42 replies to this topic

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
After watching the Toronto-Montreal series it's clear we need a big name DP signing this offseason.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

yup. and he is gonna start ahead of muyl at RW. Royer at LW. BWP up top. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

After watching the Toronto-Montreal series it's clear we need a big name DP signing this offseason.

Is it though? Gio, Jozy and Bradley aren't big names but are skilled. People like Drogba, Gerrard, Pirlo, and Lampard are all big names who really offered nothing. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

After watching the Toronto-Montreal series it's clear we need a big name productive DP signing this offseason.

I would love another DP but most importantly we just need to play better.  If one of Veron or Royer proves to be a true impact player with 16 combined goals and assists we should be good to go.  If we get a new DP get me someone who can score from outside the box so we don't have to walk it into the goal to score everytime

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Is it though? Gio, Jozy and Bradley aren't big names but are skilled. People like Drogba, Gerrard, Pirlo, and Lampard are all big names who really offered nothing. 

What? All three of those players are big names. They aren't legend names, but most of those legend names who posted were garbage. Gio is a stud and Jozy has been a stud in recent months. Those are the types of players we need. TFC will be good for a few years to come - kudos to them for making big money moves for younger guys.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

What? All three of those players are big names. They aren't legend names, but most of those legend names who posted were garbage. Gio is a stud and Jozy has been a stud in recent months. Those are the types of players we need. TFC will be good for a few years to come - kudos to them for making big money moves for younger guys.

We have the league leaders in both goals and assists, is the idea that guys like BWP and Kljestan aren't up for big games because they aren't "big name players"? Are we looking for more World Cup vets?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Why?  To replace whom?  Are the tiny payroll's of last year's final already forgotten and irrelevant?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

We have the league leaders in both goals and assists, is the idea that guys like BWP and Kljestan aren't up for big games because they aren't "big name players"? Are we looking for more World Cup vets?

maybe BWP and Sacha are "big name players" in this league, but I don't think they deserve to be called "big game players" as opposed to Jozy. altidore demonstrated that he is one. how so? proved it with a big splash this yr, especially when his fucking team needed it the most: in the playoffs. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Why?  To replace whom?  Are the tiny payroll's of last year's final already forgotten and irrelevant?

THIS

Jozy is playing about the best of his career.  If this was July and he was injured everyone would be crying a blue streak. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

We can win with BWP and Sacha if they get help from the wings.  With Marsch lineups, Grella was our third best offensive threat on the pitch - that's not good enough.  BWP needs help by having goals come from other players that are on the pitch at the same time as him.  Not help in the form of a backup striker or a replacement.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

maybe BWP and Sacha are "big name players" in this league, but I don't think they deserve to be called "big game players" as opposed to Jozy. altidore demonstrated that he is one. how so? proved it with a big splash this yr, especially when his fucking team needed it the most: in the playoffs. 

BWP couldn't even score on some chances he would have easily buried in the regular season. That one at the end of the game in Montreal still amazes me. Sacha not scoring on the PK to tie the aggregate at home was so disappointing. So frustrating these guys couldn't step it up when it mattered most.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

We can win with BWP and Sacha if they get help from the wings.  With Marsch lineups, Grella was our third best offensive threat on the pitch - that's not good enough.  BWP needs help by having goals come from other players that are on the pitch at the same time as him.  Not help in the form of a backup striker or a replacement.

Though I would say an injured Grella as third option is not good enough.  Healthy Grella with more offense from Muyl, or having Royer or Veron start probably is enough.  However, that doesn't mean the team should reject any opportunity to get better.  Better the team is the more unlucky moments you can endure and still be successful.

Father Ted

Father Ted

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

This team has proven to be among the best if not the best over the last 4 or so years consistently in the league.  There is no doubt about that.  But we simply haven't been good in the Playoffs.  We might blame it on bad luck, poor refereeing, the structure of the playoffs, one legs, two legs, away from home the first leg, injuries or loss of form.  But these other teams hit a run of form and are able to navigate through the playoffs with sometimes ugly soccer e.g. Montreal, good on the break get a goal and defend for dear life.

We cannot stay stagnant and go with essentially the same for the third year in  row e.g. the last two years it's been the same front six almost every game with the exception of Muyl for Sam.  We need upgrades on the wings, for me Grella/Veron/Muyl don't cut it.  We also need the ability to change formation quickly when we need to.  Maybe by the time the playoffs come round the other teams have figured us out but we need to change and make our team less rigid to a system and more flexible to change.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

This team has proven to be among the best if not the best over the last 4 or so years consistently in the league.  There is no doubt about that.  But we simply haven't been good in the Playoffs.  We might blame it on bad luck, poor refereeing, the structure of the playoffs, one legs, two legs, away from home the first leg, injuries or loss of form.  But these other teams hit a run of form and are able to navigate through the playoffs with sometimes ugly soccer e.g. Montreal, good on the break get a goal and defend for dear life.

We cannot stay stagnant and go with essentially the same for the third year in  row e.g. the last two years it's been the same front six almost every game with the exception of Muyl for Sam.  We need upgrades on the wings, for me Grella/Veron/Muyl don't cut it.  We also need the ability to change formation quickly when we need to.  Maybe by the time the playoffs come round the other teams have figured us out but we need to change and make our team less rigid to a system and more flexible to change.

So you don't count Royer as their attempt to upgrade on the wings?  

Also with Veron we have the ability to change formation and play him next to BWP.  Jesse just doesn't want to do that and neutralize Sacha out wide.  I will say I dont know why Jesse wont just put Sacha in the middle with Felipe or Dax sometimes and play Royer and Grella wide to have more offense on the pitch

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Dead horse territory, I know, but it's not Marsch's fault that BWP couldn't finish a 6-yard box chance or a 1v1 chip against the goalie, or that Sacha couldn't score a penalty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users