16 replies to this topic

SoccerAddict

SoccerAddict

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, MLS

If Petke keeps insisting on playing Henry at left mid, we will do absolutely nothing in the playoffs. He is Thierry Henry, and you are leaving him on an island on the left side of the field. And you wonder why Columbus carved us apart when they had the ball, and we couldn't do anything when we did have the ball. He's the best #10 we will ever have, and Petke you are sticking him at left midfield. You play Henry up top with BWP, its simple. Don't get fucking cute. If it means you have to bench Luyindula, then do it. 

Thierry's Bald Spot

Thierry's Bald Spot

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
Oyongo is better at LM anyways.

Put titi right behind bwp where peggy is playing

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

I think Thierry asked to be moved out there. It happened after this season's version of "the talk." There are many benefits which I would look like an idiot explaining compared to Mr Henry himself. But Petke rightfully respects and trusts Henry's opinion. He is one of the absolute greatest soccer minds on the planet and I believe the eventual successor to Arsene Wenger. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

If Petke keeps insisting on playing Henry at left mid, we will do absolutely nothing in the playoffs. He is Thierry Henry, and you are leaving him on an island on the left side of the field. And you wonder why Columbus carved us apart when they had the ball, and we couldn't do anything when we did have the ball. He's the best #10 we will ever have, and Petke you are sticking him at left midfield. You play Henry up top with BWP, its simple. Don't get fucking cute. If it means you have to bench Luyindula, then do it. 

Its not about getting Peguy on the field it is about playing Henry at Left Wing where he has been successful for years.  Its not an island it is a dangerous attacking location.  Didn't work well against Columbus because Columbus marked the heck out of BWP and NYRB played poorly including Peguy, Miller, Alexander and Dax who are important to making that formation work. 

That being said Henry should be at CAM.  Peguy has been below average this year.  We are a better team with Henry at CAM and Oyongo at Left Wing. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

He had to get cute, the formation you want to revert back to had the team on the brink of missing the playoffs. We took 1.3 PPG using the 4-4-2 this season, which is below the red line in either conference. We've taken 1.85 PPG with the 4-2-3-1, which is in line with the current Supporter's Shield frontrunners.  

Henry's production hasn't fallen off in the new formation either, he's still creating a ton of opportunities and pitching in goals. Like others have said, he is probably better used in the middle with Oyongo out left since Peguy isn't playing well at the moment, but Henry definitely hasn't been wasted out on the left side.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I actually like Henry out there.  Against the tougher teams I believe he ends up with the ball more and that's a good thing.  He's able to get "lost" out there in terms of the the defenders more easily.  If he played behind BWP, he's an easy mark.  

I'm happy with it and think it's a big reason for the team's success lately.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
------------BWP------------
---Oyongo---Henry---Sam----
-----Dax----Alexander-----
Back 4
Robles

Done.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I like wanting to get Oyongo on the field, but just get him out there at right back.

Role with Peguy and sometimes Cahill.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

------------BWP------------
---Oyongo---Henry---Sam----
-----Dax----Alexander-----
Back 4
Robles

Done.

Bring in Peggy late for possession when we are ahead...

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I like wanting to get Oyongo on the field, but just get him out there at right back.

Role with Peguy and sometimes Cahill.

A little late to be experimenting like that.  Not sure why Ecks is still in ahead of Duvall.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Bring in Peggy late for possession when we are ahead...

After the last game possesion for us or the other team? :D

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

SoccerAddict

SoccerAddict

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

If you are in the middle of the field, you are almost always available for a pass. Not necessarily open, but at least an option. It leaves him more freedom to float around the field, find pockets of space and do what he does best: create. When he plays on the wing, he is limited in where he can roam, and it also leaves the team wide open to counter-attacks. 

Do you know when we started creating chances against Columbus? In the second half when Henry moved underneath BWP. 

You need to have a motor to play on the wing, at this point in his career, Henry does not have that. His tools are best utilized as a #10, and are wasted in any other position. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

If you are in the middle of the field, you are almost always available for a pass. Not necessarily open, but at least an option. It leaves him more freedom to float around the field, find pockets of space and do what he does best: create. When he plays on the wing, he is limited in where he can roam, and it also leaves the team wide open to counter-attacks. 

Do you know when we started creating chances against Columbus? In the second half when Henry moved underneath BWP. 

You need to have a motor to play on the wing, at this point in his career, Henry does not have that. His tools are best utilized as a #10, and are wasted in any other position. 

I don't think anyone disagrees that it'd be better to have Henry in the #10 role and Oyongo out left, but you're making it out to be an irreparable disaster having him out on the left and we've seen with our own eyes that its not. Henry's been out on the left for weeks, he's still been effective, the team has been winning more than it was before the shift. Maybe this past week Petke thought Oyongo was fatigued or that Peguy had a particularly good week in training. I'm sure we'll see Henry in the middle again, and there's no reason to freak out if he's not.

SoccerAddict

SoccerAddict

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Alright lets look at the most recent games then:

Left mid against Columbus: embarassing 3-1 defeat at home

Up top against Toronto at home: 3-1 win. 

Left mid against Houston: eeked out a 1-0 victory at home against a horrible Dynamo team

Left mid against LA: lost 4-0, completely blown out and out-classed.

He played up top against Seattle: dominating 4-1 victory.

Left mid against Philly: unconvincing 2-2 draw

Left mid against DC: 1-0 win

Up top against SKC: 2-1 win 

When he plays up top:  3-0

Left Mid: 2-2-1

I seem to be missing the part where we play well when Henry plays left mid. 

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Alright lets look at the most recent games then:

Left mid against Columbus: embarassing 3-1 defeat at home

Up top against Toronto at home: 3-1 win. 

Left mid against Houston: eeked out a 1-0 victory at home against a horrible Dynamo team

Left mid against LA: lost 4-0, completely blown out and out-classed.

He played up top against Seattle: dominating 4-1 victory.

Left mid against Philly: unconvincing 2-2 draw

Left mid against DC: 1-0 win

Up top against SKC: 2-1 win 

When he plays up top:  3-0

Left Mid: 2-2-1

I seem to be missing the part where we play well when Henry plays left mid. 

Sounds good, buy you have only listed a few games for your comparison piece above. 

Thierry on the corner of the box must be the most feared thing among all the defenders in MLS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users