153 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
More shots from distance is a big one. Defenders need to close out a bit further from the box, opening up space for passing. You can also get lucky on a deflection (e.g. Royer v Toronto) or get chances for a rebound off a save/deflection for one of the best in the business in BWP. Davis/Kaku both have good shots and need to try them a lot more often.

I thought the first half yesterday was okay. We had good passing sequences and a lot of low or waist-high crosses that on another day could have been goals (one was disallowed due to what I'm guessing was a marginal offside call). In the second half we had way less possession in the attacking half so it wasn't pretty.

MetroFever

MetroFever

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

It's very difficult to play in these conditions if you're not used to it. Weather has been on the cool and rainy side recently, so neither team has had time to have their bodies adjust accordingly.

If you're not used to it, you have guys with rubbery legs and whose decision making is affected as well.

Not making excuses, but that's the reality.

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

I think Jesse is asking the team to play more long balls to try and beat bunkers. Not sure if it's working.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Letting Kaku drift wide to find space when he's being marked heavily could also help. Philly wore him down in the midfield. Woulda rather seen him wide right running at the backline with Valot doing the center circle slogging.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

I think Jesse is asking the team to play more long balls to try and beat bunkers. Not sure if it's working.

The longball is actually a tool that Liverpool uses effectively to beat the press as its front three is very fast, and good at getting to second balls. They pass the ball back to their keeper to draw the press in and then go long when the opposing team is out of position. It's a pretty smart tactic. 

I think this was a little bit of a tough game as the Union played really well. I don't think we generated that much offense. Honestly, this is the first game all season where I can legitimately say we deserved zero points.  

Royer has been a little off still. I don't think he should be benched or anything. But he's usually a bit more direct. Not sure. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
We could definitely use an Alan Gordon type on the bench for these types of games, but the squad as currently constructed as good enough to beat these tactics. We were too sloppy on the day. Needed more 1-2 touch play in the corners to beat the first defender and get hard passes low across the 6. A few more goes from outside the 18 would have been welcome too.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
Weird how we need difference makers when playing shitty teams...

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Just finished watching the game, I hate missing home games but definitely wasn't mad about missing this one. Horrible, boring game to watch.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ

Weird how we need difference makers when playing shitty teams...

Little bit of playing up (CCL, ATL, NYC) or down (PHI, CHI, RSL) to the competition so far this season.  Have to get over that.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Little bit of playing up (CCL, ATL, NYC) or down (PHI, CHI, RSL) to the competition so far this season.  Have to get over that.

I give them a bit of a pass for the losses against RSL and Orlando. On the road, scheduled 4 days before/after a pivotal CCL game, lineups being mixed up, etc. But, the loss and draw at home to inferior Chicago and Philly clubs are frustrating. Obviously, no need to panic, but they need to start capitalizing on all available points at home.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Sorry if this has been covered, I haven't had time to read through the whole post game thread, but I was really quite mad at Jesse for waiting so long to make is subs on such a hot night. Multiple players were dragging and putting in his last sub at the 89th minute is inexcusable in my book in that kind of weather. Kemar for example for whatever reason could barely move for the last 25 minutes. Muyl as imperfect as he is helped up the energy level. Fresh legs for 20 minutes rather than 1 could have resulted in just the right break we needed.

Marsch for all of his positives still leaves me scratching my head sometimes.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Did anyone get another look on the Royer offside that could have possibly been a penalty? I haven't seen a video and I missed the stadium replay, but everyone seemed awfully mad about it.

It was definitely offsides

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

It was definitely offsides

Yes. On TV it was pretty clearly offsides. Ref actually chatted with VAR official for about 30 seconds afterward too, which surprised me because it seemed to be a pretty clear cut play.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Letting Kaku drift wide to find space when he's being marked heavily could also help. Philly wore him down in the midfield. Woulda rather seen him wide right running at the backline with Valot doing the center circle slogging.

Kaku was very off all game - none of his trademark precision.    I assume the South American players should have little trouble wit the heat.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Thought every offensive player was off... Just a weird game. Can't win them all, so happy we drew instead of lost.  Philly sat back which always makes it tougher.  There were times when we could have created a legit good chance but everyone would always miss that last pass.  A couple times Murillo specifically had a chance to drill in one of those low crosses (which he always seems to hit) and just missed badly on them yesterday.

Just an off game.  Not great timing because the next two are tough games on the road against teams that are playing pretty well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users