3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:39 AM

ESPN's Heisman watch list
Aside from the usual suspects, Cal's Jahvid Best comes in at #4, and the first non-QB.

As soon as the season starts, he will get hurt.

It's no surprise but it is kind of the 2008 rankings rehashed minus people who split for the pro's...

Name------------------------------Total
Tim Tebow-------QB--Florida------71
Colt McCoy-------QB--Texas------61
Sam Bradford----QB--Oklahoma--48
Jahvid Best-------RB--Cal----------15
Eric Berry----------S---Tennessee--11
Dez Bryant-------WR--Ok State------5
Jevan Snead-----QB---Mississippi----4
Daryll Clark------QB---Penn State---2
Jonathan Dwyer--RB---Georgia Tech--2
Taylor Mays--------S---USC-----------2

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#32 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Tottenham hotspur

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

merged the ucla thread with this.

i probably would say 6-6 for ucla. maybe 7-5 if a few bounces go one way, but maybe 4-8 if they go another way.

#33 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy dickheads! Arsenal

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

ESPN's Heisman watch list
Aside from the usual suspects, Cal's Jahvid Best comes in at #4, and the first non-QB.

Paraphrasing an earlier post:

I hate these things more and more. Pointless! Other than for selling papers and triggering arguments about which 0-0 team player is having the best season after ZERO FUCKING games.

Reason #128 why some form of playoff* makes more sense this is essentially an election campaign and nothing more.

* Apologies for opening that can o' worms for like the 812th time.

Goddamn, Gino Torretta, Andre Ware, Danny Wuerffel, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke-loving hippies!

#34 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:21 PM

Goddamn, Gino Torretta, Andre Ware, Danny Wuerffel, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke-loving hippies!

Gino Toretta has the highest winning percentage as a starting QB in Seahawks history (tied with Glenn Foley): He started one game, which was a win over the Raiders (in like '97).

Therefore, he is a great man, and his Heisman Trophy was completely deserved. :cheers:

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#35 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    --------------------

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:21 PM

Paraphrasing an earlier post:

Yeah, but this is different because there is a Cal player on the list.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#36 dhines

dhines

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, USMNT, Cruz Azul, USC

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

Yeah, but this is different because there is a Cal player on the list.

don't you guys always have someone on that list (at the beginning of the season)?

#37 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    --------------------

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

don't you guys always have someone on that list (at the beginning of the season)?

Not that I recall...Cal has not really been a major draw for great prep players until the last 3-4 years.
With the completion of the athletic center (now that we've evicted some of your tree dwelling cousins) on the horizon, look for Cal's program to become even more of a draw than it is now.

Cal's into moneyball, now...
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------

#38 dhines

dhines

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

Not that I recall...Cal has not really been a major draw for great prep players until the last 3-4 years.
With the completion of the athletic center (now that we've evicted some of your tree dwelling cousins) on the horizon, look for Cal's program to become even more of a draw than it is now.

any cousins of mine would have been up in those trees with guns . . . either pirched up there looking to shoot some deer, possum, or a commi. no way in hell they would be caught dead mixing with tree huggers ;)

btw, IMO for much of this decade cal has had a player on that initial list. you guys have had great talent over the past decade and i expect things to keep getting better.

Posted Image

Cal's into moneyball, now...

since when were you not? ;) who was that basketball player 'on the take' around 1997?

#39 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    --------------------

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

any cousins of mine would have been up in those trees with guns . . . either pirched up there looking to shoot some deer, possum, or a commi. no way in hell they would be caught dead mixing with tree huggers ;)

btw, IMO for much of this decade cal has had a player on that initial list. you guys have had great talent over the past decade and i expect things to keep getting better.

[deleted corny fucking picture]

since when were you not? ;) who was that basketball player 'on the take' around 1997?

"That one guy"? Compared to what every other big time school does..? Nt trying to name names here, but...
Come on...even the all wise and powerful hines can see there is a difference.

Cal's Bball coach before Ben Braun did some shady things, your garden variety ethics violations, and he would have gotten away with it at most other schools since there is a huge machine designed to mask that crap. I'd put what he did at about a 3 on the Bush scale. Quite a few players left the program out of disgust as a result, but that's really not what I mean by moneyball.

A top down approach to pushing the limits of what you can get away with before you get a violation with a system built around it to justify and hide the goings on is what I mean by moneyball. Not until Sandy Barbour came in 5 years ago did that start. Cal was mostly lucky when it won, and Pac-10 punching bag for the rest of the time.

Interestingly, Cal's basketball program is not really involved in the level of "success building" that the football team is now.

I have a theory why it is that Cal didn't start to play moneyball until recently.

Cal grads are NOTORIOUS for not donating money after they graduate. Ever. Stingy fuckers. Seriously. Like Germans in Maine.

When Jason Kidd agreed to come play there in 1991 or so, instantly interest was generated, shirts sold and BING donations came in. The AD's up to Barbour failed to capitalize on the opportunity, but I am pretty sure Barbour was brought in SPECIFICALLY to raise the profile of the football program by putting money into it, and turning the sleepy little Cal brand up north into what U$C is down south. Football success equals alumni donations, something U$C has always known.

Get used to it, because I think this is the direction Cal will be going in for a long long time.

Personally I am mixed on it. I appreciate having something interesting to talk about with Cal, but I always took pride in the "At least we're not scummy" feeling when we lost.

I'm not turning a blind eye to it, and I really really hope Barbour and the machine she is building can walk that fine line between ramping up and not going over the edge. I have to say that history shows that schools that ramp up like this fuck up relatively quickly though so the odds are NOT with me on that one.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------

#40 romero03

romero03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts
  • Supports:USMNT

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

only a couple weeks to go.

i'll be at the season opener for UCLA. :cheers:
Twitter

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders, Galaxy, LA Kings, ASU, Notre Dame(football)

#41 FuzzBall

FuzzBall

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Interests:Football, Fútbol, Fußball, De voetbal, Futebol, フットボール
  • Supports:LA G's, Chelsea F.C.

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

From ESPN:

Are the Trojans vulnerable?

"No," Jahvid Best said.

"I've heard the same thing every year after they lose seven or eight guys to the NFL. Everybody says they're not going to be as good this year. But they come back [every year] and are just as good if not better than the year before. They've proven that no matter how many people leave, they are still going to be one of the best teams in the Pac-10. So we're not counting on them being vulnerable. We're counting on our execution on offense and defense to beat them."

let's see how many yards he gains against a new defense.

#42 dhines

dhines

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

let's see how many yards he gains against a new defense.

9 more days until USC football kicks off the 2009 season . . . i can hardly wait. I am really looking forward to the next couple of weeks because i have no clue how the pac 10 is going to shape up. does USC have the talent to run the table? sure, but that doesn't mean shit. until i see how the offense gels, i am going to hold out on thinking 'undefeated', etc. we have had a great string of quarterbacks that just keep filling in and doing a great job, and i hope that tradition continues.

it just scares the hell out of me to think a true freshman as our starting qb. i don't care how gifted he is, once he gets drilled between the numbers he will be too nervous to make the correct reads, etc. this isn't high school where athletic talent allows you the option of not understanding the playbook. think about it this way . . . with a true freshman at qb, how thick can our playbook really be? at what point will it become very predictable and allow the D to stack its talent against a given play, etc.

if we don't get our real starter back, there is no way i am thinking this season will be a slam dunk.

9/05 San Jose State 3:30 PM
9/12 @ No. 6 Ohio State 8:00 PM
9/19 @ Washington 3:30 PM
9/26 Washington State TBA
10/03 @ No. 12 California 8:00 PM
10/17 @ No. 23 Notre Dame 3:30 PM
10/24 Oregon State 8:00 PM
10/31 @ No. 16 Oregon 8:00 PM
11/07 @ Arizona State 8:00 PM
11/14 Stanford TBA
11/28 UCLA 10:00 PM
12/05 Arizona 3:30 PM

i know a lot of trojan fans will think we should walk all over the pac 10, but away games at cal, oregon and arizona state are no gimmies. call me a fool, but i am not worried about the games at Ohio State or ND, our boys will get up for those games. away games in the pac 10 have always been the difference between controlling our own destiny and hoping the cards fall right.

btw, fuck ucla . . . we are going to kick their ass. how do i know this? simple . . . sign guy already said they are going to beat SC, and we know how his college football predictions work.

;)

bill --

what are your thoughts on florida? aside from tebow, i don't know much about their 2009 squad.

#43 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Tottenham hotspur

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:32 PM

gen buck - i may be goin up to berkeley for the cal/sc game this year. (bro-in-law and now gf's bro are both cal alum)

any advice on good watering holes much appreciated.....

#44 dhines

dhines

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:38 PM

gen buck - i may be goin up to berkeley for the cal/sc game this year. (bro-in-law and now gf's bro are both cal alum)

any advice on good watering holes much appreciated.....

as someone that has made that trip 3 - 4 times, i will chime in on this.

if you head over to 'the triangle' after the game (or pretty much anywhere in the SF area), expect to see a ton of piss drunk college aged SC folk. that is a huge travel game for the SC student body. so in other words, i would avoid that area because we all know how annoying drunk frat folk can be. hopefully buck will be able to steer you to a place where you won't have to run into the 20's crowd.

#45 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    --------------------

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:03 AM

Let me just grab Sherman and Mr Peabody, get in the Wayback Machine ™ and tell you all the cool places from 1989.

I went to the UCLA/Cal game last year, and ended up in the Pyramid Brewery. I would go to the Triple Rock Brewery next time, but that's just me. Triple Rock is walking distance from Memorial Stadium. I'm not afraid of college students, unlike hiney, so it's all good. I might also recommend Alice Water's famous Chez Panisse on the Northside 'gourmet ghetto'. It's pricey, but it's world class cuisine in a place that you will already be at...I'm sure they'll love you in your Cal gear.

EDIT: You should make a reservation NOW if you want to go to Chez Panisse...
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users