60 replies to this topic

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
What was up with all 3 groups doing their own thing? Viking army and ESC combined for a few songs but both still did their own thing for the vast majority of the game. Gsu was completely doing their own thing as well, their drumming is utter shit.

Not being in sync whatsoever made the entire South Ward sound like garbage. Did I miss some new stupid drama or was this just it's a champion league so who gives a fuck match.

The only thing I miss from the Giants stadium days is not having this nonsense of just mass pointless noise and drumming.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Oh look, it's this thread again.

What happened last night was right at the opening whistle, Viking Army decided to do the "we are the south ward" instead of the usual "we love ya" song.

As the game went on, the continuous clashing chants resulting in people no longer caring since it sounded like shit, so a lot of us, including myself, just stopped singing.

This kind of thing happens from time to time but in the end I try to avoid a lot of the middle school-level griping and dick measuring amongst the SGs.

The easiest solution is designate one group as the lead group for the entire game and rotate the cycle every three games. Problem solved.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

The easiest solution is designate one group as the lead group for the entire game and rotate the cycle every three games. Problem solved.

Too bad the problem is not leading chants but following considering the smallest group refuses to sing many esc songs, while they expect and in general receive other groups to follow their lead.

I say solution is one perch, sing what you want and don't sing what you don't want. Just don't say fuck you and do your own thing. At the same time I know a solution does not really exist until the team we all root for is what it is.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
I still dont understand the need for 3 SGs to begin with... *ducks*
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Neither do I. I know this subject gets beaten to death from time to time but last night was the worst it's been all year and I've only missed 2 regular season games this year.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

Very simple. Control and hatred for any but my way. I can do it better/we're bigger supporters than you attitude.

Wouldn't be an issue if everyone was a fan from day one and again if rb did not come into the picture, team itself is very divisive so why not the supporters too?

Expect more SGs in the future, not less.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I blame Sparta Metro Firm for what happened to south ward last night.   They were pretty obnoxious.   :deadhorse:

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
I'm telling you, put GSU next to the away supporters. Guaranteed entertainment and most will end up banned anyway!

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

The whole thing is embarrassing and has kept me from a lot of games this and last year,

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

The discord started on Sunday during the DC game.  I don't know exactly what happened, but someone from GSU was upset and came over to the ESC perch, and it looked for a moment like a fight was going to break out.  I would presume this was related to song selection. 

In general, there are points during every game that 101 & 102 are singing different songs.  Unfortunately, on Wednesday, this started at the opening kick, and didn't stop.  I made my own inquiries at half-time about everyone getting on track and was told, "Not tonight".

People can argue all they want about the existence of 3 SGs, but that's not going to change.  Each group has a different focus.  Personally, I like the diversity between the different SGs, as much as I like the diversity within ESC.  I would be disappointed if everyone in the SW was wearing the same replica kit and doing the same chants all the time. 

So, we all have to learn to get along.  When there's a problem, we don't need capos, or SG leaders, racing from one perch to another yelling at each other.  The leadership needs to be a calming force. 

Let' face it: the FO only tolerates us, because the SW is the face of the franchise and is responsible for much of, if not all of, the atmosphere inside RBA.

We watched the SGs in Toronto today, from the upper deck.  It's obvious that they are all singing different songs and doing different chants.  It appeared that each separate group did its own songs/chants, with limited participation from the others.   Taking turns seemed to work for them, although volume and clarity suffered. 

We know that at some stadiums, the SGs sit in completely different areas, and each does its own thing.  I'd like to think that we are better than that, that we can & should avoid infighting.  I love the SW.  I think that the players do, as well. 

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

Multiple SG's for each team and SG's that support the same team but hate each other has been common place in MLS for a long time! Really most teams suffer from it. I am legitimately ignorant here. Is this a common problem around the world or just an American thing? I imagine some (a lot) European and South American clubs have multiple SGs, but I would guess they work together better than all of us in MLS. 

One of the things that hooked me about MLS was the community aspect of the supporters. For a few years we walked back and forth between the ESC and GSS tailgates in 16A. It was like, "Hey we all support the same team, and we're all here to try and push them on to a win, we're brothers." Now when we pass those same GSS guys in the street, they pretend they don't know us. Obviously ESC is full of childish behavior intended the spite the other SG's as well. It's not a one way street, and it seems to be a problem across MLS.

I am curious if this is an American problem or one around the world. Does it have something to do with a capitalistic thirst for total control and domination? Or is three SG's right next to each other in the same stadium doing three different songs to spite each other common around the world?

copaantl98

copaantl98

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars and USNT

ESC FTW!

Judge: Mr Griffin, you even tried to bribe me with a subscription to Grape soda today, which I already have!

I'M AN AMERISNOB.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
ESC all day. World famous too, ya know.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Looked like ESC & VA were in sync, while GSU continued to do its own thing.

A fun moment when the 101 capos started the "Whole Stadium, Sing With Us!" chant.

Some in 101, closest to 133, changed it to "GSU, Sing With Us!" :D

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

irishstevenj

irishstevenj

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Honestly, move the Ultras somewhere else. There's like 20 of them, the rest of the people just get kinda caught up in their antics. 

I like the idea of putting them next to the away section. That'd be fun. 

Maybe another group can splinter off or be created and go in 133, or just used as overflow for every game rather than just NYC/PHI/DC etc. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users