81 replies to this topic

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,658 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Very depressing reading the homepage about worst draft signings.

Do we have a Top 10 (or 5, 10 is probably too much to ask) draft signings for some nostalgia?

I wrote one a long time ago, http://www.metrofana...ory.jsp?ID=4660, and then revised it: http://www.metrofana...ory.jsp?ID=5577

Needs another revision, obviously.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
We need game a game changing midfielder and striker and an MLS starting quality LB.

Anybody in the draft fit that?

No? Moving along...

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

I wrote one a long time ago, http://www.metrofana...ory.jsp?ID=4660, and then revised it: http://www.metrofana...ory.jsp?ID=5577

Needs another revision, obviously.

Ah yeah, now I remember. I see it was updated in 2011. The only one I can think of is Meara somewhere? He was in 2012. Honestly, since I can't remember any other college singings, that's the update for 2021. Just deciding who to remove is the question.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,911 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Ah yeah, now I remember. I see it was updated in 2011. The only one I can think of is Meara somewhere? He was in 2012. Honestly, since I can't remember any other college singings, that's the update for 2021. Just deciding who to remove is the question.

White's probably been the best since Meara but I doubt he knocks anyone off a top 10 list

The Falcon

The Falcon

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

The Superdraft is becoming more and more irrelevant . I commented once in the past how I can see why and respect Ernst Tanner's (Philly technical director) decision to forego selecting anyone the last 2-3 years. The talent gap and readiness between NCAA and MLS is very wide.  Lot of these guys just aren't ready. Send em to USL if they're professional caliber at all. Sure you get the likes of Larin, Gressel and few others who can play and start right away. But how many players get drafted that won't see the field their rookie year or be kept after 1-2 years? Academies, free agency, international signings is how teams build their rosters IMO. Not through the draft.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The Superdraft is becoming more and more irrelevant . I commented once in the past how I can see why and respect Ernst Tanner's (Philly technical director) decision to forego selecting anyone the last 2-3 years. The talent gap and readiness between NCAA and MLS is very wide.  Lot of these guys just aren't ready. Send em to USL if they're professional caliber at all. Sure you get the likes of Larin, Gressel and few others who can play and start right away. But how many players get drafted that won't see the field their rookie year or be kept after 1-2 years? Academies, free agency, international signings is how teams build their rosters IMO. Not through the draft.

MLS draft is more like the MLB draft. its rare for these draft picks to make an immediate impact on the first year. the draft is more  for the USL team. if they show promise, you might end up with a stud. guys will still fall through the cracks. 

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,769 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Ten Worst: SuperDraft picks.

"That was probably the best $100,000 we've ever spent." Take a bow, Denis.

http://www.metrofana...ory.jsp?ID=8142

Why you gotta make me get all angry again???

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, USA, PR libre
Ah Tony Tchani. Thought the team was starting to look better when he got into the starting lineup. Then we got Ballouchy and spent the rest of the year trying to force him into lineups to see if he's not THAT bad.

RED. BULL. OUT.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Ah Tony Tchani. Thought the team was starting to look better when he got into the starting lineup. Then we got Ballouchy and spent the rest of the year trying to force him into lineups to see if he's not THAT bad.

Sweep the leg.....

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

White's probably been the best since Meara but I doubt he knocks anyone off a top 10 list

I forgot about White. For some reason I thought he was a homegrown player.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts
Nabi Kibunguchy is the only guy I am interested in. Seems like he had the physical skillset to be a good defender; speed, strength and workrate. And has show some passing skills in midfield. Show him the red bull way and we might have a good player

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
Draft tomorrow at 2pm. As of now we hold 4 picks. Natural picks: 13, 40, 67; and Seagrist trade: 81

Every player drafted since 2014 played with either NYRBII and/or the first team, except Joey Piatczyc (forced to retire due to injury) and last years picks, Stavros Zarokostas (who played amazing for Charleston Battery and will be back for them this year) and Niko Petridis (don't think he latched on anywhere).
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,658 posts

So the Worms traded three picks to Nashville for 225K... NONE in the first round (except for the one next year). We traded Parker, a quality MLS starter, for 450K (potentially more, but we'll see).

I really hope Hamlett's recent lunacy of wasting money on picks ends, but not holding my breath. Just use the ones you got, and if it works out, fine. This ain't your father's SuperDraft anymore.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

So the Worms traded three picks to Nashville for 225K... NONE in the first round (except for the one next year). We traded Parker, a quality MLS starter, for 450K (potentially more, but we'll see).

I really hope Hamlett's recent lunacy of wasting money on picks ends, but not holding my breath. Just use the ones you got, and if it works out, fine. This ain't your father's SuperDraft anymore.

I think only 50k of it is guaranteed, the rest based on performance of draft picks.  So i think Philly will just end up with $50k. 

That said this is the USL Superdraft and hopefully whoever we take helps push the academy guys in training.game time so they develop properly.  Only purpose they have.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

There are a few athletic cbs in this draft that could play. Barlow and bauer's are the 2 main cbs that have skill. However, for rbny, I think you need the better athlete to play D. If rbny can nab Nabi Kibunguchy and/or aime mabika, 2 very athletic cbs, we should be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users