1063 replies to this topic

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

IMO the team coasted on fumes after Marsch leaving. 

When you are coasting on fumes, you usually don't do better than you were doing before, which is what happened in the second half of 2018.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I still can't figure out what to make of the second half of 2018. I've never seen such a huge gap between the eye test and the actual results. The team looked a lot worse under Armas, but the results kept coming.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I still can't figure out what to make of the second half of 2018. I've never seen such a huge gap between the eye test and the actual results. The team looked a lot worse under Armas, but the results kept coming.

A coach replacing another coach midseason can rarely be judged.  There are too many examples of where the 2nd coach isn't any good, but when he initially takes over he gets a good bounce.  The true test is always the first full offseason and season. Not saying this after the fact either, said it numerous times as soon as the coaching change was made.

The picture is clear to see.  Individually, the entire damn team performed worse under Armas this season.  The only debatable is Royer.  That makes things crystal clear when it comes to the coach.  We are wasting a season next year with Armas.  Some people will continue to blame it on the players though...

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
Fully with you Komba, but I'd argue that some people will keep blaming it on the departure of one player as much as anyone else and that is what gets me the most.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

When you are coasting on fumes, you usually don't do better than you were doing before, which is what happened in the second half of 2018.

See iced and komba comments above.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Fully with you Komba, but I'd argue that some people will keep blaming it on the departure of one player as much as anyone else and that is what gets me the most.

It's not necessarily a binary choice either. BWP not being as good and healthy as he once was and Adams leaving certainly contributed to our worse season, which obviously doesn't make Armas blameless. Don't forget about the FO and the lack/lateness of meaningful additions as well.

The exact level of blame to each party is hard to estimate with precision.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

It's not necessarily a binary choice either. BWP not being as good and healthy as he once was and Adams leaving certainly contributed to our worse season, which obviously doesn't make Armas blameless. Don't forget about the FO and the lack/lateness of meaningful additions as well.

The exact level of blame to each party is hard to estimate with precision.

Agree, but the blame should be with Armas the most when I think in some people's eyes, that's not the case. 

Also don't know how much blame can be put on Hamlett either because judging the GM who's provided very little budget just isn't very fair. Definitely should place a lot of blame on ownership because spending means a lot in this league towards winning an MLS cup but if your head coach can't get the most out of his players (and Armas has proven very clearly that he doesn't) then spending doesn't mean anything.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Agree, but the blame should be with Armas the most when I think in some people's eyes, that's not the case. 

Also don't know how much blame can be put on Hamlett either because judging the GM who's provided very little budget just isn't very fair. Definitely should place a lot of blame on ownership because spending means a lot in this league towards winning an MLS cup but if your head coach can't get the most out of his players (and Armas has proven very clearly that he doesn't) then spending doesn't mean anything.

2M of what was provided to Hamlett was spent on a USL player. The one decent signing he did make happened at the close of the transfer window, way too late to turn the season around.

Reasonable people can view the situation in a variety of different ways is all I'm saying.

I happen to agree than a better coach could've managed the team to a better league position and further in the playoffs. I also don't think it's outrageous to claim that Adams alone might also have made a huge difference if he were still around and playing under Armas. Or if RB Global threw around money like Atl or LAFC have, even Hamlett may have been able to sign a difference maker, on time.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics

Or if RB Global threw around money like Atl or LAFC have, even Hamlett may have been able to sign a difference maker, on time.

had dibs on a guy, but took a $50k allocation instead to let LAFC have him. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

I'm sure he wasn't the right fit for the team, though /s

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

if they can get Sims permanently i wouldn't necessarily view that as a mistake. They needed someone who was set up to contribute right away while also being young.  If Sims doesnt come back though it probably wasnt worth it. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

and other news Chicago FIRE FIRE FIRE fired their coach.  Maybe Chris and Hamlett wants back on the sidelines in the Windy City (not saying I want that just that who knows)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics

and other news Chicago FIRE FIRE FIRE fired their coach.  Maybe Chris and Hamlett wants back on the sidelines in the Windy City (not saying I want that just that who knows)

yeah, and watch them win one of the 3 domestic trophies out of the gate.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Chicago FIRE FIRE ... coach. 

https://www.google.c...?outputType=amp
We get a brief mention for the 4-0 playoff thumping.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Under. He is a terrible coach with low end talent. 5 out of first 7 are on the road. The Team starts 1-5-1 and Armas is gone.

What did armas do to you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users