64 replies to this topic

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

I think with the yearwood and manneh (edit: tetteh) signings we are a huge step closer to where RB global envisions us - a competitive team in MLS that underspends and can sell 1-2 good players every couple of years. Honestly I am ok with this approach as long as we have decent players. White/Barlow/Muyl are not decent players, but guys like Duncan, tarek, valot etc have skill , they just need a stronger complementary set of players to work with.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

I think with the yearwood and manneh signings we are a huge step closer to where RB global envisions us - a competitive team in MLS that underspends and can sell 1-2 good players every couple of years. Honestly I am ok with this approach as long as we have decent players. White/Barlow/Muyl are not decent players, but guys like Duncan, tarek, valot etc have skill , they just need a stronger complementary set of players to work with.

agree with this just need more talent (and less Tarek assisting the other team)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

I'm okay with this approach if it leads to a dominant team that competes for and wins cups...

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I'm okay with this approach if it leads to a dominant team that competes for and wins cups...

honestly i could care less about whatever approach we have as long as we are genuine contenders for awards.  

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

White/Barlow/Muyl are not decent players, but guys like Duncan, tarek, valot etc have skill , they just need a stronger complementary set of players to work with.

They are themselves complimentary players. We need stronger core. Tarek is a back-up and Duncan/Valot OK complimentary starters.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

They are themselves complimentary players. We need stronger core. Tarek is a back-up and Duncan/Valot OK complimentary starters.

When healthy, Duncan and Valot or starters on most MLS teams.  White, Barlow and Muyl are at least decent by MLS standards.    The point is, we want way better than decent, we want dominant.   Its like we are always one step behind.   We had a dominant defense, but a predictable offense.  We are now (hopefuly) bringing in some offensive punch, but the back four have turned to shit.  We have a need in one place, and by the time we fill it, we have gaps created somewhere else.   We seem never able to put it all together.    If we have offense, our defense stutters.  If we have good starters, we have no depth.   We need a FO that can handle more than one thing at a time, and we haven't had it.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Bkyoungboss

Bkyoungboss

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
Who is manneh and did I miss a signing we made

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Who is manneh and did I miss a signing we made

They meant Tetteh.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

When healthy, Duncan and Valot or starters on most MLS teams.  White, Barlow and Muyl are at least decent by MLS standards.    The point is, we want way better than decent, we want dominant.   Its like we are always one step behind.   We had a dominant defense, but a predictable offense.  We are now (hopefuly) bringing in some offensive punch, but the back four have turned to shit.  We have a need in one place, and by the time we fill it, we have gaps created somewhere else.   We seem never able to put it all together.    If we have offense, our defense stutters.  If we have good starters, we have no depth.   We need a FO that can handle more than one thing at a time, and we haven't had it.

Im hopeful with Thelwells background in English football hes more adept at diagnosing all of the problem areas and addressing them within 1-2 windows. Im not opposed to a decent sized roster overhaul in the offseason.

Midfield seems to be addressed for now, Id also like to see a more marquee DP attacking piece brought in to supplement Tetteh, and the CB issue needs to be addressed from outside the organization.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls
Going with the water from a rock approach requires a hell of a coach. That aint armas.

His job this year is to ensure Kaku, Royer, Parker, Sean Davis, and Long (maybe Jorgensen too) are performing on a week in week out basis.
Instead during MLS is back we were relying on Barlow, CCJ, Tarek, Long and Valot.

He and his system have failed.

Armas out!

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I miss Titi days team.  Don't like this approach at all!

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I think with the yearwood and manneh (edit: tetteh) signings we are a huge step closer to where RB global envisions us - a competitive team in MLS that underspends and can sell 1-2 good players every couple of years. Honestly I am ok with this approach as long as we have decent players. White/Barlow/Muyl are not decent players, but guys like Duncan, tarek, valot etc have skill , they just need a stronger complementary set of players to work with.

I don't think "decent" cuts in in this league anymore. I don't think relying on the Red Bull high press system will cut it in this league anymore either, coaches are quickly figuring out how to counter it.

We need at least a few excellent players, or an excellent coach with fresh ideas. Preferably both.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I don't think relying on the Red Bull high press system will cut it in this league anymore either, coaches are quickly figuring out how to counter it.

Huh? High pressing is good enough to dominate the Prem, do well in Bundesliga, La Liga and European club tournaments, why wouldn't it be good enough for MLS?

You do also need good offensive players and a better coach would help, sure!

High pressing by itself is not the problem. High pressing only some of the time with (mostly average) players not playing to their abilities under a mediocre coach is the problem.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Huh? High pressing is good enough to dominate the Prem, do well in Bundesliga, La Liga and European club tournaments, why wouldn't it be good enough for MLS?

You do also need good offensive players and a better coach would, sure!

High pressing by itself is not the problem. High pressing only some of the time with (mostly average) players not playing to their abilities under a mediocre coach is the problem.

I'm only going by what I'm seeing watching this team play. Maybe we are just worse at it than we were under Marsch, but teams are starting to slice through the high press like butter and are finding multiple ways to do it.

Tactics and formations are trendy in world football, and high press has been one of the favored styles in recent years. I think its reasonable to assume coaches across the world, having seen it more and more, are figuring out more ways to counter it even if the best of the best can still pull it off.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I don't think "decent" cuts in in this league anymore. I don't think relying on the Red Bull high press system will cut it in this league anymore either, coaches are quickly figuring out how to counter it.

We need at least a few excellent players, or an excellent coach with fresh ideas. Preferably both.

The problem isn't the "system." Salzburg, Leipzig, Liverpool, and lots of other teams have had success with pressing. And pressing also isn't a one-size-fits-all deal. A different coach who follows the philosophy can offer new ideas that still fit a pressing system.

I can't think of a single other philosophy that would make this group competent. Tiki taka? Fuck no. A Route One system that has Long and Tarek launching balls to Brian White? A counter-attack system that has us bunker down and then rely on an individual to create offense on the counter by himself? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users