83 replies to this topic

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

In case there was any doubt after last year, Armas should have been fired the minute Murillo proved to be a top notch player in Anderlecht. Basically the guy is a star before Armas, star right after Armas, but Armas starts Buck over him and does not even activate a talent of that level for play-offs. This highlights concern that even if we get talent, Armas can't make it work. And we do need talent infusion for sure, but kind of worrisome that we have a coach that can misuse the talent of someone like Murillo, a proven star in MLS and Europe, who was only 23.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Players have a habit of being "off their game" until they get a transfer. I think Parker could be doing that now. Certainly, Murillo and Lawrence played that move.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Murillo ... a star before Armas, star right after Armas

Perhaps Murillo no longer wanted to play for us.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

In case there was any doubt after last year, Armas should have been fired the minute Murillo proved to be a top notch player in Anderlecht. Basically the guy is a star before Armas, star right after Armas, but Armas starts Buck over him and does not even activate a talent of that level for play-offs. This highlights concern that even if we get talent, Armas can't make it work. And we do need talent infusion for sure, but kind of worrisome that we have a coach that can misuse the talent of someone like Murillo, a proven star in MLS and Europe, who was only 23.

Armas should be fired, but not over Murillo. Murillos dip In form and his benching coincided with him not getting the move he wanted. He went back to his top form once he got his move.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Players have a habit of being "off their game" until they get a transfer. I think Parker could be doing that now. Certainly, Murillo and Lawrence played that move.

Parker already got paid with his TAM contract, I don't think he's looking to go anywhere.

Long is a good example though, his play tanked last year once the Europe rumors kicked into gear.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Perhaps Murillo no longer wanted to play for us.

Its possible, but even on the worst day he was 10 times better than Buck. There is no excuse for not having him in the playoffs. Also isnt it up to the coach to motivate the player? There had to be a way to motivate him to play for us, explain that he could raise his value by doing well and then he would get traded like he ultimately was. No matter how you slice this, having Morrillo off the playoff roster was a disastrous mistake that cost as big. He proved just now in Europe he still had the goods.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Its possible, but even on the worst day he was 10 times better than Buck. There is no excuse for not having him in the playoffs. Also isnt it up to the coach to motivate the player? There had to be a way to motivate him to play for us, explain that he could raise his value by doing well and then he would get traded like he ultimately was. No matter how you slice this, having Morrillo off the playoff roster was a disastrous mistake that cost as big. He proved just now in Europe he still had the goods.

Did you watch how casual Murillos play was for much of last year? Sure, the talent level between him and Buckmaster isnt even close, but you cant give a guy minutes when he isnt playing hard - even if a 10% effort Murillo is 10x better than 100% effort Buck.

It sends a horrible message to the rest of the team. It says talent means everything and effort isnt at all important. There was every reason to suggest that Murillo effort in practice was equally as bad as his effort in games, so Armas hands were tied.

It happens all the time where guys want out of a situation and they just dont give the effort. We saw it with Kaku at the start of last year and we may be seeing it with Long.

Theres no way Armas thought Buck was better than Murillo, its just that ometimes coaches cant play their best players.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Did you watch how casual Murillos play was for much of last year? Sure, the talent level between him and Buckmaster isnt even close, but you cant give a guy minutes when he isnt playing hard - even if a 10% effort Murillo is 10x better than 100% effort Buck.

It sends a horrible message to the rest of the team. It says talent means everything and effort isnt at all important. There was every reason to suggest that Murillo effort in practice was equally as bad as his effort in games, so Armas hands were tied.

It happens all the time where guys want out of a situation and they just dont give the effort. We saw it with Kaku at the start of last year and we may be seeing it with Long.

Theres no way Armas thought Buck was better than Murillo, its just that ometimes coaches cant play their best players.

No, I did not notice that he didnt play hard. He made more boneheaded mistakes, but he was running pretty hard up and down the field from what I saw actually creating chances for us, producing 10 times more than buck. Did you notice the buck Was released and never even picked up by any MLS team, and is in USL now, while Michael kicks ass in Europe. A guy like this simply not be starting in playoffs for us while Murillo not even active. Armas fucked the game and the fans on this move, which costed us a season.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

No, I did notice that he didnt play hard. He made more boneheaded mistakes, but he was running pretty hard up and down the field from what I saw actually creating chances for us, producing 10 times more than buck. Did you notice the buck Was released and never even picked up by any MLS team, and is in USL now, while Michael kicks ass in Europe. A guy like this simply not be starting in playoffs for us while Murillo not even active. Armas fucked the game and the fans on this move, which costed us a season.

There were rumblings (nothing confirmed) that Murillo had become such a locker room cancer that Armas truly had no choice but to start benching him. 

He had been pushing for a transfer for over a year at that point, I think even had a failed transfer to the Turkish league during one of the summer windows. Not sure if Murillo is the most mature guy out there but sometimes its hard to talk sense into a young kid who thinks his career is being held back. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I think even had a failed transfer to the Turkish league during one of the summer windows.  

That was Taxi

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

I agree with moving him on after the season but my big issue was why couldnt he sit Murillo down and just be like listen lets bury the hatchet for now and youre going to be the starter in the playoffs and well move you on in the winter.

Murillo is good enough to make it work in Europe and I wouldnt be surprised if he gets a bigger move from Anderlect in a year or two.

If it got so damn bad Murillo was never going to make a 18 then we should have played Muyl at RB for a few weeks before the playoffs. Really I still blame armas for playing a weak USL guy in a playoff game.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
Armas' failure to motivate Murillo, Taxi, and most of the roster last season is definitely an indictment of his leadership. Some people like to say that it's not on a coach to motivate professionals but it absolutely is in sports. Some coaches are able to get the absolute most out of their players and most coaches don't. Some of those coaches who aren't good motivators can make up for it by being excellent strategically, but motivation is huge.

Most humans don't give it their all naturally. It's just a trait that many have. Some guys are so naturally motivated that it doesn't matter where they go. I see Royer as that type of player to be honest. Dude is a warrior and gives it everything. Sean Davis too.

Now we have to actually spend because Armas and most coaches aren't going to get the guys playing way above their head.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Now we have to actually spend because Armas and most coaches aren't going to get the guys playing way above their head.

I love Jesse and what he did for this team. He was fungible to different styles, starting as a more possession oriented team in 2014 and transitioning to an all out high press by the end of his tenure.

The WORST thing for RBNY was to be as successful as he was with the talent he was afforded. It set expectations and convinced people that any coach that followed him could be successful with lesser talent as long as the system was adhered to.

Now weve reached a point where that version of the system has been strayed from, and although a variant is trying to be implemented its still not entirely coherent.

Additionally, Armas hasnt even been afforded the talent we had in 2018.

There has been no replacement for Adams, no replacement for BWPs goals, regression of some players and stifled development of others. The only thing the team has seemingly succeeded at has been replacing Kemar, Murillo, and Robles with seemingly competent players.

Id argue they need both a hot shot replacement for Armas and an influx of talent, but they surely need to do at least one of those things for things to improve significantly

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Armas' failure to motivate Murillo, Taxi, and most of the roster last season is definitely an indictment of his leadership. Some people like to say that it's not on a coach to motivate professionals but it absolutely is in sports. Some coaches are able to get the absolute most out of their players and most coaches don't. Some of those coaches who aren't good motivators can make up for it by being excellent strategically, but motivation is huge.

Anyone who has played a sport past high school knows this take is absolute garbage. Professional athletes do not need motivation from coaches. When you have a stadium of fans, locker room of guys you're close with, a paycheck providing for your lifestyle and family, the old guy giving you a rah rah speech does absolutely nothing. When you were in little league I'm sure the 1st basemen's dad gave you a good speech and you guys won a big playoff game, but that is a complete bullshit assessment for college/pro sports.

Honestly, nothing personal, but that was such a shitty take. Armas sucks at evaluating talent, managing personalities, tactics, fine. But motivation is such an embarrassingly stupid expectation from any coach.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Anyone who has played a sport past high school knows this take is absolute garbage. Professional athletes do not need motivation from coaches. When you have a stadium of fans, locker room of guys you're close with, a paycheck providing for your lifestyle and family, the old guy giving you a rah rah speech does absolutely nothing. When you were in little league I'm sure the 1st basemen's dad gave you a good speech and you guys won a big playoff game, but that is a complete bullshit assessment for college/pro sports.

Honestly, nothing personal, but that was such a shitty take. Armas sucks at evaluating talent, managing personalities, tactics, fine. But motivation is such an embarrassingly stupid expectation from any coach.

Just blatantly untrue, there are a million examples in pro sports proving your take is not based on reality, for some players anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users