming Thelwell and Struber even care to keep him around.

I like Meara, but he wasnt allowed into Canada this season (maybe that will change) and, even though he played 0 MLS minutes, he still managed to pick up a knock and miss games. Hes just not reliable enough, even as a backup.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Just read a piece in the Athletic about MLS free agents come this off-season. Sean is on the list.

From the article:
Sean Davis, New York Red Bulls At 28 years old, Davis is in his prime and just played every single minute of the Red Bulls seasons. Hes started 20-plus games in four of the past five seasons, and has been very dependable in his performance. Hes coming off a deal that paid him $375,000 per year, and it will be interesting to see what kind of salary he is seeking in free agency, but considering his production and durability, hes an easy choice for a team that needs a No. 8.

But he's a 6

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

I like Meara, but he wasnt allowed into Canada this season (maybe that will change) and, even though he played 0 MLS minutes, he still managed to pick up a knock and miss games. Hes just not reliable enough, even as a backup.

That was temporary, Meara already went to Canada the second time we went.

Why is Duncan not listed on the MLSPA site? https://mlsplayers.o...y-list-released

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Why is Duncan not listed on the MLSPA site? https://mlsplayers.o...y-list-released

Hes out of contract, but hes not eligible for Free Agency

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

From the article:

Can't imagine Davis is more valuable for another team than he is for us, and going from captain to potentially fighting for a spot elsewhere at 29+ seems suboptimal.

So just a question of agreeing on a number, I would think. Would be nice (for the team) to not go into TAM for him, but obviously wouldn't begrudge Sean if he manages to get a bit more cash.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

not a free agent just out of contract. In mls rules he would go through rentry draft

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Gotcha. He still missed games due to injury this season.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users